Questions by Border and Immigration?

ShahRukh Naveed

Hi guys, i m travelling to Melbourne for first time on WHV. And I don't have any cash, I just have my Visa debit card but I dont have 5000 in it and I have only oneway ticket. Can you guys plz tell me that do Border and Immigration officers ask questions about money and oneway ticket? I am really worried about it. Plz guys tell me.I will be really thankful to you all. Thanks

What do you mean by short stay VERYSTORMY and do I have to buy return ticket and have 5000 in cash?

I believe VERYSTORMY means you will be sent home.

my partner is from the UK and was asked to show proof of funds. He didn't have a return ticket , they didn't ask him about that. He'd never been to Australia before.

how much money do you have?

I was on a WHV in 1999 they never asked us stuff like that but i do think we had to have a return ticket to prove we wouldn't be staying!? You might need to rename your thread to encourage WHV holders to reply. 11 days is probably not long enough but could you get a visa credit card as well? Good luck I'm sure you will be fine!

I was in a similar situation, I landed and had no return flight and only $1000 in my bank, and nobody even looked twice at me. I don't think they check many, but if you're unlucky and get checked then I'm pretty sure you'd be refused entry and they'll send you on the first flight back home. I wouldn't panic too much, like I said, I haven't met anybody personally while I've been here that actually had to prove the funds in their account.

I was asked how much money I had when I entered on my WHV. They didn't ask me to prove it and I think I was only questioned because I was in Australia for 3 months on a tourist visa the week before. So it was checking I still had money. I personally don't know anyone that was questioned on their first WHV.

I had originally arrived on a tourist visa with no return ticket and no-one batted an eyelid.

The money related conditions to the visa are:

• have enough money to support yourself on a working holiday (about AUD 5000)
  • have enough money to buy a return or onward travel ticket at the end of your stay

You have £2,000 on a debit card which is about AUD$3,800. You have enough to live for a while and to buy an onward ticket.

Just bring a bank statement and don't worry :)