What to do with mobile contracts in the UK

HarrietE

Ok, so in hindsight i wouldn't have taken a two month contract out a year ago if i'd have known i was going to pack up and leave... i have 1 year left on my contract and i am going to have to pay about £360 to cancel it early. Not ideal, but.. I have read a few things about unlocking your phone before you come, is this just unlocking to other networks or do you have to do something else with it being for abroad?

Help please!

Ok, so in hindsight i wouldn't have taken a two month contract out a year ago if i'd have known i was going to pack up and leave... i have 1 year left on my contract and i am going to have to pay about £360 to cancel it early. Not ideal, but.. I have read a few things about unlocking your phone before you come, is this just unlocking to other networks or do you have to do something else with it being for abroad?

Help please!

Unless your with 3, their iphones come unlocked and have been for over a year.

First, check out the global roaming costs on your UK phone. You might want to hang on to it for a while after you move, so your British contacts can reach you. Also if you keep your UK bank account open (which is a good idea) you may need to receive SMS messages on that phone.

I'd say you might be just as cheap to get a new phone with a new contract from an Australian company after you arrive.

Help please!

Hi Harriet,

I've done the same and will still have a year left when I land in Aus. The £360, is that a reduced rate or is that the cost of your full remaining contract?

I'm keeping my contract going and paying it whilst I'm out there. Mainly because it would cost me the full lot to cancel and I want to keep my number when i get back. I've had the same number since i was 16 and I'm 25 now lol.

I'll be unlocking my phone and taking it but leaving my sim behind in a cheap phone that my mum or brother can check for me every now and again. I know myself and know I would be tempted to use it if I took. :)

Hi Harriet,

I've done the same and will still have a year left when I land in Aus. The £360, is that a reduced rate or is that the cost of your full remaining contract?

I'm keeping my contract going and paying it whilst I'm out there. Mainly because it would cost me the full lot to cancel and I want to keep my number when i get back. I've had the same number since i was 16 and I'm 25 now lol.

I'll be unlocking my phone and taking it but leaving my sim behind in a cheap phone that my mum or brother can check for me every now and again. I know myself and know I would be tempted to use it if I took. :)

I'm 21 now and had the number since I was 12 haha.. not sure when/if i plan on coming home though so don't really want to keep it. The £360 is what is left on the contract minus VAT it would be £390 if not. I think i'll wait until I leave in October and cancel it just before I go so then it will be a month or 2 less.. maybe £300. I was thinking of getting a cheap uk pay as you go sim and using that for my bank account phone number and stuff in the UK just incase i need it... i'll keep my iphone handset but need to get that unlocked.