Special treatment for difficult kids

ghost

I'm not sure if it's just our school here, but my daughter often tells me about kids with "anger issues"

They seem to be constantly given special treatment, when they are "good" and un punished for being bad.

Has anyone else found the same ?

Its called "using only positive recognition treatment," it stems from the fact that these kids have learnt that it doesnt matter if they have good or bad behaviour from a very young age they still get the attention, so it sounds like the teachers in your daughters school are putting it into practice. Good idea because it has been shown to make a child relearn what is acceptable in society but the bad side is that the program is usually not continued in the home, so you kinda get a skitso kid... who if smart learns the game and twists it to their advantage... not so bright kid and all you get is a very fustrated and confused child/teenager/adult... maybe thats what they have to be to be in AFL lol.... if they not on drugs they like to thump each other.....

Not unusual at all. Schools in ACT are discouraged from suspending kids even if they come to school wielding knives and expulsion is a dirty word. They are all about "Restorative Justice" which has about all the impact of a soggy lettuce TBH. The trauma for the victims in facing bullies and thugs can be doubly traumatizing in my experience even though they do have support

Its called "using only positive recognition treatment," it stems from the fact that these kids have learnt that it doesnt matter if they have good or bad behaviour from a very young age they still get the attention, so it sounds like the teachers in your daughters school are putting it into practice. Good idea because it has been shown to make a child relearn what is acceptable in society but the bad side is that the program is usually not continued in the home, so you kinda get a skitso kid... who if smart learns the game and twists it to their advantage... not so bright kid and all you get is a very fustrated and confused child/teenager/adult... maybe thats what they have to be to be in AFL lol.... if they not on drugs they like to thump each other.....

Thats all well and good, but doesn't encourage kids who naturally try hard and see those that are disruptive get rewarded more than they do.

Had the same thing in my school in the 1980s with the "less able" given no punishment for doing wrong when the "more able" were given an absolute b*l*ocking if we did the slightest thing wrong. Look at what it has led to in the UK; rampant petty crime, the riots and a soft criminal justice system. Perhaps if schools operated a zero tolerance policy and nipped their bad behaviour in the bud then we wouldn't have half the social probelms we do today. I'm not blaming them for all social problems but I think they are a significant part of the problem, although the blame ultimately lies with the parents.

Unfortunately for your kids they will have to get used to it and perhaps learn that life isn't fair and that hard work is not always recognised, appreciated or rewarded.

I'm not sure if it's just our school here, but my daughter often tells me about kids with "anger issues"

They seem to be constantly given special treatment, when they are "good" and un punished for being bad.

Has anyone else found the same ?

It could also be possible that the child with behaviour issues, may have a special need - ADHD, Autism (Aspergers), EBD (Emotional and Behaviour Difficulties) etc. If thats the case, its not appropriate to treat the same as a child who doesn't have a special need, as their learning is controlled by different factors. You may not be able to tell a child has these special needs by just looking at them, as they can look exactly like any other child. These strategies may be in place to assist their learning and development.

Look at what it has led to in the UK; rampant petty crime, the riots and a soft criminal justice system. Perhaps if schools operated a zero tolerance policy and nipped their bad behaviour in the bud then we wouldn't have half the social probelms we do today.

They must have fixed it in the 90s then, judging by the substantial drop in petty crime since the middle of that decade

Archived