Really stupid question about driving in Melbourne!

jennlx

Ok, so being Londonites and all, we've only gotten around to driving in the UK. We're going to Melb for a holiday/reccie at the end of April and don't know if we should rent a hire a car. We have two young children, but plan to stay very central so could also (hopefully) just jump on the train (I do realise that public transport isn't what it is in London, but will mostly be bumming around stops on the Sandy Line so should be ok).

My OH is very nervous about driving in a different country and doesn't want to hire a car but I tend to think it would actually be easier to drive in Melbourne than London, no? Obviously miles into kilometers and those stupid turns in the city when trams at the intersection....but is Melb pretty ok for nervous new drivers?

Guest The Pom Queen

Melbourne is very easy for new drivers, although it took me 4 years before I would attempt a hook turn. Personally I wouldn't drive in the CBD use the tram, if you want to go out of the city for the day then use a company like Flexicar http://www.flexicar.com.au/ where you can hire them per hour

Melbourne is very easy for new drivers, although it took me 4 years before I would attempt a hook turn. Personally I wouldn't drive in the CBD use the tram, if you want to go out of the city for the day then use a company like Flexicar http://www.flexicar.com.au/ where you can hire them per hour

Oh dear God, I've just looked up what a hook turn is.... Think I'll stick to the tram!

Guest The Ropey HOFF

The driving in Australia is really easy, there's a lot less cars about, obviously there are some built up areas, but nothing compared to London, now that is something to be seen to be believed..

If you're going to stick to the CBD then you won't need a car

However, if you want to go further out then a car would be ideal. If you can drive in London you'll find it easy to drive in Oz. My husband and I hired a car in Brisbane and found it fairly straight forward. Plus it gives you a bit more flexibility, especially with kids

Driving is fine, just remember that Aussies pass on the inside, when they give one wink they are not waiting to come in they are coming in now. Tailgating is a pastime. You should be fine, we drove in London and we drive here. Hook turns are ok, just to avoid the trams.

I really think you need to hire a car if you want to get out to the further suburbs and investigate - public transport is fine for the CBD and closer suburbs but even then if you want to dig a little deeper (see what the suburbs are really like).

If you are used to driving in London, Melbourne will feel like the countryside.

Good luck

Don't drive in the CBD - not because it's difficult (seriously even the hook turns make sense once you've actually done one!), but because it's so stupidly expensive to park :)

But if you're going to the outer burbs or the country (which you really should!) then I'd get a car :)

I hate driving in the city. I honestly think that I am going to have a heart attack when I am attempting a 'hook turn''. I can actually hear my heart thumping in my chest! One thing I will say cars will honk their horn continuously for the most minor thing. This is anywhere in Melbourne. Driving etiquette just does not happen here!

Saying that if I can conquer the city then so can anyone (ask my husband!)

In the UK you would never find me driving in a city, I would feel to anxious. But I drove in Melbourne no problem. Its just not as busy as cities in the UK. I even became quite good at hook turns!

This is a good company to hire cars from the airport http://www.rentforless.com.au/melair.htm book with them and they give you a phone number, they will collect you in their mini bus and take you to their office which is just 5mins from the airport. Very easy and a lot cheaper than the big companies who dominate the airport itself. They also have an office in the city. I always use this company, great for long term too as they give cheaper rates.

You can see the city in a few days, so you will need a car to get out and about. There are some lovely places to visit, so I wouldn't just stay in the city.

As for parking in the city, most road side parking has a limit on the time you can be there and it is very expensive if you park there. So if you do park in the city, there are many multi-story ones, some offer deals like at Central Shopping centre (?) where you get money off your parking when you shop there.

Personally I seemed to always park at Queen Vic Market, I seem to remember on non-market days it had a maximum cap, from what I can see on the internet its $9 max for the day on non market days...... google it would be best for you.

Also, parking at Crown Complex I seem to remember was good http://www.crownmelbourne.com.au/parking and also very central.

Driving around Melbourne is very easy and a dream compared to London but it can be very slow with all fo the stopping and starting at traffic lights. You can drive through the CBD fairly quickly and if you plan the route correctly you won't have to do a hook turn. The thing I have problems wiht is road signage whcih could be better, particularly on motorways. And remember to stick to the speed limits. I was done for speeding the first time I drove on my Victorian licence and know so many people who have been caught.

Some suburbs are very big so if you are looking for houses they could be a long way from a train station or tram stop and as others have said, you probably need a car to visit the countryside which is beautiful and getting a car for - if only for a few days.

Driving around is much easier than in London. I absolutely freaked when I had to drive there so if you are comfortable with that it will be easy peasie. In the centre it can cost a lot in parking fees, though, so you are better off with trams ( free round the CBD). You will need a car if you plan to travel around a bit, though, because trains only go in a straight line out to the different suburbs- no cross lines which is a real nuisance. So if you wanted to go to say, Glen Waverley from Ringwood by train you would have to travel all the way in to Richmond and back out again to get there. Still in the nineteenth century when all work was in the city.

We drove to Melbourne in January for a weekend, was a bit nervous as I'd heard all about the hook turns etc, we drove through the CBD to get to our accommodation. Honestly there was absolutely nothing to worry about. The next day we took the tourist bus around, and the driver showed us the hook turn. my reaction "Is that all?? really?? what's all the fuss about???"

I would never even consider driving in Sydney CBD, but Melbourne was a breeze.

Archived