where can i do fruit picking in cairns region??

Guest leelo

Guest leelo

hey!

Does anyone know a good place to do fruit picking around cairns... maybe kuranda, mareeba, innisfail or even tully? I know there should be places, but i cant find any contact numbers etc for the farms and where is best?? Thanks!

You shouldn't have any problems finding work in tully on the bannanas, i worked there for about 3 months.

Basically you've got two places in tully that run a monopoly on getting workers for the bannana plantations, in exchange for staying with them they will find you work.

You've got the bannana barracks

www.bananabarracks.com/

or the vanpark if you like abit of space to yourself.

can't find a website for them, but they're within walking distance of tully town center.

Guest leelo

thanks so much. yeah i will deff check those out. The bananbarracks looks like my best option, but I called them up and they dont have work, but said to call back on friday. I will try and find out about the other place aswell. Thanks mate for those websites too!

Guest liddylou

Hi

Ok, fruit picking - there isn't any in Cairns itself but you are right there is work in Mareeba....An agency called Grunt Labour Services deal with most of it, there web site is www.gruntlabour.com.au but I can tell you for certain that you will need transport as the farms are not near the accomodation and they will not take you on if you are going to be relying on a lift to and from work. You can phone Grunt direct on 07 4041 1588 you will need to speak with Jenny in the Mareeba office or Brigid will also be able to help.

I am not 100% sure of this but allot of the fruit picking is slowing right up in Queensland because the season hasn't got long lef to run. The competitiion to get this work is fierce so sadly you may find getting work up there a little harder and people anticipate.

Just so you know I am talking some amount of sense, I used to work at Grunt Labour in Cairns.

If you need any more help give me a shout!

There's also the Northern Territory for Mangoes and other soft fruits when in season. Again Grunt Labout are good for this sort of thing

Tim

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...
Guest olivia priestly

Hi Leela, I am in exactly the same position as you, did you have any replies?

I did fruitpicking in a farm just outside of Ayr (just south of Townsville). I stayed at this hostel in Ayr and sorted out work for us. They seemed to have relationships with a couple of local farms. I picked courgettes and squash but some of the boys did bananas and watermelons. The had a mini bus and I used to drive everyone to the farm each day!

http://www.ayrbackpackers.com.au/

It is bloody hardwork but fun!

• 11 months later...
Guest greg81077

HI Guys,

I ve been desperately looking for infos about Grunt Labour Services, and since they have been into liquidation it s impossible to reach them on the phone, my question is I ve been working for grunt during 2009 and I know Grunt did put some money into a Superfund account, but the only problem is that I don t know the name of the Superfund, I ve tried "Superseeker" to try to find my lost super but couldn t access to what I wanted, even on my PAYG it is not written!! Unreal!!!

If someone has worked for Grunt could you please tell me the name of Superfund, that will end the long nightmare I m into...

Cheers.

Archived