How long is the process for Skilled Independent (Migrant) Visa (Subclass 175)

Guest dawnieb

Guest dawnieb

Hi my husband has just started the process of applying for Skilled Independent (Migrant) Visa (Subclass 175)? I will be joining him as his wife of course! Has anyone else followed this route and could advise on how long it took from start to grant of visa? Our agent say around 18mths as they receive 100,000 applications per year. We were hoping the process would take no longer than 12mths.

Guest SteveandVic

Hi i was granted the same visa (175) at the end of January this year and we are moving to Briabane on January 6th 2012 . It took me 3yrs but i applyed for my visa before the new changes came in and when i recived the final paperwork it did say that it has now all been streamlined and should now take the 18months that you mentioned, i think its a good guidline time but i found that the quicker you respond the better, i think they give you time limits for your replys now to make it quicker (i had 28 days to get my entire work history dates and everything back to them) and can be stressfull when waiting on others e.g. police checks ect . You could get your visa in 12months but 18months should be the longest time you have to wait .. hope this helps

Guest dawnieb
Hi i was granted the same visa (175) at the end of January this year and we are moving to Briabane on January 6th 2012 . It took me 3yrs but i applyed for my visa before the new changes came in and when i recived the final paperwork it did say that it has now all been streamlined and should now take the 18months that you mentioned, i think its a good guidline time but i found that the quicker you respond the better, i think they give you time limits for your replys now to make it quicker (i had 28 days to get my entire work history dates and everything back to them) and can be stressfull when waiting on others e.g. police checks ect . You could get your visa in 12months but 18months should be the longest time you have to wait .. hope this helps

Thanks for the reply!

Have you thought about applying for SS, then you could apply for a 176, not sure if this would be quicker but worth looking into.

Hi my husband has just started the process of applying for Skilled Independent (Migrant) Visa (Subclass 175)? I will be joining him as his wife of course! Has anyone else followed this route and could advise on how long it took from start to grant of visa? Our agent say around 18mths as they receive 100,000 applications per year. We were hoping the process would take no longer than 12mths.

Hi, what is your husbands occupation? Is it on the Skilled Occupations List? As I think if your on the list you will probably get processed quicker with the new changes.

My husband is a fitter and when we applied for the same visa as you in June 2009 he was on the list but then they took his occupation off and we were in limbo, but now they have added it back on so we are still waiting to see what happens 2 years down the line!:confused:

That is the million doller question:rolleyes::chatterbox: but if you are from a LR country and upload all documents (except pcc/medicals) at the time of lodgement, i think it will be just over 12 months....if your occupation stays on the sol list:eek: preparation is the key:biggrin:

Guest dawnieb
Hi, what is your husbands occupation? Is it on the Skilled Occupations List? As I think if your on the list you will probably get processed quicker with the new changes.

My husband is a fitter and when we applied for the same visa as you in June 2009 he was on the list but then they took his occupation off and we were in limbo, but now they have added it back on so we are still waiting to see what happens 2 years down the line!:confused:

He is a plumber and gasfitter. It is on the list but like you say they could always take it off! Fingers crossed they wont! WOW you have been in limbo since 2009!? You must be going mental!! Hope you hear some good news soon

Guest dawnieb
That is the million doller question:rolleyes::chatterbox: but if you are from a LR country and upload all documents (except pcc/medicals) at the time of lodgement, i think it will be just over 12 months....if your occupation stays on the sol list:eek: preparation is the key:biggrin:

What is LR country??

Archived