Social Workers applying for Child Protection Posts in WA

livethedream

Are there any social workers out there applying for sponsored Child Protection posts advertised for WA? Would be great to share experiences. I am awaiting my police check to come back so I can submit my application. They are sponsoring for a 457 visa. Anyone out there have experience of social work in WA. Also, what are the downfalls of a 457 visa and how much would it cost for schooling my soon to be 4 and 8 year old? Also, hubby wouldn,t be able to follow me to Oz for another 1 1/2 years due to him currently being in the military....is this a problem on a 457 visa??? Oh, and anyone any idea how long the process is likely to take from interview to securing job and visa....being optomisic!!!! Many thanks in advance of anticipated responses!!!:rolleyes:

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Suzanne

I am in the process of applying but have not submitted my application as yet so it will be interesting to see what reponse you get to your post, i did secure a position 4n years ago to work in Victoria but the timing was all wrong for us a family, I have worked with a few aussies over here and am aware that policy and procedures can be very different. I too will be anxiously awaiting any responses.

thanks

Thanks for your response Beverleyblue. Please keep me posted on how you get on. Have you thought about areas you will consider? I am thinking the metropolitan areas rather than country (if successful, of course!). I've got to get busy completing my CV and so on. You mentioned family, so i guess you have children. i'll keep you updated on here and maybe we can share tips and so on. Good luck with your application.

Suzanne

what are the downfalls of a 457 visa

You are not eligible for family tax benefit or rent allowance which can be a considerable sum, particularly if you have children. Can't help with the cost of schooling although I do believe that 457's in Qld do not pay, unlike other States.

Child safety workers are considerably understaffed and underpaid, although the pay issue is currently under review via a Gov't incentive attempting to address the fact of women's lower pay in general with particular attention to "social services"..........women making up the vast majority of child safety officers

Good luck

I have gone for state sponsorship as I was worried about being stuck in a job I might hate, at least with that I can change jobs as long as I stay within Vic. I am a SW in adult services. I had my skills assessed by AASW in aug which took about 8wks and just over 600qd. Then I applied for state sponsorship in nov and got a positive response on 4/1/12. I lodged my application for a 176 on 8/1/12. I think uprooting the kids is the hardest bit thats why i went for the 176 bcoz its a secure and i won't have to worry about fees and renewing visas. I hope all goes well for you.

Thank you Tellingitlikeitis.

It's best to be aware of the drawbacks of the 457. My thinking is that if i'm saving on relocation costs, flights etc, then i will have gained. If successful, and we go, then i would be looking for a permanent visa after 2 years which WA government have said they would sponsor if they are happy with the employee. Good to know that they are evaluating the pay too! Although i am not optimistic about that...they did a job evalauation here a few years ago, and i received a one off payment of £600!

Thanks for your feedback

Suzanne

:rolleyes:

I have gone for state sponsorship as I was worried about being stuck in a job I might hate, at least with that I can change jobs as long as I stay within Vic. I am a SW in adult services. I had my skills assessed by AASW in aug which took about 8wks and just over 600qd. Then I applied for state sponsorship in nov and got a positive response on 4/1/12. I lodged my application for a 176 on 8/1/12. I think uprooting the kids is the hardest bit thats why i went for the 176 bcoz its a secure and i won't have to worry about fees and renewing visas. I hope all goes well for you.

Hi Roseyfuture,

Yes i can understand why you went for the 176. I was all set to go down that route, but my thinking is with WA undertaking a UK recruitment campaign, i would hope to be able to settle in easier if some of my UK colleagues are starting at the same time. I would much prefer the 176, but i am thinking some of the stress would be taken out of the process if the employer is specifically targeting UK social workers, with training upon arrival and so on. As mentioned in my other post, the relocation costs are also an attractive feature and have influenced my decision to apply.

I too looked at Victoria, but always had my heart set on WA. I work in Adults like yourself, addictions to be specific, but i'm hoping my previous experience in Child Protection would be enough for me to get an interview. And if successful, i hope i like the job lol!!

I agree the worst part is uprooting the kids, wondering if schools are as good as where they are now and missing their extended family...but if we don't give it a try we will never know. Much better to have tried than sit back in 10 years and have regrets.

Won't be long till you get your visa then! When are you hoping to get there? How old are your children....sorry being nosy....it's the social worker in me :chatterbox:.

Thank you for your response. Wishing you all the best in you and your families journey, please let me know how you get on.

Regards,

Suzanne

Are there any social workers out there applying for sponsored Child Protection posts advertised for WA? Would be great to share experiences. I am awaiting my police check to come back so I can submit my application. They are sponsoring for a 457 visa. Anyone out there have experience of social work in WA. Also, what are the downfalls of a 457 visa and how much would it cost for schooling my soon to be 4 and 8 year old? Also, hubby wouldn,t be able to follow me to Oz for another 1 1/2 years due to him currently being in the military....is this a problem on a 457 visa??? Oh, and anyone any idea how long the process is likely to take from interview to securing job and visa....being optomisic!!!! Many thanks in advance of anticipated responses!!!:rolleyes:

Hi Suzanne,

I worked for Department for Child Protection in Perth, WA, before I moved back to Canada. We did have a few sponsered Child Protection workers, some from Ireland, the UK and New Zealand.

Didn't seem to be a problem for most of them. The one girl Rosie from Ireland was even in a level 5 position temporarily, even though she was hired as a 2/4. I know Rosie was having some issues with the LAFHA, but DCP is a state gov agency, so they were a little slow on the uptake lol !!.

If you need more info, please feel free to PM me.

Thanks

Karen

Hi Suzanne,

I hope it won't be long too, I need to do it all before I get spooked by the whole idea. My kids are 7 and 16months, both boys. I kinda think its better to do it now than when they are older. And I agree that its better to try it than to live with the I wish I had syndrome.

I am sure the route you are taking is cost effective, The process is so dear doing it the way I am. I just hope it will all pay off in the long run. The social work salaries in some jobs seem to be much better than over here so hopefully we will be quids in as well as positive weather.:wub:

Hi Suzanne

I have been busy chasing up references I have 15 years experience in child protection so the post by twinsmom 65 was interesting, when we were considering Victoria I tried to get a clear picture regarding LAFHA (living away from home allowance but did not get anywhere) We have two children age 8 and 11 although our daughter is almost 12 and has stated she is not coming with us !!!:biglaugh:

I was interviewed via telephone last time which was interesting considering it was 7am here

I will keep you posted good luck

bev

• 2 weeks later...

LAFHA is not going to be available for much longer so if you've factored that into your financial calculations you'll probably need to revisit that.

RE the original post I came over on a 457 visa, this took a very short space of time, from interview to offer to being here it was 4 months and that was with me factoring in a further month delay so that we could attend a family wedding.

I guess the drawbacks of a 457 are that you would have to pay on the school fees for your children, you would have no access to the 'benefits/healthcare' system, if your 457 sponsor withdraws their sponsorship you have 28 days to secure another sponsor or you must leave the country - so if you really dislike your job you're stuck unless you can find another employer willing to take it over OR if you lose your job or don't successfully complete your probation then you have 28 days to find another job and sponsor.

Guest daisychain262

Hi all,

Just been reading this thread and I am in the process of applying for the CP posts being advertised in WA. I already have my police checks and am just finishing off my covering letter ready to apply tomorrow. Have no experience of emigrating or working overseas, just 9 yrs CP experience. My son is 17 and wants to come with me, my husband is in the RAF but is prepared to leave (he's served 25 yrs and a little jaded), we have 3 dogs which i cannot leave behind. It all seems very confusing and I don't know what is the best route to take to fulfil our dream of heading to Oz. Any advice gratefully received :cool:

Hi all,

Just been reading this thread and I am in the process of applying for the CP posts being advertised in WA. I already have my police checks and am just finishing off my covering letter ready to apply tomorrow. Have no experience of emigrating or working overseas, just 9 yrs CP experience. My son is 17 and wants to come with me, my husband is in the RAF but is prepared to leave (he's served 25 yrs and a little jaded), we have 3 dogs which i cannot leave behind. It all seems very confusing and I don't know what is the best route to take to fulfil our dream of heading to Oz. Any advice gratefully received :cool:

Hi Daisy chain...did you get your application in. I was up working very late Thursday night to get mine in. My attitude was, i would apply and see what comes of it, then make my decision if i were to be offered a post. Like your hubby, mine still has 2 years left to serve before he leaves and gets his pension. It wouldn't be worth him leaving before then as would lose his pension. So my dilemma is do i come over with the kids and have probably a year without him being around (apart from leave). We are used to long separations, and my mum has agreed to join me for a year to help out with kids - she has a new zealand passport so is able to live in Oz without having to apply for visa etc. Decisions, decisions...don't know if i am going to be brave enough to take the leap if i get the opportunity.

Let us know how you get on.

Good Luck

Suzanne x

Hi I came out from Manchester uk to gippsland during the victoria recruit 2 years ago. As a family with 3 kids it's the best thing we ever did. Don't get me wrong child protection here is hard work and learning all the new legislation etc is a nightmare :( but here in oz we work to live and don't live to work so family time makes it all worth while :biggrin:

Louise

Hi I came out from Manchester uk to gippsland during the victoria recruit 2 years ago. As a family with 3 kids it's the best thing we ever did. Don't get me wrong child protection here is hard work and learning all the new legislation etc is a nightmare :( but here in oz we work to live and don't live to work so family time makes it all worth while :biggrin:

Louise

Nice, well earned pay rises coming over the next few years as well chook. You all deserve it highly

kev

As I related in another post there are plenty of jobs available in Child Protection as the work is unpopular and rather difficult to keep people. I would take great care in coming in on a 457 to work in this area. Fair enough if have the choice to be able to move to another job if that doesn't work but to be stuck in that area could prove a long couple of years.

Not sure about the work to live and not live to work either. This was the case a decade or so back but these days the cost of living has curtailed this to a degree.

Agree with the above...................social workers are greatly undervalued (salary wise) and if you ain't got the salary, then you've got to work to live. From experience, the pressures are enormous and the work is very low paid. As a foster carer I got more in fostering allowance weekly, than my Child Protection Ofiicer receieved.

Hi all!!! I have today received an email inviting me to an interview via Skype!! Has anyone else heard yet?

Lynsey

Hi Lynsee,

Congratulations. I had an e mail and like you been invited for skype interview. Mine is 20th feb, at 8 in the morning, should be interesting trying to get the kids out of the house that time in the morning.... what about you? Let me know how you go. Not sure what to make of the case study half hour before the interview. Have a test of skype link next wednesday.

Have you asked for metro or country area?

Anyway, good luck and keep us posted .

Suzanne x

Congratulations :) In reply to my comment that I work to live rather than live to work maybe I am just lucky to have landed in a fantastic team or maybe my uk experience wasn't great. I have been doing child protection 6 years and it's the same here as it is in the uk. But the way I see it is the sunshines while ur doing it here. Everyone's experience will be different but the experience is what you make it. The fact they have to recruit from the uk is a clear indication of how they struggle to retain staff but staff retention and pay in the uk are rubbish to so if it's what you have dreamed of go for it!!!! And hopefully your experience will be as fantastic as mine has been

There is a lot of disquiet in the area but pay rates are higher than UK. Saying that it is perhaps necessary to remind oneself that the cost of living is high. Social Work pay is rather low beside other professions especially when taking into account the cost of living.

Would really require two salary earners to have any sort of living standard,especially if renting. I know a lot of folk who have left the area mostly due to conditions and a number of work places can be difficult,shall we say, to work in. Not always down to the team and changes but often ineffective management has a role to play.

Anyhow good luck. It would allow you a foot in the door in the sense of getting into Australia.

Hi Flag of Convenience,

Whilst i take on board everything you have said in the above post, much the same can be said about social work in the UK. There is a lot of discontent within the profession, underpaid, over worked, damned if we do, damned if we don't. Social work in the UK is challenging as i'm sure it is in Oz. I know people who have left their jobs and gone on to be yoga instructors and teaching assistants. There is a high burn out rate. I can't imagine any social worker in the UK expecting to go to Oz would think it was going to be an easier ride. It's a bloody hard job, whether here or in Oz. As for the pay, we need 2 of working here in the UK, as would be the same in Oz, with slightly better pay! I do believe good pay rises are planned for social workers in Oz over the coming years. Like you say, it's a foot in the door, and could be eating my words soon lol!

Regards

Suzanne

Very interesting to hear of all the social workers planning to go to Oz! Please keep us updated with your progress Live the dream and Loopyloo13! I am currently working in the UK in CP and is hoping to try and get a position in Aus one day. First want to get my PR ...think it is safer to do it that way.

Please let us know how much the pay is and how the work conditions are!

All the best for the interviews. To prepare I think most of the Departments have manuals and procedural files where one can get "tips" on legislation and best practice. Might be worth your effort to have a look at it. http://manuals.dcp.wa.gov.au/manuals/cpm/Pages/default.aspx

Archived