NOT on SOL

jpe123

Hello,

I am new to this so I apologise if I have posted this in the wrong section.

I am trying to see if what myself and my fiancee are planning on doing has been done by anyone in this forum.

I am 29 and My fiancee is 28 we are getting married next July and planning on coming to OZ at the end of the year (Visited twice already).

I work in the Motorcycle industry as a Workshop controller/Parts advisor I understand this is not and probably never will be on the skill list but as the Motorcycle trade appears to be big business in OZ and I often see jobs advertised I am confident I will get work easy, I have emailed a few shops and had a reply from one saying they would be happy to meet me when I arrive as they are always looking for knowledgeable people.

My fiancee works as a PA/Admin/Driver for a second hand BMW dealer, She also has a serious talent for making cupcakes and has a small business that she runs from home.

our Plan is to come on a WHV and try and obtain sponsorship which I have been told is a massive long shot but is possible with hard work and luck, it is our only chance apart from re-training.

Any one been down this route or heard of any one who has done this.

I look forward to hearing what everyone has to say.

Thanks

Justin

As I understand it you can only be sponsored if the occupation is on the skills required list, if its not you can't be sponsored even if you find someone willing to give you a job, might be wrong, but that's how I understand it

Welcome to PIO

If your occupations are not on SOL or CSOL Sponsorship is not possible, as occupations must be on at least CSOL to be eligible for Sponsorship.

http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/general-skilled-migration/pdf/csol.pdf

Sorry to say no amount of hard work will change the fact that some occupations will not be eligible for sponsorship, also bare in mind that some occupations that are available for sponsorship may not meet some of the criteria - i.e. 457 visa employers need to meet obligations to become a sponsor, and training requirements and the job requires to meet the minimum salary threshold which is based on the market rate - if a market rate of a position is lower than the minimum salary threshold this position can not be sponsored.

Also new law that has came out that the position must have been advertised for at least 4 months before can be nominated to be filled by a 457 visa.

You also need to remember that this is only a temp visa, and if you leave or lose your job you need to find a new sponsor within 90 days or leave the country.

Just giving you the facts, but going over on a WHV and spending time living and working is a great experience, but do not pin to much hope of being able to stay.

As above. An employer can not just decide to sponsor someone. The role must be on either the SOL or the CSOL. I dont think either of your skills are and so are not eligible for sponsorship.

Even if they were, your chances would be pretty slim as the new rules require a company to show they have attempted to recruit an australian - usualy by showing they have advertised for 4 months first - this came in on 1st July.

I think your only option is retraining - though the risk is that it is removed from the list when you qualify.

Some jobs on that list surprised me, My job is very specialized and to see that they are in desperate need of cinema managers was a shock. I need to prey that W.shop controller finds its self to the list next year ha ha.

Thanks

Cool I will look into that. She is planning to email some bakeries out in OZ.

Thanks for your help I must say I have used other forums for other things only to be met by rude and un-helpful advice but this forum is friendly and helpful

If baker is an option then she will have to pass the skills assessment before thinking of contacting employers. If she has no actual qualifications and only does it on the side then the chances are low, but worth looking into. Tra are the assessing body for bakers.