Should we bring fridge freezer???

Guest pauli77

Guest pauli77

Hi all,

We were not going to bring the fridge freezer but looking at prices to buy a new one has made our eyes water!! Don't know whether we should bring it with us? Has anyone got any advice

Thanks

in all honesty if you can guarantee that you'll have use of a fridge until yours turns up then go for it. but we have found that our shipment is arriving later than expoected and we moved into a house and needed a fridge so had to buy one:err:and yes they are expensive (in fact nothing is cheap in this bloody country). to hire one you would have to sign up to 18month contract.

Guest Guest31881

As everyone has said if its a decent fridge bring it, if you need one when you get here you could always get a second hand one to last till yours gets here, then either sell or use the second hand one as a second fridge.

Guest pauli77

Thanks for all your replies. I think we will buy a new one before we go and ship it over with our stuff. Thinking of doing the same with the washer??? as our stuff is 7 years old and might not make to journey. Is it easy to plumb in washer and stuff and did any of you take yours??

Guest Guest31881
Thanks for all your replies. I think we will buy a new one before we go and ship it over with our stuff. Thinking of doing the same with the washer??? as our stuff is 7 years old and might not make to journey. Is it easy to plumb in washer and stuff and did any of you take yours??

Most places have a laundry room or a laundry area, with taps and waste fitted, you should have no problem with plumbing in a washing machine as far as i can tell it is the same as the UK

If you do weather the waher abit use it or give it a scraatch , its goiing in the laundry only the anal pedantics will look , You will need an American style big thing over here , some uk fridges dont hack the heat we bought our uk fridge its in the garage to house the essentials *beer and white0

Guest Guest31881
If you do weather the waher abit use it or give it a scraatch , its goiing in the laundry only the anal pedantics will look , You will need an American style big thing over here , some uk fridges dont hack the heat we bought our uk fridge its in the garage to house the essentials *beer and white0

Good point, you dont want customs thinking you are bringing in new stuff, only stuff you already own. So it should look used, not new.

Guest pauli77
Good point, you dont want customs thinking you are bringing in new stuff, only stuff you already own. So it should look used, not new.

Thanks guys, totally forgot about the tax on new stuff, will have to plug in and stick things to the front of it!! Will have to stick some washing powder in the drawer of the washer!! It's just so much cheaper to buy new here!!

:biglaugh:

Guest JohnandLisa

Good point about taking new stuff.

I did think about buying new items like that and shipping them over,as I heard how expensive everything is. Altough it's a long time before we'll be over...haven't got visa yet.

How long does it take to ship your belongings over?

If there is a possibilty of shipping a while before you go then they could be there ahead of you??? Or is this a daft statement??

It is highly unlikely customs will pull you if you have one new thing in your container. Myself and many familys i know have brought something or other that was new in its box and none of us have had any problems. Hubby had a huge bench saw still in its box and it wasn't queried.

The ''new stuff'' rule (i think)was designed more to prevent people bringing large amounts of new goods into the country to re-sell.

Cal x

Good point about taking new stuff.

I did think about buying new items like that and shipping them over,as I heard how expensive everything is. Altough it's a long time before we'll be over...haven't got visa yet.

How long does it take to ship your belongings over?

If there is a possibilty of shipping a while before you go then they could be there ahead of you??? Or is this a daft statement??

Hi Lee

It took 12 weeks for our stuff to get to us when we moved. The company we used said they prefer to send it so it arrives around the time you do but you can send it earlier if you want, just check how much storage charges are this end before you sign anything.

If you can send it sooner its much better as i think its easier to beg borrow and steal for your last few weeks in a country where you have friends and family , than trying to do it on arrival knowing no-one.

Cal x

• 4 years later...
Hi Lee

It took 12 weeks for our stuff to get to us when we moved. The company we used said they prefer to send it so it arrives around the time you do but you can send it earlier if you want, just check how much storage charges are this end before you sign anything.

If you can send it sooner its much better as i think its easier to beg borrow and steal for your last few weeks in a country where you have friends and family , than trying to do it on arrival knowing no-one.

Cal x

did you all get yours with no extra charge and delay?

Hi all,

We were not going to bring the fridge freezer but looking at prices to buy a new one has made our eyes water!! Don't know whether we should bring it with us? Has anyone got any advice

Thanks

did you end up take your fridge freezer? not sure if fridge can be imported to Australia??

There are specific rules relating to refridgeration gases. A quick read though suggests that a domestic fridge is not a problem.

http://www.environment.gov.au/topics/environment-protection/ozone/licences-and-reporting/equipment-licences-eqpl-and-lvil

thx for ur info, i found the same site this morning, however,i am afraid if sending a fridge may cause extra time to pass the custom (as it involves another dept,) and may be extra money (inspection for another dept ).

just wonder if the above will happen?

Archived