Waterfront Expensive Perth Lunch

flag of convenience

Dinned at the waterfront today, (Lucky Shag)only a slap up lunch, while doing business in the city. A place I often used to frequent, but my how the prices have risen and far too expensive for what it entailed.

The bill came to $73 for three pints of Heineken, the cheapest meal on the menu Nasi Goring along with a Burger Roll (very average) with small portion of fries served with.

The place was heaving. UK tourists out of towners and some locals, so the recession doesn't seem to be biting at that establishment yet.

Any one else find eating out in Perth absurd? Be leaving for Sydney on Wednesday and will be eating out there daily apart from a few meals with people I know in their homes. I wonder how I will find the comparison?

I love the Lucky Shag had a family Birthday lunch there a few months ago. My favourite place for a meal/drinks with a view love The Old Brewery too although that's a lot more expensive but very good quality. The Lucky Shag being more pub grub. Worth the money IMO and always rammed out with people. How do you acertain who is local and who is not though?

Dinned at the waterfront today, (Lucky Shag)only a slap up lunch, while doing business in the city. A place I often used to frequent, but my how the prices have risen and far too expensive for what it entailed.

The bill came to $73 for three pints of Heineken, the cheapest meal on the menu Nasi Goring along with a Burger Roll (very average) with small portion of fries served with.

The place was heaving. UK tourists out of towners and some locals, so the recession doesn't seem to be biting at that establishment yet.

Any one else find eating out in Perth absurd? Be leaving for Sydney on Wednesday and will be eating out there daily apart from a few meals with people I know in their homes. I wonder how I will find the comparison?

I am in the UK just now and finding that prices are not that much different for lunch for 2 with a couple of drinks! Maybe if you go to Wetherspoons and eat microwaved cardboard it will be!

I never 'got' the Lucky Shag, just not my sort of place I guess and full of poms. Loved Little Creatures and Clancys though.

Opus at the Richardson is one of the best restaurants I have ever been to anywhere in the world.

• Like 1

I am in the UK just now and finding that prices are not that much different for lunch for 2 with a couple of drinks! Maybe if you go to Wetherspoons and eat microwaved cardboard it will be!

I can't agree, we had our Family Christmas Night Out at the Waldorf Astoria in Edinburgh, we had a three course meal of superb quality for £19 each and our 13 ate free and had a meal that totally satisfied a growing teenager.

http://www.galvinbrasseriedeluxe.com/files/BrasseriePrixFixeSampleMenu.pdf

Pub grub at the Lucky Shag doesn't compare & is more expensive.

I never 'got' the Lucky Shag, just not my sort of place I guess and full of poms. Loved Little Creatures and Clancys though.

Opus at the Richardson is one of the best restaurants I have ever been to anywhere in the world.

Every single time I've ever been in Little Crearures it's been full of Poms. It Freo where Pons hang out and pretend to be "eclectic" horses for courses though both places are rammed so plenty for everyone. Never been to Clancys must try it.

I love the Lucky Shag had a family Birthday lunch there a few months ago. My favourite place for a meal/drinks with a view love The Old Brewery too although that's a lot more expensive but very good quality. The Lucky Shag being more pub grub. Worth the money IMO and always rammed out with people. How do you acertain who is local and who is not though?

Gosh we have little hope of restoring justice in pricing in Perth, if you think that is ok. $13 a pint, while consistent over the past 'boom' years, is darn expensive in my book. I agree though, a good place for tourists. I always take my visitors there once during a visit. Although the vista can be challenging, IMO, since enlargement. Place lost intimacy and prices up considerably. There was a time I went there most every Thursday. A burger has increased in price by some 80% for example over eight or so years.

Must be experience. I can usually tell the tourists from locals with ease. Even those with UK accents. Spoken to numerous over the years there.

Not worth the money any longer as a regular haunt, I'm sorry to say. But for the odd visit ok. Not sure if true, but heard Barmy Army will no longer be using this as their HQ when in Perth.

Tend to dine out in the swan valley when I'm in Perth. Much more affordable.

Probably. Used to dine out at Elmers and Duckstein , both German establishments. Found food declined at the latter though over time and the former while good, remains for more special occasions due to price.

Some of the winery's are pretty good, though not frequent enough to have a favourite. Good place to stock up on wine special deals though.

They did a fantastic scoopon a couple of years ago that we took advantage of twice .. a seafood platter for two (too much to eat) and a bottle of Mgt River wine for about $45 for two people.

Good value. Wonder if changed hands over recent times? I don't detect value in recent times. Location and popularity in tourist books ensure its survival I expect.

Really? I knew places in Central London to eat cheaper than Perth (including carafe of wine) a few years back (Perth was at height of boom) We found eating out especially in the North of England reasonably good value. Definitely found value in Germany in comparison but was shocked how Portugal had become so much more expensive.

I can't agree, we had our Family Christmas Night Out at the Waldorf Astoria in Edinburgh, we had a three course meal of superb quality for £19 each and our 13 ate free and had a meal that totally satisfied a growing teenager.

http://www.galvinbrasseriedeluxe.com/files/BrasseriePrixFixeSampleMenu.pdf

Pub grub at the Lucky Shag doesn't compare & is more expensive.

I remember when the Waldorf Astoria in Edinburgh was called the Caledonian @Lady Rainicorn and it was THE hotel in those days. Fab place to stay and to have a meal. The menu you showed us was more than very reasonable and for eating in such a lovely establishment too.

My sister has moved from Putney in London to Edinburgh and is loving living there.

Probably. Used to dine out at Elmers and Duckstein , both German establishments. Found food declined at the latter though over time and the former while good, remains for more special occasions due to price.

Some of the winery's are pretty good, though not frequent enough to have a favourite. Good place to stock up on wine special deals though.

We we often go to Elmars for the Pork Knuckle, so big we share one. Accompanied by a glass of Einstein Beer. Very nice spot. Houghtons Winery do a lovely lunch too.

We we often go to Elmars for the Pork Knuckle, so big we share one. Accompanied by a glass of Einstein Beer. Very nice spot. Houghtons Winery do a lovely lunch too.

Agreed been once to the latter. Also beer pretty decent at Elmars as well. (and Duckstein for that matter) Been many times to both. Not so much of late though.

• Like 1

you're paying£50 a shot for pub meals in the UK? Maybe you should take the sucker sign off your forehead.

you're paying£50 a shot for pub meals in the UK? Maybe you should take the sucker sign off your forehead.

Although not been in UK for six years, I found that excessive as well. I'm not sure I can relate to Perth prices in any other city I've ever been in, for being over the top, for what is after all rather run of the mill fare, with the exception of Zurich.

What I do find a little freaky, if honest, is newcomers arriving and declaring Perth's outrageous prices a 'non issue'. I can imagine tourists, do it myself, paying over the top, but settlers doing the same, is spooky. Did these folk eat out at home? Does the increase in wages from home country,promote a blasé approach to paying over the odds? Does the sun, somehow melt sensitivity? Clearly some mysteries of the universe that have no apparent solution.