Doube baggage allowance

k8bug79

Hi, my OH is a Oz citizen by descent but never been to Australia. I hear a lot abut how with an unvalidated visa you can get 40KG luggage allowance, and that this is usually applied when you check in. However will my husband be able to get this? I know we can probably ask the airline company at the time of booking but just wanted to know if anyone else had been through a similar circumstance?

No, he won't get double baggage - this is normally only offered to people with unvalidated permanent residency visas. You husband will be travelling on a Aussie passport so not seen as anything but an Aussie returning home.

No, he won't get double baggage - this is normally only offered to people with unvalidated permanent residency visas. You husband will be travelling on a Aussie passport so not seen as anything but an Aussie returning home.

Even if he has never been to Australia? Just wondering.......is he definitely travelling on an Aussie passport?

Even if he has never been to Australia? Just wondering.......is he definitely travelling on an Aussie passport?

Even if he has never been to Australia. If he has applied for citizenship by descent, he has to enter Australia on an Australian passport.

As an Australian citizen you must always leave and enter Australia on an Australian passport. If you also have a passport from another country you can use that for travel once you have left Australia.

http://www.citizenship.gov.au/current/travel/

Guest Guest31881

There is no harm in contacting the airline before you book and ask if they would consider increasing the allowance. I have seen in the past where Singapore Airlines gave an extra 5kg to a returning visa holder as a good will gesture. If you do not ask you will never know, explain he has never been to Australia and is emigrating just happens to have gained residency by decent.

The worst that can happen is they say no...... give it a try.

Hello guys ,,,what is the baggage allowance to relocate to the uk from oz ,,anyone no ,,,cheers Andi

If on a permanent unvalidated visa and flying with Singapore airlines you can get 40kg pp. contact airline direct to confirm.

If on a permanent unvalidated visa and flying with Singapore airlines you can get 40kg pp. contact airline direct to confirm.

They are not on any visa - are returning to the UK from living in Australia

Hello guys ,,,what is the baggage allowance to relocate to the uk from oz ,,anyone no ,,,cheers Andi

Hi Andi

we got 23kg's each with Quantas on a 457 temp long stay business visa for 4 yrs !!! i would call the airline and check....

we had a lot of excess baggage and the airline did us a bit of a deal at checkin but i would put as much as you can in the container !!! $50(£35) per kilo extra for excess baggage !!!!

Hi Andi

we got 23kg's each with Quantas on a 457 temp long stay business visa for 4 yrs !!! i would call the airline and check....

we had a lot of excess baggage and the airline did us a bit of a deal at checkin but i would put as much as you can in the container !!! $50(£35) per kilo extra for excess baggage !!!!

They are coming back the way! it doesnt matter what visa have to live in Aus.

Got this back from Singapore airlines today, I asked on the basis I would be holding a return ticket due to my need to return temporarily in September.

Since your OH has no visa to validate, it appears to verify what Peach says. Admittedly though, you should email the airline directly with your specific circumstance; you never know your luck till you push it.

Thank you for your e-mail.

Kindly note, if you hold an unused/unstamped/not validated migrant visa that specifically states that you are permittedto remain in Australia indefinitely / permanently, you will then be entitled to the double baggage allowance (40 kilos, per passenger).

The double baggage allowance will only be granted when you check in at the airport when this visa is sighted and checked that it has also not been travelled on before, this has to be the first time it is being used.

You can have as many items of checked luggage as you wish provided:

• The total combined weight of all the items put together does not exceed your total checked allowances

• No single item of baggage exceeds 32 kilos in weight, as a health and safety requirement

If you are not holding the correct visa mentioned above at check-in, then you will be entitled to the standard free checked baggage allowance of 20 kilos per passenger.

For reference, for flights between the United Kingdom and Australia, the excess baggage charge is SGD 80.00 per kilo which is approximately GBP40.00 per kilo. Please note excess baggage is charged at check in on your day of departure using the applicable currency exchange rates for that day.

Thank you for choosing Singapore Airlines.

Yours Sincerely,

Ms. Sandhya R

SIA UK

I spoke to Qantas today about baggage allowances and discovered something interesting: flights to or from the US get double baggage, so if, for example, we were to go LHR-LAX-MEL my husband and I could have 2 x 23kg each at no extra cost. The fare they quoted was only £60 per person more than the LHR-SIN-MEL flight I'd been looking at. Going via the US makes the trip 2 - 3 hours longer so it's not an ideal solution, but worth looking at if you're desperate to take extra bags. They also told me we could stop at Dallas Fort Worth instead of LAX if we want.

Sorry if this is already common knowledge, but it was news to me so I thought it worth sharing.

Archived