Commuting from surf areas to CBD - is it realistic?

skipjack

I may be working in Brisbane next year (St Lucia - Uni of Q) and the family like the beach and surf. Is it feasible to live either on the Sunshine Coast (e.g., Caloundra) or on the Gold Coast and commute in to Brisbane (car, train, bus)?

Any comments, experiences or options would be appreciated.

Thanks

Guest guest30038

It is possible as many PIO members do it, but it can be a pain at times.

Ask yourself how many times you will use the surf..............once, twice, 3 times a week? If you had to commute home to the Gold or Sunny, would you be bothered using the surf in the evenings after a hard days work and commute? Would it be preferable to not commute from there to the city 5 times a week return, and be more preferable to live near work and commute to the Gold or Sunny just at weekends?

kev

I may be working in Brisbane next year (St Lucia - Uni of Q) and the family like the beach and surf. Is it feasible to live either on the Sunshine Coast (e.g., Caloundra) or on the Gold Coast and commute in to Brisbane (car, train, bus)?

Any comments, experiences or options would be appreciated.

Thanks

It is even tougher to do by public transport as Uni of Q is not in the CBD so you would have to change train/bus at CBD.

To me it would be my worst nightmare and would destroy my quality of life but some do it so it must depend on who you are I guess. I would think driving is the only option.

Personally, I would commute to the beach on the w/e and swim in a pool during the week and live down the road from work.

St Lucia is one of the few areas of Brisbane that i liked. The seaside towns are as boring as hell when out of the water so take my advice and live in the city.

Must say i agree with the above posters ,commuting on a daily basis would wear thin after a while, especially once you have sat in a few traffic jams!

Bulimba is a nice area, right on the river so great access for the river ferry into the city centre or to south bank's man made lagoon. Well worth a look IMO.

Cal x

Thanks for the comments and although bayside, riverside or city living would be easier, the ocean means a lot to us. We've lived by the beach for 12 years in NZ and now in Torquay (Victoria) and a beach lifestyle is a must for us to consider the move to Brisbane. It's more than the surf, it's the chilled-out people who choose to live in a beach resort and the relaxed holiday atmosphere that make up the lifestyle that we have. I guess it's everyone to their own and I like to leave the city behind at the end of the day.

It does of course depend on how long the commute would take - please could someone comment on the drive times for the commute?

Thanks

Thanks for the comments and although bayside, riverside or city living would be easier, the ocean means a lot to us. We've lived by the beach for 12 years in NZ and now in Torquay (Victoria) and a beach lifestyle is a must for us to consider the move to Brisbane. It's more than the surf, it's the chilled-out people who choose to live in a beach resort and the relaxed holiday atmosphere that make up the lifestyle that we have. I guess it's everyone to their own and I like to leave the city behind at the end of the day.

It does of course depend on how long the commute would take - please could someone comment on the drive times for the commute?

Thanks

Just guessing but I would say peak from Sunshine Coast might be 2+ hours and from Gold Coast in peak about 1.5+ hours. On bad days the + might be quite significant.

You could live in Redcliffe. Not surf beaches so not the typical white sand Australian beach as it is on the bay surrounded by islands. It might only take 45-60mins to get to St Lucia in peak? Is up and coming with nice strip of cafes etc on beachfront, man made lagoon, seaside markets, parks etc. It is a bit pogan (bogan area becoming posh) so you have to be careful where you buy. If you buy a boat you can scoot over to Stradbroke, Moreton and the other bay islands....some even do it on a jetski.

Guest Guest31881

I think you will be talking about a 1 hour commute each way as a minimum. any delays and you could double that. I live close to Bribie Island with beaches there. But to travel to where you will be working would probably take 1.5 hours on a good day. 3 Hours commuting each day would make a very long day and by the time you get home it would be going dark and you could not use the beaches.

Personally i would consider the advice from CAL and if you want to visit the beaches then drive to them rather than the other way around. alternativley you could rent for 6 months somewhere and see how you deal with the journey.:notworthy:.

We are in the process of moving from Melbourne to Brisbane. To start with we were thinking Coomera, pacific pines and Helensvale on the gold coast but my husband has got a job in Brisbane we have just been told that its a nightmare to get into Brisbane from these suburbs. Does any one know how long it will take? Also does any one know any good suburbs close enough to Brisbane for work but not to busy. Thanks for your help. Jill

We are in the process of moving from Melbourne to Brisbane. To start with we were thinking Coomera, pacific pines and Helensvale on the gold coast but my husband has got a job in Brisbane we have just been told that its a nightmare to get into Brisbane from these suburbs. Does any one know how long it will take? Also does any one know any good suburbs close enough to Brisbane for work but not to busy. Thanks for your help. Jill

Me mate used to take 2 hours min' to get from Helensvale to Tennyson that was at sparras fart and not even

hitting any city bridges.

Mt Cotton is very rural and within 30/40 mins to the CBD

Me mate used to take 2 hours min' to get from Helensvale to Tennyson that was at sparras fart and not even

hitting any city bridges.

Mt Cotton is very rural and within 30/40 mins to the CBD

We heard the traffic was meant to bad in Brisbane but we didn’t realise that bad. Is Mt cotton on a direct route to Brisbane? Also how far is it from the beaches?

Thanks

We heard the traffic was meant to bad in Brisbane but we didn’t realise that bad. Is Mt cotton on a direct route to Brisbane? Also how far is it from the beaches?

Thanks

H Jill

Mt Cotton is an OK drive into Brisbane. Once you are on the motorway, as long as there are no accidents it’s a pretty good run.

Brisbane doesn’t have any beaches as such. For wide expanses of sand you really need to go to the Gold Coast or quite a long way north on the Sunshine coast – up towards Caloundra way. That said there are some small beaches not too far from Mount Cotton – maybe a 10 to 15 minute drive. There is Thompsons beach at Victoria Point, some beaches at Raby Bay in Cleveland and then in Wellington Point. However, they do not have waves because of Stradbroke and Moreton Island protecting the area from the ocean swell.

Hope that helps a bit

Love

Rudi

x

H Jill

Mt Cotton is an OK drive into Brisbane. Once you are on the motorway, as long as there are no accidents it’s a pretty good run.

Brisbane doesn’t have any beaches as such. For wide expanses of sand you really need to go to the Gold Coast or quite a long way north on the Sunshine coast – up towards Caloundra way. That said there are some small beaches not too far from Mount Cotton – maybe a 10 to 15 minute drive. There is Thompsons beach at Victoria Point, some beaches at Raby Bay in Cleveland and then in Wellington Point. However, they do not have waves because of Stradbroke and Moreton Island protecting the area from the ocean swell.

Hope that helps a bit

Love

Rudi

x

Hi Rudi,

Thanks for that info. We have been told that Cleveland and Redland bay and surrounds are lovely .What do you think of the area? What are the schools like there I have a 15 year old and two 12 year olds. We were going for pacific pines area but were told the commute into Brisbane is terrible. Were a bit nervous now as we are not sure on areas and don’t want to move some where that is really busy. Are the rentals easy to get in these areas ? Thanks Jill:hug:

Hi Rudi,

Thanks for that info. We have been told that Cleveland and Redland bay and surrounds are lovely .What do you think of the area? What are the schools like there I have a 15 year old and two 12 year olds. We were going for pacific pines area but were told the commute into Brisbane is terrible. Were a bit nervous now as we are not sure on areas and don’t want to move some where that is really busy. Are the rentals easy to get in these areas ? Thanks Jill:hug:

Hi Jill

We live n Thornlands and are really happy here.....but would have been just as happy in any of the surrounding bayside suburbs. It just so happened that the right house came up for us in Thornlands.

The local schools are good and you have a good choice of state, semi private and private schools. We find there are also plenty of activities for the kids locally – I also have 3 girls of 13, 10 and 7. The area is very family orientated. I guess it depends what you want from a suburb really.

I don’t think the rental market here is nearly as bad as Melbourne. Certainly you are not fighting off heaps of other people for somewhere to live. A nice 4 bedroom, 2 bathroom place will set you back around $450 a week in this area – a bit more if you want a pool.

I would not make a definite decision on area until you get here if you are uncertain. Take a little bit of time to look around the areas when you first arrive and I am sure when you drive into the right area, you will know.

Good luck

Love

Rudi

x

H Jill

Hope that helps a bit

Love

Rudi

x

Just to add to this Rudi....Redcliffe does have beaches of some width and length....they are just not the ultra white fine sand you find on a surf beach....more of the darker, bay sand but may be a good compromise between beach and commute.

Thanks

Coomera (say Dreamworld) to Brisbane CBD is only about a 35 min drive out of peak. But in peak it might go to 1 hour +....problem is you just don't know how big the plus is in any large city with accidents and the like....

We do have some members who do it so maybe they will add to this their experience?

Guest The Ropey HOFF

Thanks

Hi skipjack,

we haven't decided where to go yet can i ask you what it was like weather wise in Victoria, was it warm enough most of the year to go to the beach and was it warm in the sea,

cheers jim:biggrin:

Hi skipjack,

we haven't decided where to go yet can i ask you what it was like weather wise in Victoria, was it warm enough most of the year to go to the beach and was it warm in the sea,

cheers jim:biggrin:

Hi Helen,

I've pinned down the train travel from the Sunshine Coast - here's an example:

06.40 - Drive and park from Coloundra (Sunshine Coast beach) to Caboolture station (50 km) = 30 minutes

07.15 - train from Caboolture station to Brisbane Central

08.15 arrive Brisbane Central (in CBD)

... plus getting to the office from Brisbane Central

So not looking too good for me unless I can negotiate a four-day week with the boss and get a quality long weekend.

For Melbourne, we live in Torquay, which is the Sunshine Coast equivalent (and a similar commute time to Melbourne with drive and train). That said, it is a great place. A bit fly blown at times (pesky bush flies). The weather is more mixed with a cool winter and all houses have heating. Spring is great because it's not too hot. Summer is hot but not humid - with some exceptions - e.g., 47 degrees earlier this year. But days over 40 usually number 10 to 15 max in a summer.

The sea is pretty warm from Christmas onwards. Before Xmas can be cool but refreshing. Winter requires a wet suit ! (for me anyway). Lifestyle is great - I like beach running a couple of times a week - a few laps of the beach followed by a dip in the surf. Soooo good on a sunny day and reminds me why I'm here!

A big plus point is the light evenings. It doesn't get dark till 9.30 mid summer. Having dark summer evenings is something I will have trouble with in Brisbane.

Hope this helps

Hi Helen,

I've pinned down the train travel from the Sunshine Coast - here's an example:

06.40 - Drive and park from Coloundra (Sunshine Coast beach) to Caboolture station (50 km) = 30 minutes

07.15 - train from Caboolture station to Brisbane Central

08.15 arrive Brisbane Central (in CBD)

... plus getting to the office from Brisbane Central

So not looking too good for me unless I can negotiate a four-day week with the boss and get a quality long weekend.

For Melbourne, we live in Torquay, which is the Sunshine Coast equivalent (and a similar commute time to Melbourne with drive and train). That said, it is a great place. A bit fly blown at times (pesky bush flies). The weather is more mixed with a cool winter and all houses have heating. Spring is great because it's not too hot. Summer is hot but not humid - with some exceptions - e.g., 47 degrees earlier this year. But days over 40 usually number 10 to 15 max in a summer.

The sea is pretty warm from Christmas onwards. Before Xmas can be cool but refreshing. Winter requires a wet suit ! (for me anyway). Lifestyle is great - I like beach running a couple of times a week - a few laps of the beach followed by a dip in the surf. Soooo good on a sunny day and reminds me why I'm here!

A big plus point is the light evenings. It doesn't get dark till 9.30 mid summer. Having dark summer evenings is something I will have trouble with in Brisbane.

Hope this helps

Your main advantage on the Sunshine Coast is the weather would average between 20c-30c "every" month of the year. A long commute would be a drag though. Have you considered Redcliffe in Brisbane?

Hi Jill

We live n Thornlands and are really happy here.....but would have been just as happy in any of the surrounding bayside suburbs. It just so happened that the right house came up for us in Thornlands.

The local schools are good and you have a good choice of state, semi private and private schools. We find there are also plenty of activities for the kids locally – I also have 3 girls of 13, 10 and 7. The area is very family orientated. I guess it depends what you want from a suburb really.

I don’t think the rental market here is nearly as bad as Melbourne. Certainly you are not fighting off heaps of other people for somewhere to live. A nice 4 bedroom, 2 bathroom place will set you back around $450 a week in this area – a bit more if you want a pool.

I would not make a definite decision on area until you get here if you are uncertain. Take a little bit of time to look around the areas when you first arrive and I am sure when you drive into the right area, you will know.

Good luck

Love

Rudi

x

Hi Rudi,

Thanks for all your help and info.My husband is coming to brisbane next week with my daughter to have a look around all the areas and to visit a few of the schools.

Thanks again

Jill

Hi Rudi,

Thanks for all your help and info.My husband is coming to brisbane next week with my daughter to have a look around all the areas and to visit a few of the schools.

Thanks again

Jill

No Problem Jill. Unfortunately he will find all the schools closed as they finished for the year on Friday.

Love

Rudi

x

Your main advantage on the Sunshine Coast is the weather would average between 20c-30c "every" month of the year. A long commute would be a drag though. Have you considered Redcliffe in Brisbane?

Hi Fish.01,

I did briefly consider Redcliffe but I guess I've been put off bayside living by the likes of the Melbourne bayside suburbs such as St Kilda and Williamstown (i.e., high-priced city by the sea). Sorry, but we're not city people. Thanks for the recommendation though.

Guest guest30038
Hi Fish.01,

I did briefly consider Redcliffe but I guess I've been put off bayside living by the likes of the Melbourne bayside suburbs such as St Kilda and Williamstown (i.e., high-priced city by the sea). Sorry, but we're not city people. Thanks for the recommendation though.

Mate, Redcliffe (and the surrounding scarborough, margate etc.) is a lovely up and coming suburb with nice beaches (although not surf) and a "village" feel to it. A lot of investment has gone into making Redcliffe (promenade) a des res location with affordable priced properties and I can assure you that it is a lot more people friendly and "homely" than brochures paint it to be. It's well worth a look before you dismiss it.

Good luck with whatever you choose.

kev

Hi Fish.01,

St Kilda, Bondi etc are high priced, very urban places. Redcliffe is different. More like a far outer suburb by the sea than a trendy inner urban place by the sea - if that makes sense. English friends who recently moved there say they know people all up and down the Redcliffe peninsula now and run into them on a daily/weekly basis - they have school age children which obviously helps a lot. A lot of Redcliffe people talk about feeling more relaxed as soon as they go over the long bridge onto the Redcliffe peninsula.

Hornibrook Bridge into Redcliffe

• 3 months later...
Guest louhatton

Hi there. Many people live on the Sunshine Coast and commute each day to Brisbane. Caloundra to St Lucia about an hour but traffic can vary this. Not a bad option if you can get in the swing of things and prefer the family to live in a laid back environment. Happy to be more specific if you want more info

Cheers

Lou

Archived