From PR to citizenship, but without my wife

petrromza

Hi,

Can anyone advice with citizenship? Can I apply for citizenship only for me even when I'm married? When my wife and I have permanent residency. My home country allows me to have dual citizenship, so I'd like to apply for oz citizenship. My wife have different citizenship and her country doesn't allow dual citizenship. She doesn't want to loose it.

I can't find any details on official websites, if it is possible.

Had anyone similar experience?

Thanks

Hi,

Can anyone advice with citizenship? Can I apply for citizenship only for me even when I'm married? When my wife and I have permanent residency. My home country allows me to have dual citizenship, so I'd like to apply for oz citizenship. My wife have different citizenship and her country doesn't allow dual citizenship. She doesn't want to loose it.

I can't find any details on official websites, if it is possible.

Had anyone similar experience?

Thanks

Even if your wife gets Australian citizenship, how will her home country know?

I wasn't aware that one had to let their home country know that they're a citizen elsewhere.

I wasn't aware that one had to let their home country know that they're a citizen elsewhere.

Be sensible....

Some countries do not allow dual citizenship and it means losing the citizenship of the birth country, which many people do not want to happen.

This is in contrast to countries such as the UK, who do allow it.

Some countries require you to show ongoing proof of visa entitlement if you apply for a passport renewal whilst overseas. If you have taken Australian citizenship, you would no longer be able to show proof of visa entitlement.

The fact it is not mentioned indicates that it is not an issue. Citizenship is a personal thing that is based entirely on having lived in Australia for a qualifying period, having been on a PR visa for at least a year, demonstrating knowledge of Australian life and pledging allegiance. Family is not relevant.

No, it isn't explicitly mentioned anywhere - it's just one of those facts that doesn't need to be stated. If you look at the citizenship application info, there is no mention anywhere of partners both needing to apply for citizenship and if there was such a requirement, it would be part of the requirements and you would either have to provide evidence that you were both applying or there would be provision for a joint application.

Don't be concerned - you can apply for citizenship whenever you're eligible and your wife NEVER needs to become a citizen if that's what she chooses.

One thing to consider: if your wife does not have Australian citizenship, and she leaves Australia (even if only temporarily) after the 5 years unlimited travel rights, she may have problems if she wants to return to Australia. She could apply for RRV but there's a possibility that could be declined.

One thing to consider: if your wife does not have Australian citizenship, and she leaves Australia (even if only temporarily) after the 5 years unlimited travel rights, she may have problems if she wants to return to Australia. She could apply for RRV but there's a possibility that could be declined.

If she has lived in Australia for at least 2 years out of the previous 5 years on her permanent visa, she will have no trouble whatsoever getting a 5 year Resident Return visa which re-sets her re-entry rights for another 5 years. Provided she continues to live in Australia for at least 2 years out of every 5, she can continue to get 5 year RRVs forever though she only needs an RRV if she wants to travel overseas. If she stays in Australia, she can stay permanently without needing do do anything.

if she has lived in australia for at least 2 years out of the previous 5 years on her permanent visa, she will have no trouble whatsoever getting a 5 year resident return visa which re-sets her re-entry rights for another 5 years. Provided she continues to live in australia for at least 2 years out of every 5, she can continue to get 5 year rrvs until dibp decides to change their rules around the rrv though she only needs an rrv if she wants to travel overseas. If she stays in australia, she can stay permanently without needing do do anything.

ftfy ;)

Edit: Why is the forum putting my post in lowercase?

However being married to a citizen provides some protection, should the rules change then a tough decision to give up the birth nationality can be made down the line.

I know a number of multi-nationality couples who have chosen to stay that way to provide their children with a choice of nationalities in adulthood - one parent gives up the home nationality and takes Australian and the other doesn't.

You cannot hide Australian citizenship because as a PR/'foreigner' you always get a stamp in your passport of origin when leaving the country. Boarding a plane from Australia back home and by no later than on arrival in the home country (which only allows 1 citizenship) immigration doesn't see a departure stamp from Australian Immigration in the passport of origin which makes it very obvious to them that someone has become Australian citizen.