Getting a rental during summer

Hi folks, I am due to arrive with my wife and kids in tow in Brisbane on the 12th Nov, and plan to stay with friends for a few weeks while sorting out a rental, however i am a bit worried that it will be getting close to Christmas and we might struggle to find something.

Any advice in this situation? Am i right to be worried

thanks

AB

The peak holiday booking period is from around Xmas Eve to Australia Day (26th January), although in Brisbane, that might refer more to the Gold and Sunshine Coast holiday areas, so finding long-term accomodation in Brisbane may be unaffected.

You should still have time to arrange a place if you are arriving in the middle of November?

Have a look on www.domain.com.au.

In Brisbane it is an absolute nightmare trying to get a new rental anywhere between beginning Dec-end of Jan. We discovered this when we decided to move around this time - the reason? (we asked several agents) this is the peak time for new arrivals to Brisbane, immigrants and those moving interstate. Therefore competition may be higher and demand for property greater. The other factor that we were told about is that this then becomes the most common time for peoples leases to be up, therefore not only is there a surge of new people, but also an increase of people wishing to move...

My advice would be to make this a number one priority when you arrive.

• 4 weeks later...

I agree with the above start looking on realestate.com.au ask your friends to make contact with rental agency if they rent through an agent may be advantageous . make sure you bring a letter from bank to say that you are good customer or a reference from land lord if rent get a character reference may be by offering several weeks rent up front inc bond may help what area you hoping to settle. homes with pools go quicker.

Hi folks, I am due to arrive with my wife and kids in tow in Brisbane on the 12th Nov, and plan to stay with friends for a few weeks while sorting out a rental, however i am a bit worried that it will be getting close to Christmas and we might struggle to find something.

Ordinary rental properties can't be let out for holidays, because Australian rental properties aren't furnished. So being peak holiday period won't make any difference at all if you're looking for a long-term rental property. Whether it's a good or bad time of year for other reasons, I can't say.

I moved 6 weeks ago to a new rental and at the time there were a few to pick from - It can be very challenging to find something in Dec/Jan - as someone mentioned, many leases are up here in the New Year and competition is tight. Don't hang around, and you might want to consider something for 6 months and look again in July. I deliberately changed my moving date from Jan because of this very problem Looking in July/Aug was a comparative breeze and a few good properties to choose from