485-TR_Visa:Do you get a bridging visa while you skills assessmnt is still processing

Hi guys, would really appreciate it if someone could answer this:

My student visa expires in about 5 weeks, will i be given a bridging visa even if the skills assessment is not ready?

I have just finished my IT degree and have applied for a skills assessment to the acs. I will apply for a 485 TR visa today as it says proof that you have applied for skills assessment is enough to put a visa application(even if results are not ready).

Also, If the answer is yes, and If i am on bridging visa and my skills assessment is negative, will I still have time to extend my course and enroll in a short course to make up for missing subjects that they need for positive assessment.

Thanks

No. You can only get a bridging visa if you have applied for a visa.

Awesome :D , so that means I'll be eligible to get it provided I put my visa application,which i will today(since they said they accept evidence that you have applied for a skills assessment as well instead of the results in order to put an application)

Just in regards to the bridging visa, what happens if the assessment turns out negative while I am on the visa:( ? Would I still get time to apply for a different visa or would my bridging visa be cancelled?

cheers

Edited by simpson457

Awesome :D , so that means I'll be eligible to get it provided I put my visa application,which i will today(since they said they accept evidence that you have applied for a skills assessment as well instead of the results in order to put an application)

Just in regards to the bridging visa, what happens if the assessment turns out negative while I am on the visa:( ? Would I still get time to apply for a different visa or would my bridging visa be cancelled?

cheers

You might have a section 48 bar that would prevent you applying for another visa onshore. I think it depends on what visa you are thinking of though.

Yes you will get a bridging visa.

If your skills assessment is negative you will get 28 days to leave the country, or apply for a very limited number of visas (student visa not being one).

28 days to leave :( ; no pressure right :D

There was a guy who used to work with us(isn't there anymore) who was doing accounting and didn't have enough units for a positive assessment. Last I herd he had to extend his visa and did a short course to make up for it. He got a positive assessment later on and his tr visa, but didn't get a chance to ask him about the specifics :(

This was 2 years ago, so I'm not sure if this is still possible...

Thanks for the bump btw :)

Do you have enough positive units?

If he applied for the skills assessment and got his results before his student visa finished then he would have been able to apply for another visa.

My visa lasted for three months after my course finished, so quite possible.