quick ielts question

garetgax

Just got mrs's results back and she got an overall banding of 7.5 in the academic but only a 6.0 in the reading.....does this mean she will have to do it again (shes a nurse)?

Is she the primary applicant? And does she need 10 or 20 points in IELTS to score 65 points?

1) If she is the secondary applicant then she meets the requirements

2) If she doesn't need the IELTS points then also she meets the requirements.

Also, Academic IELTS may be a bit tougher than the General one. Good luck!

Shes the primary applicant and i believe she needs the extra 10 points. Yeah academic is tougher than the general one. Think she needs to practice the reading one a lot more than she did but she thought it wouldnt be that tough. She was more focused on the writing and took her eye off the ball. just a pain as the £125 fee and scheduling the test in is a pain and we will now deffo have to go into the eoi pool.

Shes the primary applicant and i believe she needs the extra 10 points. Yeah academic is tougher than the general one. Think she needs to practice the reading one a lot more than she did but she thought it wouldnt be that tough. She was more focused on the writing and took her eye off the ball. just a pain as the £125 fee and scheduling the test in is a pain and we will now deffo have to go into the eoi pool.

Yeah, Reading has more to do with understanding the question types and such rather than anything else.

Did you guys already take care of skills assessment? If not you can do these things in parallel.

I tried a online practice test of the reading test on exam english.com and have to say if thats indicative of the test im not surprised my mrs didnt get a seven. I read and write contracts for a living have a more than decent IQ got a decent degree and Id fail it in dramatic style. It just doesnt seem to make much sense. Very frustrating. Well give it another shot then it might be a case of getting a tutor or am I missing something?

I tried a online practice test of the reading test on exam english.com and have to say if thats indicative of the test im not surprised my mrs didnt get a seven. I read and write contracts for a living have a more than decent IQ got a decent degree and Id fail it in dramatic style. It just doesnt seem to make much sense. Very frustrating. Well give it another shot then it might be a case of getting a tutor or am I missing something?

Check the Cambridge IELTS 8 series. The practice tests in that book are a good indicator of your final score, especially for academic IELTS. I ended up with an 8.5 by only doing 2 or 3 practice tests from there.

Also, check www.ielts-blog.com for tips and practice questions. Also, check the many IELTS tips and tricks in this forum. Reading is all about the format and ability to extract information. Not much to do with English language ability, in my opinion. Good luck!

thanks. a lot of the practice ones etc both of us have got a 8.5 in but the one on here http://www.examenglish.com/IELTS/IELTS_academic_reading1.htm (full test) was very similar to the one Michelle got on the day. Im just wondering if this is just an exception as most of the ones ive tried have been ok, so maybe if she takes the test again she will get a decent test etc.

thanks. a lot of the practice ones etc both of us have got a 8.5 in but the one on here http://www.examenglish.com/IELTS/IELTS_academic_reading1.htm (full test) was very similar to the one Michelle got on the day. Im just wondering if this is just an exception as most of the ones ive tried have been ok, so maybe if she takes the test again she will get a decent test etc.

I think, It's best to not use scores from non-official IELTS practice tests as indicators.

Also, may I ask, what is the reason to take the Academic version?

Since it is the reading section and is corrected with a key, I think, it is highly unlikely to get a 1-point score improvement. The appeal is not cheap either.

May be useful to simply re-sit the test. Lot of people improved their scores, significantly, the second time around mainly because they familiarize themselves with the exam structure.

If you do appeal, let us know how it went.

Guest Preestva
Not necessarily, there are options OET for example.

Hi wrussell,

Excuse my ignorance, but what is OET?

Guest Aleksej

Is it possible to apply for gsm(885) without having the ielts test on which you claim points on? For example, apply before july 2012 with Ielts 8.0 (20points) and take the exam after hopefully geting 8 on each.What are the consequences?

Is it possible to apply for gsm(885) without having the ielts test on which you claim points on? For example, apply before july 2012 with Ielts 8.0 (20points) and take the exam after hopefully geting 8 on each.What are the consequences?

Hi,

Don't do such a thing. Read this recent thread: http://www.pomsinoz.com/forum/migration-issues/145931-ielts-issue-help.html

• 3 years later...
Guest jetandspade
Occupational English Test: http://www.occupationalenglishtest.org/

Primarily for medical professionals.

Yes it is for Medical professionals to gain professional recognition to work in Australian and New Zealand. Here is a list of all the medical professions that need to do the OET test rather than the IELTS test https://www.ahpra.gov.au/

Hi. I am a nurse too and it took me two attempts to get the scores I needed for the ielts. First time I scored s: 9.0 r: 6.5 l: 6.5 w:8.0. As a nurse you need a minimum of 7 across the board. I researched and managed to find myself a tutor who gave me two sessions about techniques of completely the reading and listening tests.

i completed the second test and achieved s: 9.0 r: 8.5 l: 8.5 w:7.5. Just missed out on 20 points but hey ho. 10 points will do me!

Good luck

Sam

Archived