Advice for when I arrive in Sydney?

ChrisJD

Hey guys,

Basically, I'm heading out to Oz later on this year on a WHV and looking to spend at least a year out there. My only concern is that will be my first solo trip (and also my first travelling trip as well) and I was hoping for a bit of advice.

Like many probably have, I've looked at various companies who are offering week long 'intro' packages, for example, gap360, OzIntro etc. I was just wondering if anyone has used them and they found they were worth it? They generally cost from around £450 - £500 and that money could easily go elsewhere. I think my only reason for doing this would be that it would take the initial stress of having to plan things for the first week away from me, although a lot of the activities I could simply arrange myself with people I meet in hostels etc.

Also, money wise, how much would you guys advise taking? I should hopefully have around £6000, give or take, which should be enough to tie me over for a while as the government recommend around $5500 on a WHV.

Any other useful advice would be much appreciated, thanks!!

Is a tour worth it? well it depends, if you dont mind paying a lot more for someone doing all the hard work for you, then yes it is worth it for you. But if you want to save money, do it yourself, all the info is on the internet, and stay in hostels for the short term if you have concerns about traveling alone.

Thanks, tingtongman - That was my thinking, I mean the essentials (bank account, TFN, medicare etc.) are all basically free except getting a SIM card. Activities I can do all over with others I meet along the way, and I actually know people who are going to be there around the same time!

How did you find getting a job? Did you go to agencies or just go around handing your CV to anyone and everyone? :P

Join the YHA, book up with them for a week or two in one of their central Sydney hostels, or one of the private ones for that matter. 'Bounce' has a good reputation I believe? I stayed at the YHA on corner of Pitt St, opposite Central Station. Bounce is on Chalmers St, on the other side of Central. I would think you would meet other people quickly, and there always seems to be plenty going on in and around those hostels. Opening bank accounts, getting TFN, Medicare card, etc, no big hassle, just Google for the information.

• 1 month later...

Might be a bit rough if this is your first time going out on your own ever, but if you are the type that can manage things very well then you'll be fine. Myself, I'm going to have money transferred to a local bank account before I even get there, so I can just collect my debit card upon arrival and be all set up. I will stay in a hostel for the first week or so while I look for apartment/job. Some hostels will let you have your TFN number mailed to them, so I might set that in motion about 2 weeks before I leave.

Other than that, just gonna go with it! But I like the idea of having phone service and bank account set up on my first day. Get a jump on things.

Hi Chris,

When abouts are you heading out? im going to be in syndey too on my own frmo 26th September. I've given a deposit to OzIntro, but like you i think i might duck out and go to a hostel instead!

Hey Georgina,

I'm not arriving in Sydney until November 11th (decided to take a couple weeks in SEA first). I gave up on the whole package idea a while ago when I realised I could just get everything done myself, it sort of gives you a sense of achievement when you're not paying someone to do it all for you! The hostel WakeUp seems to be quite good for organising little things for guests, for example, they offer a free guided walk from bondi to coo gee beach (or the other way around, I'm not too sure!) so they'd definitely be worth checking out!

personally i woulndt go with one of these companies. Things like setting up a bank account and applying for tfn and jobs isnt difficult. You can obviously manage to do it in your own country so why think you would need to have someone help you.

Make an appointment the day you arrive for the bank, you will get your account details that day and your card either to your hostel or collect in branch within 7 days.

TFN is attached to your WHV. It is automatically generated when you are granted the visa. All you have to do to get it is phone the tax office and they will already have it.

Jobs really depend on what you want to do. http://WWW.SEEK.COM.AU is quite a good site. It brings results from other companies and gumtree. Locally, hand your cv out to pubs and shops. Doesnt hurt and in those jobs people like to put a name to a cv and have a chat and get a feel for you.

Hostels, google the area you want to stay in and check the reviews. I would book my hostel before I arrive. Mainly because of the travelling and the last thing I want to do is look for a place to stay.

The best thing about being a backpacker is that everyone is in the same situation and has asked the same questions you have. Hostels are the best way to meet people and organise trips and find out all the answers you are looking for. Remember there is no right or wrong way to do this so don't let people put you off of any places or ideas you have about travelling. Just because they never enjoyed somewhere or didnt love a trip, doesnt mean you will. Enjoy it and get in to the spirit of the hostel and the events they organise. Mainly, just have fun. Chill out and enjoy the two years. It goes by SO quickly!!

personally i woulndt go with one of these companies. Things like setting up a bank account and applying for tfn and jobs isnt difficult. You can obviously manage to do it in your own country so why think you would need to have someone help you.

Make an appointment the day you arrive for the bank, you will get your account details that day and your card either to your hostel or collect in branch within 7 days.

TFN is attached to your WHV. It is automatically generated when you are granted the visa. All you have to do to get it is phone the tax office and they will already have it.

Jobs really depend on what you want to do. WWW.SEEK.COM.AU is quite a good site. It brings results from other companies and gumtree. Locally, hand your cv out to pubs and shops. Doesnt hurt and in those jobs people like to put a name to a cv and have a chat and get a feel for you.

Hostels, google the area you want to stay in and check the reviews. I would book my hostel before I arrive. Mainly because of the travelling and the last thing I want to do is look for a place to stay.

The best thing about being a backpacker is that everyone is in the same situation and has asked the same questions you have. Hostels are the best way to meet people and organise trips and find out all the answers you are looking for. Remember there is no right or wrong way to do this so don't let people put you off of any places or ideas you have about travelling. Just because they never enjoyed somewhere or didnt love a trip, doesnt mean you will. Enjoy it and get in to the spirit of the hostel and the events they organise. Mainly, just have fun. Chill out and enjoy the two years. It goes by SO quickly!!

Thanks for saying about the TFN, I wasn't aware it came with my WHV. That's one less thing to do!

I have one question about bank accounts though, is it normal to have to pay a monthly fee? I was looking at Commonwealth, who allow you to apply before you arrive, and they have a monthly fee of $4.

Also, I want to get my 3 months work done for my 2nd year Visa as soon as possible, where would be the best place to look for that kind of work?

Thanks for saying about the TFN, I wasn't aware it came with my WHV. That's one less thing to do!

I have one question about bank accounts though, is it normal to have to pay a monthly fee? I was looking at Commonwealth, who allow you to apply before you arrive, and they have a monthly fee of $4.

Also, I want to get my 3 months work done for my 2nd year Visa as soon as possible, where would be the best place to look for that kind of work?

That's the first time I have heard of a WHV coming with the TFN. Can someone verify this? Wouldn't we have got our TFN number then? As far as bank accounts go, yeah pretty much all of them come with a monthly fee. NAB Bank, however, has no monthly fee at all and is really promoted for WHV makers. However, to waive the monthly fee with other banks, all you need to do is deposit 2 grand a month, which anyone with a job is going to do. But NAB is still a really good option.

That's how I got my tfn after applying for it by paper as advised and when I chased it up the tax office told me it had been there for months. The information came from the tax office, I wouldn't just pull info out of thin air or pass it to other people if I knew it to be incorrect.

NAB is a good bank to go with. When I joined they had an initiative to be the bank with the most atms in oz. They have NAB ATMs and another one called REDi which are really popular too. Saves you getting charged by other banks ATMs

I didn't get my TFN with my WHV? Did you use an agent or the immi website?

Also, Commonwealth waive the fee for the first year but NAB is just as good apparently.

The simcard they give you on the intro tours can be crap so it's not really worth it for that. You can you can buy a better one for $2 in any newsagent or even in arrivals at the airport. Look at Optus or Telstra or any sim that works off their networks with over 98% access (I.e boost).

Sorting every thing out in the first few days can be good to get you out and about and combat the jet lag and get your bearings.

I didn't get my TFN with my WHV? Did you use an agent or the immi website?

Also, Commonwealth waive the fee for the first year but NAB is just as good apparently.

The simcard they give you on the intro tours can be crap so it's not really worth it for that. You can you can buy a better one for $2 in any newsagent or even in arrivals at the airport. Look at Optus or Telstra or any sim that works off their networks with over 98% access (I.e boost).

Sorting every thing out in the first few days can be good to get you out and about and combat the jet lag and get your bearings.

you dont get it with your whv, you still have to phone up and be given the details. Once you apply for a whv and its granted, a tfn is automatically created by the tax office for you.

you dont get it with your whv, you still have to phone up and be given the details. Once you apply for a whv and its granted, a tfn is automatically created by the tax office for you.

Good to know I just need to ring up when I arrive for my TFN! That means it's only that and Medicare waiting to be sorted when I arrive. :)

Hey guys,

Basically, I'm heading out to Oz later on this year on a WHV and looking to spend at least a year out there. My only concern is that will be my first solo trip (and also my first travelling trip as well) and I was hoping for a bit of advice.

Like many probably have, I've looked at various companies who are offering week long 'intro' packages, for example, gap360, OzIntro etc. I was just wondering if anyone has used them and they found they were worth it? They generally cost from around £450 - £500 and that money could easily go elsewhere. I think my only reason for doing this would be that it would take the initial stress of having to plan things for the first week away from me, although a lot of the activities I could simply arrange myself with people I meet in hostels etc.

Also, money wise, how much would you guys advise taking? I should hopefully have around £6000, give or take, which should be enough to tie me over for a while as the government recommend around $5500 on a WHV.

Any other useful advice would be much appreciated, thanks!!

'

As someone that came on my own I honestly would just come and book myself into a hostel- that's what I did. If anything you meet even more people because you kind of force yourself to! tours are good but they are expensive and I never really think value for money. Only one I ever did was for a week in Thailand because wasn't as confident going there on my own. honestly book into like an 8 man dorm and youl be fine! your gonu have a great trip- if you meet some cool people best advice I can give is buy an old campervan and drive around oz. I did it for 6 months and because of it have seen more of oz than most ozzys! most amazing feeling of freedom and adventure. anyways good luck - oh and def go to Byron bay!