Truck Drivers wanted in Australia

Guest The Pom Queen

Guest The Pom Queen

FOREIGN overseas truckies could be recruited to address a critical shortage of local truck drivers.

An ageing workforce and a negative image created by high-profile fatal accidents and police crackdowns on dodgy trucking companies is leading to a critical shortage of truck drivers.

Reports of drivers breaking speed limits, semi-trailers caught with major defects and heavy vehicles smashing into motorway tunnels, are turning potential recruits away, the industry concedes.

In 2013, 56 people in NSW were killed in crashes involving a heavy truck.

Now, the Australian Trucking Association (ATA) is so worried that the $18 billion a year road freight industry will be crippled, it has appealed to the federal government to allow foreign drivers to cover shortages.

And on the eve of tougher fatigue rules for drivers, employers also want government help with recruitment campaigns to attract more young drivers into the ageing workforce.

In a submission to the Australian Workforce and Productivity Agency, which provides advice to the government on how to tackle skill shortages, the ATA asked that heavy vehicle driving be added to the migration Skilled Occupation List, so overseas drivers can apply for a 457 work visa.

The ATA also said the truck driver workforce is ageing. The average age of a truckie is now 43.

By 2016, close to 20 per cent of drivers will be at retirement age.

The submission said that the heavy vehicle industry is "under pressure from severe driver shortages and a negative image problem".

"Challenging and changing the negative images portrayed by the media about the heavy vehicle industry is important in order to attract new entrants to the industry," the submission said.

The ATA said a lack of family life/work balance, health problems and limited training opportunities are also barriers to recruiting young people.

ATA National Policy Manager David Coonan said while the industry makes attracting and training young drivers a priority, it is not meeting driver shortages.

"The ATA recommends that the federal government change the Skilled Occupation List to include heavy vehicle drivers in order for temporary, competent foreign drivers to supplement the Australian workforce," Mr Coonan said.

http://m.heraldsun.com.au/news/australian-trucking-association-appeals-for-government-to-make-foreign-drivers-eligible-for-457-visas-to-aid-shortage/story-fnii5s3y-1226794470866

• 1 month later...

I think I'd like to be a truckie myself!I know a couple of truckies in Oz,ok not the easiest of jobs,but they earn pretty good money and seem to enjoy it.I've also been a passenger in a truck before in Oz,the open roads,those roadhouses in the middle of nowhere lol Snoozing in a truck stop layby!Talking to other truckies via the radio!Hmmmm!:laugh:

• 7 months later...
WRONG...... if you want to drive Trucks in Oz. PM me, i know all the current Rules, and can give you a job......

I'm not quite wrong. Seems like truck drivers on temporary work visas could be the next rort. Depending on state rules anyone who has to exchange their licence due to their permanent residency status or length of time in country, will still need to retake the test.

I'm not quite wrong. Seems like truck drivers on temporary work visas could be the next rort. Depending on state rules anyone who has to exchange their licence due to their permanent residency status or length of time in country, will still need to retake the test.

Sorry, I didn't mean that to sound rude, and you are correct, that in order to get an Australian license a person will need to take a test, BUT a visitor can drive any class of vehicle on their overseas license depending which country issued the license.

I don't think that 457 Visas (or equivalent) will be issued any time soon for Truck drivers, but I believe they should be, we need good experienced drivers!

Sorry, I didn't mean that to sound rude, and you are correct, that in order to get an Australian license a person will need to take a test, BUT a visitor can drive any class of vehicle on their overseas license depending which country issued the license.

I don't think that 457 Visas (or equivalent) will be issued any time soon for Truck drivers, but I believe they should be, we need good experienced drivers!

I wonder what they class as a 'visitor' as most Visitor visa's stipulate you can't work, don't they ? meaning its a bit of a catch 22.

Cal x

If you already hold a UK Class One (CE) semi trailer licence you are allowed exemption in NSW (probably the same in other states too) on the usual process of having to hold a rigid licence for a year before being allowed to take a trailer test. The RMS will allow you to go direct to HC trailer training and lets not forget that getting a truck licence in OZ is almost a easy as opening a packet of cornflakes. No 90 minutes nerve racking practical test in front of an examiner like they have in the UK. Here, the guy who teaches you also signs you off at the end of the training as being competent and that is it. (usually just a day for experienced drivers)

457's are visitors. Only in Aus temporarily. They can work. Once you are a permanent resident, licences need to changed.

Anyone that is not a permanent resident is a "visitor"....... working holiday, 457, Student ect are all " visitors"

If you become a PR you MUST change your License after 3 months in the Country. If You remain a "visitor" you MUST change Your license after 6 months in the country. The Three Month and Six month periods are reset if you leave the country and return, and you CANNOT change your license until you have completed the periods uninterrupted in the country.

Anyone that is not a permanent resident is a "visitor"....... working holiday, 457, Student ect are all " visitors"

If you become a PR you MUST change your License after 3 months in the Country. If You remain a "visitor" you MUST change Your license after 6 months in the country. The Three Month and Six month periods are reset if you leave the country and return, and you CANNOT change your license until you have completed the periods uninterrupted in the country.

There is obviously a mismatch in the wording for immigration and the licence people. It's temporary resident for immigration, unless you are on a tourist visa.

Even for the tax office a 457 visa holder is a resident.

Here is SA you don't need to change your normal car licence over after 6 months if on a temporary visa. I used my English licence for five years! And you can choose to change your car licence over earlier. I didn't see the point of paying out that money personally, but lots of people do for ID purposes.

Just thought I'd point that out incase anyone read that as for all licences.

Since when MUST you change your licence after 6 months?

Temporary visa holders do not have to change their licence unless they become permanent residents.

Or is it different for commercial driving licences?

There is obviously a mismatch in the wording for immigration and the licence people. It's temporary resident for immigration, unless you are on a tourist visa.

Even for the tax office a 457 visa holder is a resident.

Here is SA you don't need to change your normal car licence over after 6 months if on a temporary visa. I used my English licence for five years! And you can choose to change your car licence over earlier. I didn't see the point of paying out that money personally, but lots of people do for ID purposes.

Just thought I'd point that out incase anyone read that as for all licences.

Apologies, I am referring to NSW rules and Heavy Vehicle licenses, since the thread is about Truck Drivers.....