How long can parents stay when they visit us in Oz?

Guest jenny4nails

Guest jenny4nails

Hey guys

just wondering if anyone knows how long our parents can stay in Australia for when they visit us (we have our permanent residents visas).

Is it just the normal 3 month holiday visa?

Thanks in advance

Jenny :wub:

Hey guys

just wondering if anyone knows how long our parents can stay in Australia for when they visit us (we have our permanent residents visas).

Is it just the normal 3 month holiday visa?

Thanks in advance

Jenny :wub:[/quote

Theres also the 6 month one I think but to long I think:unsure:

Maslly]

Guest da3 da7

Hi guys does anyone know if after their stay (3 or 6Mths) they want to make the move perminent is there a age limit or is it down to how much dosh they have???? anyone know??? cheers Sunny

Guest boomerangpommie

I know that to stay permanently, parents of permanent residents need to have half or more of their children living in Australia, otherwise in order to get a visa, they have to be able to put up in the region of $300 000 + (I'm also not sure if they have access to this money while in Australia or if it is held by the government, to cover illness and care expenses related to old age etc). This then will get them a visa, which then has to be renewed every two years. I'm not sure about age - I know that you cannot apply for a PR visa once over the age of 45 years and I think the visa I've described above is a retirement visa - so don't know whaht happens between those ages.

It's pretty bleak and was one of the factors that influenced my difficulty settling in Australia - unless I could get one of my siblings to move out (I am one of 3), my Mom would never be able to live in the same country as me or her grand-children.

There is the 6 month visa - they don't have to stay for the whole 6 months but I don't know how many times you can get granted this type of visa. :no:

My parents had a 6 month visa for 15 years so they would arrive in October and go home in March. They did that until they were 80 and decided that their future was better in UK and the trip was too much for them. They built a granny flat on our block and had a car which they left here and they were very independent (you can never play too much golf:biglaugh:). There are some new regulations about the time they can be away from Britain these days though - it's to minimize the NHS tourism so you might want to check out how that would impact them.

Guest Gollywobbler

Hi All

DIAC in London are normally pretty good about allowing British Parents to spend up to a year in Oz if they wish, particularly on a first visit:

Tourist Visa (Subclass 676)

British tourists of 70 or over do not need private medical insurance in order to make extended visits to Oz. The recriprocal health care agreement between Oz and the UK counts as medical insurance for the purposes of the 676 visa. It provides access to the "visitor" level of Medicare. If a doctor says treatment is "necessary" then Medicare do not bicker. Not many people choose to have medical treatment which is not immediately necessary whilst they are on holiday somewhere:

Visitors to Australia - Medicare Australia

British tourists of 70 or over have to get their own GP to complete a simple form of Medical Certificate:

dima_health - Australian High Commission

GPs vary between charging £0 and charging about £75 for completing these Caertificates, depending on the avarice of the Practice Manager.

Please note that visitors are not permitted to undertake any sort of paid work in Oz.

DIAC disapprove - strongly - of people trying to use back-to-back long stay tourist visas in order to "live" in Australia as opposed to "just visiting." It is in the nature of "visiting" that the visitor goes home, has a home elsewhere to go to and wants to spend time there as well as "visiting" Oz.

If Parents would prefer a longer stay in Australia then various other visas can provide it, most notably Student Visas. There is no upper age limit on these and since it is not a potential pathway to skilled independent migration for any Parent who is more than about 55 max, Parents can study whatever they like and can also work part time in Oz if they wish:

Students - Visas & Immigration

However they do have to pay Overseas Student rates for the courses so unless part time work is also envisaged, this can be quite a costly option though it does save long haul travel to some extent.

Parents who are in reasonably good health and can meet the Balance of Family Test are potentially eligible for Parent migration:

Family - Visas & Immigration

Parent Migration Booklet

Where Parent migration is not possible, a subclass 405 Investor Retirement visa is a possibility if the Parents are wealthy:

Investor Retirement (Subclass 405)

Parents who can afford this option should consider contacting the BERIA 410 Group and requesting an introduction to Howard Snow, who is a guru on the subject of the sc 405 visa:

BERIA 410 - HOME PAGE & NEWS

Parents who are under 55 and are business owners can sometimes obtain Business Skills Visas:

Visa Options - Business - Visas & Immigration

Australian Business Skills Entry Booklet

A Parent who is over 45, under about 60 but is something like a nurse or an experienced skilled tradesman can sometimes migrate in their own right under the Employer-sponsored visas:

Employer Sponsored Workers - Workers - Visas & Immigration

Information Booklets - Applications & Forms - Visas & Immigration

If all else fails, increasing numbers of British Parents are now opting for Malaysia and the MM2H visa there as a compromise which works brilliantly for the ones who have chosen it:

:: MM2H :: Malaysia My Second Home

The links on the MM2H website are rickety. That is part of Malaysia's relative cheapness. The people of Malaysia have charm by the shed load.

Best wishes

Gill

Guest ruth&phil

Hi I am fairly new to this, at the moment we have our application in for a CPV 143 which was acknowledged Sept lst 2008. We are hoping to apply for the 676 tourist visa and ask for a 12 month stay, we would like to go in July 2009 the way I understand it, we have to have a letter from our son who lives in Adelaide & is a PR, inviting us to stay with them. We have to supply info to proove we have funds for the stay and also to say we are visiting other areas, my Aunt lives in Brisbane and we have other friends in Sth Australia. We would then return to the UK June 2010 and await the CPV to be granted which hopefully would be allocated by Sept 2010 Does this info normally allow parents to have a 12 month stay.

Ruth

Guest Gollywobbler
Hi I am fairly new to this, at the moment we have our application in for a CPV 143 which was acknowledged Sept lst 2008. We are hoping to apply for the 676 tourist visa and ask for a 12 month stay, we would like to go in July 2009 the way I understand it, we have to have a letter from our son who lives in Adelaide & is a PR, inviting us to stay with them. We have to supply info to proove we have funds for the stay and also to say we are visiting other areas, my Aunt lives in Brisbane and we have other friends in Sth Australia. We would then return to the UK June 2010 and await the CPV to be granted which hopefully would be allocated by Sept 2010 Does this info normally allow parents to have a 12 month stay.

Ruth

Hi Ruth

Welcome to Poms in Oz.

Yes - a special provision in the rules for a long stay tourist visa says that if a Parent of Contributory Parent visa application is pending then the applicants should automatically be given a stay of 12 months in Oz if they request it:

Tourist Visa (Subclass 676)

DIAC prefer it if you make the tourist visa application on paper and send it by post to London, with your passports. That way a human in London will do all the processing by hand and can roll out the red carpet for you.

Please send a copy of your acknowledgement letter from the POPC with your application for tourist visas so that London can see what the score is. They are not greatly bothered about an invitation from your child in Oz - he is sponsoring your CPV application, after all.

They have recently taken to asking Parents to demonstrate that they have access to sufficient funds to support themselves without working during a year long holiday in Oz.

It should all be very plain sailing for you.

Meanwhile, do please come and join our "CPV Club"! The thread is here:

http://www.pomsinoz.com/forum/migration-issues/32394-contributary-parent-visa-63.html

Best wishes

Gill

Guest da3 da7

hi all thanks for all your help in this matter, it's been of great help, we can explain or even show our parents tomorrow. Sunny

• 4 weeks later...
Guest gill_58

hi ,

tried going down the year root with my visa explained when my letter of acknowledgement was received , they knocked me back on a year and will only grant me a tourist visa for six months. was disappointed to say the least.fingers crossed that my cpv is granted before my six months is up!!

regards gillm

Guest Gollywobbler
hi ,

tried going down the year root with my visa explained when my letter of acknowledgement was received , they knocked me back on a year and will only grant me a tourist visa for six months. was disappointed to say the least.fingers crossed that my cpv is granted before my six months is up!!

regards gillm

Hi Gill

This is very unusual. Did you make a paper & post application to London using Form 48? I would query this by asking to speak with a Senior Migration Officer if you did the whole thing through London.

Have they made the visa valid for multiple entry to Oz?

It sounds to me like something is wrong. Ask for an SMO and ask the SMO to read PAM3 (the relevant Policy document.) There is a specific provision that says where a Parent visa has been applied for and the Parent has been placed in the Queue, Policy is to permit the Parent to spend up to 12 unbroken months in Oz if requested.

With CPVs the applicants are not Queued early on and many are never Queued at all because the cap & queue provisions are not invoked until the POPC have to stop granting CPVs for the year in hand. They are not far off running out of visas for 2008/9 but they have not actually run out of them as yet.

Therefore the common sense interpretation of PAM3 when a CPV application is in progress is to treat the Parent as having been Queued and to permit 12 unbroken months at a time out in Oz. I really would ring up London, ask for an SMO and ask for an explanation of why the Policy which is clearly set out in PAM3 has not been followed?

I think it is likely that you can get this visa cancelled and a new one granted at no additional cost if you put your foot down about this. It is NOT reasonable to expect applicants for a very expensive visa to incur additional unnecessary costs on unnecessary globetrotting simply because Australia does not supply enough of these very expensive visas to be able to keep pace with the demand for them. Somebody involved with tourist visas is not demonstrating much ability either to do joined up thinking or to read PAM3, frankly.

Best wishes

Gill

Guest gill_58

Hi Gollywobbler,

many thanks for your prompt reply, very very helpful and informative.. I did not do this through a paper route but via the internet, although the visa consultant rang me . to tell me that they would refuse for the year.

i will try querying this and see how I get on.

thank you for your much appreciated guidance.

gillxx

Archived