Temporary partner visa -> permanent; temporary physical separation?

Qflyer

Hi,

Apologies for the somewhat awkward title.

I am currently on a Stage 1 Partner Visa. My 'upgrade' to PR isn't due till March 2012.

I am pursuing an employment opportunity that would result in a move interstate as the employer is based interstate. If I get it it'll be the job of my dreams and my partner is fully supportive of me. Obviously for logistical and financial reasons, my partner would not be able to join me interstate immediately. I intend to commute interstate weekly - work interstate during the week, be home during the weekend until he can move up to be with me.

I was just wondering about the impact, if any, this will have on my visa? Will the fact that we're not living together, albeit only during the week and only temporarily, be seen as a lack of commitment to the relationship by DIAC? Especially as I will have to rent an apartment interstate to live in during the week and have a different address?

If I end up losing my visa it is obviously too big a price to pay and I'll just have to let the opportunity slip by! :/

As always thanks in advance for any advice!

If you are still in a relationship and spending time together, when you can given the distance and are still emotionally and financially dependent on each other you should be fine. Because even though you will be maintaining another home during the week you would still both be maintaining the family home yes?

Thanks for that!

As a rough estimate, I think I'll be doing the weekly commute for at least 6 months which is a bit daunting. Based on what I've seen of the Partner visa application process, I suppose DIAC is fairly flexible and logical when it comes to these things, and hopefully we can somehow demonstrate that my partner fully intends to move up to be with me as soon as practicable (applications for job transfers, intention to rent out our apartment in Melbourne etc).

Guest siamsusie

Hi Q Flyer,

you will be fine, I have a couple of friends who are on temporary spouse visas, they are FIFO 2 and 1, one of them has just been granted her PR.

You just have to show an on going relationship.

Great news and best of luck with the job

Susie x

Archived