Which Visa would you recommend

louialive

I am married and live in the UK and will be 55 in September 2016.

I have two children who live in Australia and have been resident there for more than 2 years.

What visa would people recommend, my son is willing to sponsor me.

I will need to work in Australia.

I have no health issues and neither does my wife, no criminal record. I am managing director of my own company but looking to sell the business at the moment.

Contributory parent visa (143) is a possible option if you meet the Balance of Family test (generally, at least 50% of your children live in Australia as citizens or permanent residents). It's not cheap, at about AUD$100K for you and your wife. Another option may be a business investor visa depending on the size of the business you own. It may be a good idea to speak with a migration agent to compare these (and possibly other) options.

I am married and live in the UK and will be 55 in September 2016.

I have two children who live in Australia and have been resident there for more than 2 years.

What visa would people recommend, my son is willing to sponsor me.

I will need to work in Australia.

I have no health issues and neither does my wife, no criminal record. I am managing director of my own company but looking to sell the business at the moment.

There are not that many option! I would go for contributory parent visa as it is permanent and processes reasonably quickly, 18 months or so.

Thanks to all for your feedback.

As it would appear I am limited to parent visa. Would you recommend using an agent or are the forms straight forward enough to complete.

I don't think people typically use an agent for this visa, it would depend whether you think there are any complications such as with health for example.

A subclass 188 visa under the Business Innovation stream might be preferable, assuming you qualify - and assuming an application can be brought together sufficiently quickly as to lodge the visa application before you are 55.

As you may know, an Expression of Interest and State Sponsorship are required before a visa invitation under subclass 188 is forthcoming.

The reason I say a 188 might be preferable is primarily on the grounds of cost. For a couple a Contributory Parent visa pathway will cost you close to A$110k.

A 188 visa - plus the subsequent 888 visa - will most probably cost a quarter of that.

I'm in our Southampton office on Tuesday and Wednesday next week if you would like to discuss - 023 81 66 11 55 - or I can call you beforehand if you are happy to send a PM or email to me with your name and contact details.

Best regards.

Edited by Alan Collett

A subclass 188 visa under the Business Innovation stream might be preferable, assuming you qualify - and assuming an application can be brought together sufficiently quickly as to lodge the visa application before you are 55.

As you may know, an Expression of Interest and State Sponsorship are required before a visa invitation under subclass 188 is forthcoming.

The reason I say a 188 might be preferable is primarily on the grounds of cost. For a couple a Contributory Parent visa pathway will cost you close to A$110k.

A 188 visa - plus the subsequent 888 visa - will most probably cost a quarter of that.

I'm in our Southampton office on Tuesday and Wednesday next week if you would like to discuss - 023 81 66 11 55 - or I can call you beforehand if you are happy to send a PM or email to me with your name and contact details.

Best regards.

Just to check parent visa cost sub class 143 for applicant and partner is 110,000.00 aus dollars

You use the wording I have two children. Is that you and your wife have two children? Doesn't have to be but just checking she or you have no other children?

My two children are in Australia. My wife has two children from previous marriage but they do not live with us. They are in a different country.

My two children are in Australia. My wife has two children from previous marriage but they do not live with us. They are in a different country.

As long as 2 of your 4 children (assuming you have a total of 4) live in Australia as citizens or permanent residents, then you pass the Balance of Family test. This is based on the total number of children you collectively have as a couple.

Is the cost due to the bond that has to be paid, so in effect the visa costs x amount and then the rest is made up of the bond which is later returned?

The visa fee is approx. $50K each and that's not returned. I'm not completely sure about the bond, but I believe it's $10K each, and is held for 10 years before it's returned.

Is the cost due to the bond that has to be paid, so in effect the visa costs x amount and then the rest is made up of the bond which is later returned?

Unfortunately most of the $110k quoted by Alan was the visa cost not the refundable bond. I have just looked it up and the costs would be:

Main applicant: $47,295 for visa and $10,000 for bond

2nd applicant: $45,445 for visa and $4,000 for bond

Total $106,740 of which $14k would be given back to you eventually.

Thank you for your reply and appreciate that you don't mind me giving you a call.

Would anyone be able to give me an idea of what sort of money you need to have to go down 188 route. I did notice on the dorder.gov.au website mentions a starting point of 1.5m Aus dollars. Unfortunately I don't have that sort of money

Edited by louialive

Thank you for your reply and appreciate that you don't mind me giving you a call.

Would anyone be able to give me an idea of what sort of money you need to have to go down this route. I did notice on the dorder.gov.au website mentions a starting point of 1.5m Aus dollars. Unfortunately I don't have that sort of money

Go down what route?

Have amended post, I was sure I was quoting post with the info in from another poster :)

The other poster is a well known mirgation agent, it might be worth calling him for a professional consultation as he suggests. There will be few regular posters that will have had experience of this visa as it is an uncommon one.

Looking at immigration site though, the business innovation stream does not indicate any type of minimum investment but obviously you would need some funds in order to establish a new business. The 188 visa is a provisional visa and you would have to build the business and meet certain criteria before you can apply for the follow on permanent visa.

Would anyone be able to give me an idea of what sort of money you need to have to go down 188 route. I did notice on the dorder.gov.au website mentions a starting point of 1.5m Aus dollars. Unfortunately I don't have that sort of money

There are 4 different streams (or pathways) under subclass 188.

For business owners the usual pathway is the Business Innovation stream.

It is possible the $1.5m you are referencing is the amount of the Designated Investment under the Investor stream.

Best regards.