UK salary vs Australian salary - advice please...

Guest Tall Pom

Guest Tall Pom

Hi All,

Things are progressing nicely with my company to set up a branch in Australia, we are a software house making digital marketing software.

I will go over as the manager of the Australian branch, employing one UK guy who worked for us and 3 Australians. Be locating to Sydney and sharing a place with my girlfriend in Maroubra or Coogee.

My current salary in the UK is £35000 + unlimited commission, this equates to a salary of $51,500 which is obviously very low for an Australian wage, that is all I know really though. I'd be really interested to hear a little bit more if anyone wouldn't mind helping me out?

- how bad is this wage in reality?

- what is the bare minimum I could live on comfortably?

- what should I push back and ask for salary wise?

- I've read of a formula that you would apply to a UK salary of multiplying it by 2.4 to get a comparable Australian wage - is this right, does anyone have any more background/facts on this equation??

Thanks in advance for your help guys. This is obviously a super exciting move but I have been offered a sales role, complete with 457 visa with a local Sydney company on $70000 per year - it's my dream to do this but I don't want to devalue myself to achieve that dream!

Thanks.

Multiply your current GBP salary by 2.4 then add a bit more 'cos you'll be living in Sydney. That may give you a ballpark figure.

Also, do some research on accommodation costs. Arm yourself with facts about the cost of living, health insurance, dentists, tax rates etc.

Guest SupportPants

I reckon about 2.4 is about correct - to give the same living standard as a 35k wage in the UK you would need $85,000. $51,000 is a wage you would expect as a full time bar person, barista or waitress in Sydney - it's pretty low but you would probably be okay if your girlfriend earns the same.

Guest Tall Pom

Thanks for the advice guys.

I have accepted the offer from the other company which is very exciting, the whole idea of moving to Oz is for a more relaxed lifestyle so I really don't want to come over and have to be worrying about money. Hopefully between me and the girlfriend we should be OK as she is a registered social worker and is currently in Sydney looking for a job and a place whilst I start the 457 application process...

Thanks again, how exciting!!

I reckon about 2.4 is about correct - to give the same living standard as a 35k wage in the UK you would need $85,000. $51,000 is a wage you would expect as a full time bar person, barista or waitress in Sydney - it's pretty low but you would probably be okay if your girlfriend earns the same.

A lot of people on 457's survive on a LOT less than $85,000. I live in Perth and most of my peers earn considerably less than that - bear in mind the cost of living in Perth is pretty high too!

I was on $53,000 for over a year and survived just fine.If you don't have children to support, it's definitely do-able.

Guest johntodd

for whats its worth, i was in Perth WA... you should really multiply your UK salary by 3x especially if you have kids etc

a lot of people seem to as part of neg, ask for clause in contract of salary neg again after probation.. worth thinking about

My mate did this from the UK but he moved to Malaysia. So, his 40k pound UK salary allowed him to live like a king!!! Unfortunately, coming here from the UK, that wouldn't work.

When I factor in super and other stuff, I reckon we earn about 2.5 times here what we did UK. And I think we have more disposable cash here.

well.. in perth i was on over $100K and to be honest.. we were alright but we wernt exactly rolling in it.. still had to consider what we bought.. although we did have a healthy "latte" factor. Most people i worked with were on that $65K- $85K but both partners generally worked.

Again.. people were doing ok.. 2 cars.. sometimes a boat or other toy.. but not rolling in it.. If you have kids.. its just that bit more expensive everyday and does cut into your disposable..

Archived