Moving to Victoria, advice appreciated on best suburbs??

Zenobia

We are moving to victoria in October 2016, started a preliminary search on suburbs and results seem to tell us the Point Cook offers affordable housing but many threads on here say the traffic is horrendous to CBD in the mornings?! Any advice on other areas to live with good primary and secondary schools? I have two girls, aged 8 and 3.. We have a budget of £400k for a house an are after a 2 storey 4 bedroom property. Also looking for an area with good community links, don't want to have to travel so far for amenities. thanks!!

You could rent a house using the interest on your savings which here in Australia is good while you look at where you would really like to live

look into first time buyers grant which you will get if not had a house in Australia before,a saving of a huge amount in Melbourne, don't waste it by buying a house you rush into, then won't to move

caravan parks have units where you can stay as long as at very reduced costs for stays longer than six weeks

kids would love it

look up caravan parks Melbourne see how you go, we lived in one for over a year before buying a house

best wishes

2 storey, 4 bed for $400k within close range of the cbd?

Id be amazed if you could find one.

Maybe if you work and live rural?

Not sure if OP actually meant £400k which is about $750k and with that amount I am sure there a lot of suburbs in reach......but then the post reads as $400k so it isnt really clear. Not sure $400k gets you a two storey 4 bed in Point Cook, unless its really further inside PC

Rush hours : I've read on previous posts that traffic is fine if you leave before 8am, pretty clear. It's the 8 to 9 peak rush hour that's horrible. Some folks drive to the nearest station like Laverton and train it 40mins to CBD

KnK

the op budge of 400000 pounds would get a house within 20 km of Melbourne. Most within 10 looking at a million these days for decent house. Peak hour is terrible anywhere in Melbourne these days. Gridlock is what is called. Freeways are car parks from 7 am till 10 am and peak traffic starts to build about 2.30 to 3 in the afternoon these days. People stagger their hours but because we now have 2 million more people and no new infrastructure to speak of, getting to work is a nightmare for some. My daughter lives in Brunswick and it takes her nearly an hour to get to work on the tram.

Don't come here - Melbourne traffic is a nightmare - we have 1970s roads trying to cope with 2016 traffic - try 30 mins to travel a mile in peak hour - and that's in the outer south eastern suburbs. $800,000 won't buy anything decent close to the CBD. What's the British obsession with 2 storey houses? They are horrible for Australian conditions. In summer the top storey becomes an oven. If you have to work in the CBD buy a house within walking distance to a station and train it in.

Traffic doesn't seem that bad. I drive in from Seaford into the CBD on a friday, about 50k. leave about 6:45 and arrive around 7:30, in time for breakfast. Rest of the week is train to save on parking. 1 hr commute.no dramas.

Its not that bad from our area because we have the sea on one side and no traffic coming from there, but move over towards the Monash and its dire.

Thanks. I just spat tea on my computer screen! :biglaugh:

So there's no cars in the sea, but there are lots of cars on the Monash.

And thats todays traffic report from CaptainObviousFM.

Tune in later for more news on traffic reports of traffic queues on Flinders Street, but strangely no queues of traffic on the Yarra which is right beside it!

:wink:

Edited by Suzukiscottie