Waterfront Expensive Perth Lunch

flag of convenience

$15 for Asahi? That is crazy. The most I've ever spent in Brisbane was $14 but that was for some small brew hipster beer at South bank. You guys must have expensive licensing or something? Surely.

$15 for Asahi? That is crazy. The most I've ever spent in Brisbane was $14 but that was for some small brew hipster beer at South bank. You guys must have expensive licensing or something? Surely.

No - as I said elswhere, I spent $18 for two pints in a CBD pub on Friday. The prices at Elizabeth Quay have been hiked to catch the tourist trade.

Did a river cruise over Chrimbo and noticed there is a big new place on the bend between Barrack jetty and Claisebrook. Not sure if it is open yet.

I know they are building a pedestrian bridge across the river at that point to connect with the new stadium, but I am not aware of any new pubs etc. After all, the Crown complex is right there as well.

And I think you are absolutely right about the opening of Elizabeth Quay - it's a tourist trap, and the tourist knowing no better will pay the prices. The locals will soon catch on and the Lucky Shag and other venues in the area that have also hiked their prices will catch a cold because they will no longer get the party booking from locals that they used to get. As I said earlier there are much better and less costly venues in the CBD or Fremantle with much better quality food and much more generous portions. $15 for a pint of Asahi is London or Paris prices - and utterly ridiculous when you think that I bought 2 pints at the Aviary for $18 last Friday lunchtime. If the locals start to stay away the Lucky Shag and others will soo have to re-evaluate their policy. The problem is, with our weather, we are a year round destination and the tourist trade is there 365 days a year.

I don't know where you get this idea that food, drink etc out is more expensive in the UK, and especially beer which is never going to cost you 9 quid a pint even in London tourist traps. You've said it twice now

I don't know where you get this idea that food, drink etc out is more expensive in the UK, and especially beer which is never going to cost you 9 quid a pint even in London tourist traps. You've said it twice now

I can tell you exactly why and how I know northshorpom - before I left Taunton in 2013 - a small provincial county town of which you may have heard tell - I was regularly paying £6 a pint (unless I went to Weatherspoons) - on my last visit to London in 2012 I regularly paid £7 per pint. I do still have friends and relatives living in the South-West and in Cambridge who regularly complain of the £8, £9 or even £10 pint. Now these may be 'London' prices in the more touristy places - but the same is certainly true in Bristol, Exeter and Plymouth. Those who complain of prices in Australia and in particular Perth, which is more expensive that Sydney, Melbourne, Adelaide or Brisbane, really do need to take a reality check with some of the prices which you can be asked to pay in some cities and larger towns in the UK - especially if you fall into the tourist trap. Elizabeth Quay and such places as the Lucky Shag are the tourist honey pot of Perth and prices have been hiked. My advice is 'stay away - go into the CBD or Fremantle or Northbridge - you can find plenty or reasonably prices establishments if you look for them.

Sorry, I don't believe you. I was in the UK for a month in September and spent 4 evenings out in Cambridge (a place I know very well, have totalled about 20 years living there in 3 stints) and London, not in cheap places, and did not pay anything like that

Example - the Pint Shop, a notoriously expensive hipster bar/pub in the middle of Cambridge. I found this picture online of their prices from August which chimes with what I remember (I would have been in there 2 weeks later)

wp-image-1410135776jpg.jpeg

8, 9, 10 quid pints for "normal" premium beer? Sorry, no. This is one of the most expensive places in Cambridge to drink, outside of a nightclub or expensive restaurant. You'll only pay that for the really expensive barley wine/esoteric craft type stuff

London? Again I was paying 5 or so quid a pint in fairly pricey bars/pubs in the middle of the city (Fitzrovia).

It's just not true to suggest that $15 a pint is London prices. It is more than London prices

I'm not a moaner about costs here, I find them generally OK and over here in Sydney where I pay about $9-$10 a pint in touristy pubs for craft beer, I'm fine with that, it's pretty much what expensive areas of the UK cost. It's the suggestion that the prices flag paid in the Lucky Shag were "cheaper than Manchester, Bristol, London" etc I was challenging, cost it just ain't so.

Edited by northshorepom

Also I doubt anywhere in brisbanes tourist spot of South bank would cost more than $10 a pint. The plough in right in the middle would be about $8.

Saying that if you factor in wages a $10 pint in Perth may be about the same as a 3.50 one in a British city(not London) if both on average wage.

Sorry, I don't believe you. I was in the UK for a month in September and spent 4 evenings out in Cambridge (a place I know very well, have totalled about 20 years living there in 3 stints) and London, not in cheap places, and did not pay anything like that

Example - the Pint Shop, a notoriously expensive hipster bar/pub in the middle of Cambridge. I found this picture online of their prices from August which chimes with what I remember (I would have been in there 2 weeks later)

wp-image-1410135776jpg.jpeg

8, 9, 10 quid pints for "normal" premium beer? Sorry, no. This is one of the most expensive places in Cambridge to drink, outside of a nightclub or expensive restaurant. You'll only pay that for the really expensive barley wine/esoteric craft type stuff

London? Again I was paying 5 or so quid a pint in fairly pricey bars/pubs in the middle of the city (Fitzrovia).

It's just not true to suggest that $15 a pint is London prices. It is more than London prices

I'm not a moaner about costs here, I find them generally OK and over here in Sydney where I pay about $9-$10 a pint in touristy pubs for craft beer, I'm fine with that, it's pretty much what expensive areas of the UK cost. It's the suggestion that the prices flag paid in the Lucky Shag were "cheaper than Manchester, Bristol, London" etc I was challenging, cost it just ain't so.

E

Excuse me but I did not say that prices at the Lucky Shag were cheaper than - $15 is £8.89 on today's exchange rate. $9 which I paid in is no different to the price board you supplied a photo of - but knowing The Print Shop I can assure that, hipster it may be, but it is by no means expensive compared with some places in Cambridge or anywhere else in the UK. It is considered to fall in the middle price raneg for the city. If you are in the know, or with someone who is, it is entirely possible to find places anywhere at a reasonable price, but Elizabeth Quay is the current Perth Tourist Hotspot and prices have been hiked, just as they are to catch any unsuspecting tourist in any town or city worldwide.

• 5 months later...
On Sunday, January 01, 2017 at 12:11, flag of convenience said:

What I do find a little freaky, if honest, is newcomers arriving and declaring Perth's outrageous prices a 'non issue'. I can imagine tourists, do it myself, paying over the top, but settlers doing the same, is spooky. Did these folk eat out at home? Does the increase in wages from home country,promote a blasé approach to paying over the odds? Does the sun, somehow melt sensitivity? Clearly some mysteries of the universe that have no apparent solution.

If there's an increase in wages though it balances out doesn't it. There's no point comparing the price of a pint between Manchester and London for example. I used to get a shock when I went to London, twice the price for a pint.

We went to check out ku-de-ta Saturday. Won't be rushing back there. Have to take the car unless you fancy a long walk along riverside drive, $2.80 an hour for parking, went in the bar overlooking the river, lovely spot but $11 for a 480ml glass of beer is taking the piss.

Went next door to another lovely spot with an upstairs balcony, ordered a pint and the young barman warned me it was $16???? He said "between you and me mate they are taking the piss". 

Oh well lesson learned. Plenty of places a lot cheaper and better and close to the train stations. How to get Perth a bad name.

Don't know how they are going to make it pay tbh. It's a big place and they're not really aiming at the young crowd or big drinkers.