EOI Help - claiming education points!

kubby

Hi Guys,

I need some clarification on claiming points for my education.

I have been certified by ACS under "Computer Network and System engineer". They have certified my experience of 8 years. They have also certified my certifications under it. These microsoft certifications (Microsoft certified IT professional-MCITP) have been considered equvilant to AQF diploma. I can claim 10 points for it.

Apart from this I also have a "Bachelor of business administration- BBA" degree but ACS has not certified that as a part of my application.

My agent tells me that we can put BBA under my EOI and claim 15 points for it, even when it has not been certified by an australian authority.

If I add My bachelor(not certified by any australian authority) , my points total up to 70 points. I can't claim points for my Dimploma (Certied by ACS) then. If the case offier does not consider my uncertified bachelors my point would become 55 then and i will have issues with my PR application then.

In this senario, will I be required to re-apply the EOI claiming the diploma points.

OR i simply don't put in my bachelors in the application. Claim points for diploma. My total points come down to 65.

What do you guys suggests????

I am planning to put my EOI by this weekend and any answers in this regard will be highly appreciated.

Cheers,

Kubby

As I understand it DIAC will do their own checks/certifying for education and employment anyway, so if you have a degree you can claim the points for it. Although I am only just starting out, so I'd suggest you wait for a more qualified response!

Hi Guys,

I need some clarification on claiming points for my education.

I have been certified by ACS under "Computer Network and System engineer". They have certified my experience of 8 years. They have also certified my certifications under it. These microsoft certifications (Microsoft certified IT professional-MCITP) have been considered equvilant to AQF diploma. I can claim 10 points for it.

Apart from this I also have a "Bachelor of business administration- BBA" degree but ACS has not certified that as a part of my application.

My agent tells me that we can put BBA under my EOI and claim 15 points for it, even when it has not been certified by an australian authority.

If I add My bachelor(not certified by any australian authority) , my points total up to 70 points. I can't claim points for my Dimploma (Certied by ACS) then. If the case offier does not consider my uncertified bachelors my point would become 55 then and i will have issues with my PR application then.

In this senario, will I be required to re-apply the EOI claiming the diploma points.

OR i simply don't put in my bachelors in the application. Claim points for diploma. My total points come down to 65.

What do you guys suggests????

I am planning to put my EOI by this weekend and any answers in this regard will be highly appreciated.

Cheers,

Kubby

you can claim the 15 points for having a bachelors degree.

There is a website that was posted on here.

https://aei.gov.au/Services-And-Resources/Services/Country-Education-Profiles/About-CEP/Pages/default.aspx

But if your agent is registered and reputable I guess you should have no reason to doubt them. If it were me and they were registered I would get them to confirm your query in writing/email. That way at least you have covered yourself.

Edited by mattybe

There is a website that was posted on here.

https://aei.gov.au/Services-And-Resources/Services/Country-Education-Profiles/About-CEP/Pages/default.aspx

But if your agent is registered and reputable I guess you should have no reason to doubt them. If it were me and they were registered I would get them to confirm your query in writing/email. That way at least you have covered yourself.

Thanks for the link, Mattybe.

I went to through the website and it says "Our assessments do not: qualify you for migration to Australia".. My understanding is although its not for migration purpose but it gives you fair bit of idea. Also, I could not find a direct link or Document on this website which tells me if my University course ('Bachelors of Business Administration'from 'Chaudhary Charan Signh University, India') is considered equivalent to Australian Bachelors. Although I can request for an assessment from them but it does not make any sense as I can get that done from VETASSESS.

My Agent is registered but I am not feeling confident in him after speaking to him on this and yes he has given that to me in written. This is the reason I want to understand this myself and decide on how to progress.

More importantly, I first want to be very sure that there is no need to get the Education degree certified from an Australian Authority to claim the 15 points-Bachelors. If it is mandatory then I will go ahead and apply with VETASSESS but this would delay my EOI again with 4-6 weeks (if I am lucky).

And if not, then I will go ahead and put in my application with getting the degree assessed. But then if the case officer does not find it equivalent I would loose all my application money. :(

BTW, I read you last comment before you edited it. I have also been on the receiving end of getting incorrect advice from a "registered" agent, in the past. And hence, all this!

Thanks again. I really appreciate all your help till now.

So I have found that the Bachelors need not be certified by any Authority. It is NOT MANDATORY.

Please refer to http://pastebin.com/TVexSXyV (Information I got from my Agent)

Having it certified from VETASSESS is beneficial but not mandatory.

"In instances where neither the relevant assessing authority nor VETASSESS has provided an opinion on an applicant’s qualifications, case officers must assess the qualification claims presented by the applicant. In such scenarios case officers should take into consideration any relevant information that is available to them, including information available on Country Education Profiles, advice from AEI - NOOSA and any other relevant evidence provided by the applicant."

Bottom line: If I dont get my Bachelors accessed by VETASSESS then its upto the case officer's discretion. As Mattybe suggested above, I need to find out if my University course is relevant as per "Country Education Profiles, advice from AEI - NOOSA".

Cheers,

Kubby

Edited by kubby

• 2 months later...

Hi Kubby

Congrats on getting your visa and thanks for posting this question as it is one on my mind too. Hope to get your point of view about my situation.

I recently received a positive skills assessment from Vetassess, and likewise they did not take my degree into consideration.

My degree was issued by RMIT University in Australia, however as I had exemptions for many subjects due to an affiliation with the school issuing my diploma, the total length of study was only 2 semesters. I am concerned too as to whether I should include this degree as part of my claim in my EOI. I will be able to provide a copy of my degree and transcripts as supporting evidence.

What's your take? Should I just go ahead and include my degree? I am about 5 months shy of my 33rd birthday, and hope not to lose another 5 points for the change in age should the application be rejected. Btw, will be applying for a 190 visa with WA.

Appreciative of any advise you (or anyone else) could offer,

Kip

Hi Kubby

Congrats on getting your visa and thanks for posting this question as it is one on my mind too. Hope to get your point of view about my situation.

I recently received a positive skills assessment from Vetassess, and likewise they did not take my degree into consideration.

My degree was issued by RMIT University in Australia, however as I had exemptions for many subjects due to an affiliation with the school issuing my diploma, the total length of study was only 2 semesters. I am concerned too as to whether I should include this degree as part of my claim in my EOI. I will be able to provide a copy of my degree and transcripts as supporting evidence.

What's your take? Should I just go ahead and include my degree? I am about 5 months shy of my 33rd birthday, and hope not to lose another 5 points for the change in age should the application be rejected. Btw, will be applying for a 190 visa with WA.

Appreciative of any advise you (or anyone else) could offer,

Kip

Thanks Kip.

Alright.. here is the thing... as I mentioned above you don't need your degree to be certified by any Oz Authority to claim your points. I was successfully able to claim 15 points for my Business degree.. In my case, I did a Bachelors of Business which was a 3 years course with 6 semester. This was NOT an Australian Degree.

Now I am not sure what was the exact length of your 2 semesters... I am also not sure what implication having an Oz degree in your case might have as you might be able to claim extra 5 points under "Australian study requirements".

All I had to do was to find if my Degree was Relevant as per CEP (Country Education Profiles)... Here is another thread which I started to get more information in my case:

http://www.pomsinoz.com/forum/migration-issues/177121-how-find-if-university-course-relevant-per-country-education-profiles-aei-noosa.html

I would suggest you go through it.

Bottom line (in cases like mine): If your degree is relevant as per CEP then you don't need to get your degree certified.

Please let me know if you need any additional information.

BTW: I really like people (like you) who make a genuine effort to get the information they want and not just start another thread.

Please keep me posted on your progress.

​Cheers

So I have found that the Bachelors need not be certified by any Authority. It is NOT MANDATORY.

Please refer to http://pastebin.com/TVexSXyV (Information I got from my Agent)

Having it certified from VETASSESS is beneficial but not mandatory.

"In instances where neither the relevant assessing authority nor VETASSESS has provided an opinion on an applicant’s qualifications, case officers must assess the qualification claims presented by the applicant. In such scenarios case officers should take into consideration any relevant information that is available to them, including information available on Country Education Profiles, advice from AEI - NOOSA and any other relevant evidence provided by the applicant."

Cheers,

Kubby

Does that mean that vetassess is not mandatory for any qualifications? Even trades with NVQ3??

Does that mean that vetassess is not mandatory for any qualifications? Even trades with NVQ3??

Does that mean that vetassess is not mandatory for any qualifications? Yes, if your Degree is relevant as per CEP.

Even trades with NVQ3?? After quick googling I came to know NVQ refers to "National Vocational Qualification".. And I really don't have any idea in this regard !

Cheers[h=3][/h]

Thanks Kip.

Alright.. here is the thing... as I mentioned above you don't need your degree to be certified by any Oz Authority to claim your points. I was successfully able to claim 15 points for my Business degree.. In my case, I did a Bachelors of Business which was a 3 years course with 6 semester. This was NOT an Australian Degree.

Now I am not sure what was the exact length of your 2 semesters... I am also not sure what implication having an Oz degree in your case might have as you might be able to claim extra 5 points under "Australian study requirements".

All I had to do was to find if my Degree was Relevant as per CEP (Country Education Profiles)... Here is another thread which I started to get more information in my case:

http://www.pomsinoz.com/forum/migration-issues/177121-how-find-if-university-course-relevant-per-country-education-profiles-aei-noosa.html

I would suggest you go through it.

Bottom line (in cases like mine): If your degree is relevant as per CEP then you don't need to get your degree certified.

Please let me know if you need any additional information.

BTW: I really like people (like you) who make a genuine effort to get the information they want and not just start another thread.

Please keep me posted on your progress.

​Cheers

Thanks for your advice. I had seen your other thread and checked out AEI too, however what they do is assess foreign education against the standards of australian education, so there's no guide for Oz degrees. My Oz degree is not applicable for another 5 points as total duration was less than 2 years.

Will probably go ahead to include my degree in my EOI, proceed with the state sponsorship and pray!!

• 2 years later...

Hi Kubby,

hope ur still active... U.S. Is the only thread I found with this topic...

i'm a marine engr.. My skills have been assessed by AMSA.. I too have done a bachelors in business administration through correspondence from University of Madras.. Can u guide me if I can claim points for that directly? Or should I go thru vet assess to be sure (cause it was done thru correspondence.. However no such thing is mentioned on the certificate).. Can u help me with the CEP assessment cause I can't find it anywhere.. Thanks in advance..

Thans is to all the members in this thread.

Hi Kubby,

hope ur still active... U.S. Is the only thread I found with this topic...

i'm a marine engr.. My skills have been assessed by AMSA.. I too have done a bachelors in business administration through correspondence from University of Madras.. Can u guide me if I can claim points for that directly? Or should I go thru vet assess to be sure (cause it was done thru correspondence.. However no such thing is mentioned on the certificate).. Can u help me with the CEP assessment cause I can't find it anywhere.. Thanks in advance..

Thans is to all the members in this thread.

If you hold a qualification that was positively assessed and taken into account in your skills assessment, you should be awarded 10 points, for a recognised degree-level qualification (in any discipline) 15 points. if you are unclear, may I suggest you consult a registered migration agent for an opinion?

If you hold a qualification that was positively assessed and taken into account in your skills assessment, you should be awarded 10 points, for a recognised degree-level qualification (in any discipline) 15 points. if you are unclear, may I suggest you consult a registered migration agent for an opinion?

Hi wrussell.. I don't think I was clear in my last post.. The BBA degree is not related to my field so AMSA did not assess it.. I have a trade certificate for marine engineering which AMSA has assessed.. I'm going to Aus on the 2nd of Sept to attend an oral examination after which AMSA will issue the skill assessment letter.

Since the other member was in the same situation - having a degree unrelated to his field and not assessed- I was wondering if I could do the same too I.e. Claim 15 points for the degree.

Hi wrussell.. I don't think I was clear in my last post.. The BBA degree is not related to my field so AMSA did not assess it.. I have a trade certificate for marine engineering which AMSA has assessed.. I'm going to Aus on the 2nd of Sept to attend an oral examination after which AMSA will issue the skill assessment letter.

Since the other member was in the same situation - having a degree unrelated to his field and not assessed- I was wondering if I could do the same too I.e. Claim 15 points for the degree.

for a recognised degree-level qualification (in any discipline) 15 points

• 4 months later...

Hi chrisd,

I am also in same boat.

I am a deck officer,hold a degree by DU correspondence.My AMSA assessment yet to be done,but that will fetch me only 10.

Will I be able claim for 15 pts for degree ? if yes,who will assess and is it mandatory before EOI , put some light

I think you were perfectly clear and wrussell totally understood.

Hi.. I did not send my degree for assessment.. Claimed 15 points for it though.. This was on the advice of the agent that I'm going thru ( there is no need of an agent which I realise now). I also found some info from another website which gives some more info on the same subject saying no need of verification and that we can directly claim.. I have excess points, 70, so even if they deduct for the unverified degree I'm still safe..

Hi.. I did not send my degree for assessment.. Claimed 15 points for it though.. This was on the advice of the agent that I'm going thru ( there is no need of an agent which I realise now). I also found some info from another website which gives some more info on the same subject saying no need of verification and that we can directly claim.. I have excess points, 70, so even if they deduct for the unverified degree I'm still safe..

Wrong I'm afraid. If you have claimed more points than you are actually due they don't just take them

off and you are safe. They refuse your application and keep your application fee. What's why agents can be so valuable as they should make sure you are not claiming and points you are not entitled to.