Australia best place to ride out downturn

connaust

Australia seen as best place to ride out downturn THE world has voted Australia as the best place to run a business during the economic downturn. This supports what local economists have been saying for some time, that the nation is well-placed to weather the global financial crisis. A survey of 7500 international business people from 24 nations identified Australia as the country that was surviving the economic downturn the best, with 20 per cent of respondents citing it as the clear leader

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/business/story/0,28124,25542981-36418,00.html

Guest guest17301

Interesting and reassuring if it's true! I find the Aussies view that their country is the best in the world rather endearing, the sense of pride is refreshing and palpable...nothing wrong with blowing your own trumpet!

Guest Count Zero
Interesting and reassuring if it's true! I find the Aussies view that their country is the best in the world rather endearing, the sense of pride is refreshing and palpable...nothing wrong with blowing your own trumpet!

Unfortunately I also believed this bullsh-t before I came here. Now I'm stuck in a town with no work with the nearest other place that has work 3 days drive away.

We are feeling this in Australia and its getting worse every time I read the news.

Its nothing to do with pride its more to do with ignorance.

Guest guest17301

Sorry you feel that way...my OH struggling to get work so I understand how you feel...my feelings may be different if I didn't have a job..

Unfortunately I also believed this bullsh-t before I came here. Now I'm stuck in a town with no work with the nearest other place that has work 3 days drive away.

We are feeling this in Australia and its getting worse every time I read the news.

cant you fifo? maybe not !! no one needs to be stuck anywhere these days if thats where the work is then move !!! ...sorry to sound so blunt but christ you moved to the other side of the world surely a little bit further wouldnt do any harm ....aussies do it all the time move from state to state !! .... unless of course you want to go home lol

mrs keily

Guest Three Lions

I agree with this in many ways. It is so so often said that it's ''wonderful the way that the Aussies have national pride and are confident enough to express it''. This is very possibly partially true, but it is also partially due to, as you say, ''ignorance''. I've found the Aussies to have quite an insular mindset, similar perhaps to the Americans, in that their knowledge of other countries is often quite limited. They are like actors and musicians that develop a big ego because, overtime, they've started to believe their own publicity. The perception that Australia has tended to put out to the rest of the world is that '''this is a nation with big spaces, beautiful beaches, lots and lots of sun and a laid back lifestyle and has all that you could want''. The Aussies have got to the point where they really believe all this as total fact and that other nations have nothing to offer, especially the UK. They love the Brits that come here and gush about how fantastic it is, cos it feeds their ego.

I agree with this in many ways. It is so so often said that it's ''wonderful the way that the Aussies have national pride and are confident enough to express it''. This is very possibly partially true, but it is also partially due to, as you say, ''ignorance''. I've found the Aussies to have quite an insular mindset, similar perhaps to the Americans, in that their knowledge of other countries is often quite limited. They are like actors and musicians that develop a big ego because, overtime, they've started to believe their own publicity. The perception that Australia has tended to put out to the rest of the world is that '''this is a nation with big spaces, beautiful beaches, lots and lots of sun and a laid back lifestyle and has all that you could want''. The Aussies have got to the point where they really believe all this as total fact and that other nations have nothing to offer, especially the UK. They love the Brits that come here and gush about how fantastic it is, cos it feeds their ego.

maybe you should just stay in the uk then ....and let someone else have a chance of getting here :tongue:

mrs keily

Guest guest17301

But Three Lions it is true!!! Oz is fab- Uk is pants! :tongue:

Guest Three Lions
maybe you should just stay in the uk then ....and let someone else have a chance of getting here :tongue:

mrs keily

An exceptionally well-reasoned response. Well done.

Guest Three Lions
But Three Lions it is true!!! Oz is fab- Uk is pants! :tongue:

I hope you're saying that with some degree of irony because I've been reading some of your posts and trying to see that perhaps you were fair minded and balanced (as you've protested yourself to be) but if you mean that literally that would suggest otherwise.

Guest guest17301
I hope you're saying that with some degree of irony because I've been reading some of your posts and trying to see that perhaps you were fair minded and balanced (as you've protested yourself to be) but if you mean that literally that would suggest otherwise.

LOL..I'll leave it to your better judgement to decide if I was being ironic! If you have one! Am I being ironic???:wink:

Of course I bloody am...I'm actually a rather nice person...or so I keep telling myself:err:

LOL..I'll leave it to your better judgement to decide if I was being ironic! If you have one! Am I being ironic???:wink:

Of course I bloody am...I'm actually a rather nice person...or so I keep telling myself:err:

I do believe that Neilson the black panther said the very same remarks about himself that he was a nice person. Fi the aussie black kanga lol

Guest Vim Fuego

I've just got up and my cheese on toast was great, the tea was brewed to perfection and I think my flu is finally clearing. I have a roof over my head and the bills are paid. Soon I'll be driving my daughter into childcare and having a saunter into the city to do some work.

On the way I'll be trying to appreciate the sheer miracle of me being here and the fact there are no major dramas in my life. Sure, I'll whinge a bit at work for no real good reason but I'll probably not be confronted by poverty, terrorism or a 40km walk to get fresh water.

As I wander into the city I'll watch the police book people for jay-walking and laugh as I realise they have nothing more pressing to do.

What a nice place to live and how lucky I am. And so, for that matter, is anyone who isn't REALLY struggling to live ... in whatever country.

I've just got up and my cheese on toast was great, the tea was brewed to perfection and I think my flu is finally clearing. I have a roof over my head and the bills are paid. Soon I'll be driving my daughter into childcare and having a saunter into the city to do some work.

On the way I'll be trying to appreciate the sheer miracle of me being here and the fact there are no major dramas in my life. Sure, I'll whinge a bit at work for no real good reason but I'll probably not be confronted by poverty, terrorism or a 40km walk to get fresh water.

As I wander into the city I'll watch the police book people for jay-walking and laugh as I realise they have nothing more pressing to do.

What a nice place to live and how lucky I am. And so, for that matter, is anyone who isn't REALLY struggling to live ... in whatever country.

Oh whate fine fine words. Thank you.:hug:

Guest guest30038

I've just got back from Coles and things are looking up. The check-out chick asked her usual, "and how are you today?" and I gave my usual reply, "mind your own bloody business!"................she smiled, and I realised that finally, after 13 yrs of me replying similarly, that she had realised that I was only joking ................Jeeeeeeeeez she's aged since I first said it, but I suppose she feels the same way about me :biglaugh: At least the buggers talk to you here, even if it is parrot fashion. She reminds me a bit of the "cheery' UK barmaids that 'accidently' drop your change onto the sopping wet bar towels if you don't tip 'em...............only in looks though............apart for the smiles I get from her............that's different to the barmaids that I remember.

I saw the doc last Wednesday, and he referred me to the hospital..............just opened the mail and I have an appointment for an endoscopy in 2 days time................gosh! they're backward here...............me having to wait all that time 'n all. Almost as bad as my quadruple by-pass...............first saw the doc on a Wednesday...........no chest pain, just pins and needles in my arm............it took 'em till the following tuesday to give me a bloody angiogram and it was the following Tuesday before they cracked me open! betcha I wouldn't have waited that long back in the UK! :tongue:

kev

Guest bernie

Hi, thought we would put our current situation.

We may have to return home. We came thinking we could ride it out but can't get a job and been here 2 months plus can't get sparky liscence for another 2 months min due to problems with the ARTC. We didn't cash in at the right time in the UK and have limited savings, just using that to live off which is demoralising when it's money from our house! We have no choice but to consider returning to our home and pick up work contacts or we could end up in a bad situation here. No one is interested without this liscence and although we have a skilled visa it doesn't guarantee a job. None in papers etc looked everywhere, it seems it's who you know. WE, know an aussie guy here who's been asking around and nothing! We planned this very carefully for two years but right now we could pick up our old life (which wasn't bad) and get work straight away. What a tease, we love it here but wonder if we've missed the boat when you could cash in your mortgage and be debt free. We have worked for two years so hard but feel that we could go on and on with this we don't have the energy anymore. So glad we have tried but we have to make some serious decisions. If you can secure a job here then it is a beautiful place and worth a shot and good luck to everyone who has managed to do that! It is a better place to ride the recession, but only if you are lucky enough to secure a job! Trades I am not so sure and from other threads, it seems we're not the only ones.

Australia seen as best place to ride out downturn THE world has voted Australia as the best place to run a business during the economic downturn. This supports what local economists have been saying for some time, that the nation is well-placed to weather the global financial crisis. A survey of 7500 international business people from 24 nations identified Australia as the country that was surviving the economic downturn the best, with 20 per cent of respondents citing it as the clear leader

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/business/story/0,28124,25542981-36418,00.html

Guest guest30038

Sad to hear that Bernie, but make sure that you don't go out of the frying pan into the fire. My 3 sons back in the UK have all told me that their jobs are under threat and they're dreading the expiry of their current contracts as they don't know if they'll be renewed.

You sound like you like it here and it's only the job situation that has you feeling this way. have you given serious thought to just taking any work to help you weather this downturn?............it will pick up as I've seen it all before. seems a shame to put what money you have into flight tickets if you like it here.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

kev

I agree with this in many ways. It is so so often said that it's ''wonderful the way that the Aussies have national pride and are confident enough to express it''. This is very possibly partially true, but it is also partially due to, as you say, ''ignorance''. I've found the Aussies to have quite an insular mindset, similar perhaps to the Americans, in that their knowledge of other countries is often quite limited. They are like actors and musicians that develop a big ego because, overtime, they've started to believe their own publicity. The perception that Australia has tended to put out to the rest of the world is that '''this is a nation with big spaces, beautiful beaches, lots and lots of sun and a laid back lifestyle and has all that you could want''. The Aussies have got to the point where they really believe all this as total fact and that other nations have nothing to offer, especially the UK. They love the Brits that come here and gush about how fantastic it is, cos it feeds their ego.[/QUO]

Sorry that is your experience, it is valid, but I think most decent Aussies are well travelled (and always have been) and also not as blind to the country's faults as you may think. There are idiots in every nationality, I just be careful who I mix with, and I have friends from all over the world and treat them all with respect. I know that's not everyone though, but I think it differs from region to region, i.e. like the French don't like the Brits (for their own reasons).

Guest siamsusie

I think the UK is a wonderful place, it gave me many opportunities in my life and I accepted it all with both hands. Sure it has many problems but so do most countries Australia included. Europe is fascinating, steeped in culture and history, and I am exceptionally proud to show my Australian husband my roots and my land, my europe and always wil be. Australia is also a gorgeous land and no one these days (lol) has been forced to live there, if I were to wake up so embittered about where I was living, I would ensure that I left and left quickly, my tomb stone will read "she lived life to the full" lol

Guest guest30038

Sorry that is your experience, it is valid, but I think most decent Aussies are well travelled (and always have been) and also not as blind to the country's faults as you may think.

Fully agree. I've only seen Qld and Tazzie but in both those states the roads are awash with grey nomads who've simply sold up and are seeing their country by camper or caravan. I've talked to many and they've seen the world...............they're not afraid of getting off their arses and just "going for it". They've got more balls and knowledge of other places than I'll ever have.

The nurses travel and work in other countries and if the truth be known, there's more young Aussies taking time out from uni and seeing the world, than their counterparts in the UK. Nothing seems to phase 'em...............they simply up and off if the feeling takes 'em and come back and start all over again, and they're highly respected, especially in Bali, unlike the Pissed up Brits abroad.

As for them being blind to their own faults....................Keep The Bastards Honest.............was one campaign slogan during an election. They know full well their own faults and particularly those of their politicians and they listen to each other................they might not agree, but at least they listen,................and after they knock you down, they'll pick you up, shake your hand, and listen some more :biglaugh:

kev

Guest siamsusie

And.... lol our hospitals and schools in inner London wouldnt survive without them either.

Guest bernie

Hi Kev, it wouldn't be a decision taken lightly, have also looked at other jobs too. Thing is we have only just left as self-emp running a good business which was doing well and from contacts in the trades, still doing well and could give us work. The longer we leave it here the longer we run the risk of not picking up from where we left. We didn't have a bad life. Son was due to start secondary Sept and so all those things could revert back to they way they were, inc our house being rented out. Family is another issue and so there are quite a few factors. we wouldn't cop out so soon and had never ever imagined we would do this - came to stick it out!! We have given the gov everything here for two years and feel resentful that they still aren't satisfied. I can't do the courses I wanted as they wont fund until I've lived here two years and would cost thousands of dollars for a course which would cost me £300 in UK!! It's such a shame, but we are proud we tried and we have seen our life in the UK so differently and now have plans and appreciation for what we had.

Bernie

Sad to hear that Bernie, but make sure that you don't go out of the frying pan into the fire. My 3 sons back in the UK have all told me that their jobs are under threat and they're dreading the expiry of their current contracts as they don't know if they'll be renewed.

You sound like you like it here and it's only the job situation that has you feeling this way. have you given serious thought to just taking any work to help you weather this downturn?............it will pick up as I've seen it all before. seems a shame to put what money you have into flight tickets if you like it here.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

kev

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Bernie

Sorry to hear things are not working out for you. How comes you have had problems with ARTC? Geoff didn't even have to get an ARTC as he was assessed under Vetassess. Have you thought about trying another state in Oz. Geoff managed to get his licence after doing a two week course here in WA, not sure if other states do something similar??. The job situation is a worry although there are jobs being advertised, I think it is a case of getting lucky as there is a lot of competition for them.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do and we wish you all the best.

Archived