Ships Master / Ships Officer / Marine Pilot

CaptainR

Good Day Captain R and Captain A the threads are really helpful .

I have not started the application process or anything just initial stages.

I would like to know what are the possibilities of landing up on pilotage Jobs.

I am sailing as Master on Bulkers.

What are the possibilities of finding a job with the present market condition.

Also please forward the AMSA orals questions

Thanks

Pilots jobs are not impossible to get, but they aren't necessarily easy either. Although there seems to be a mild shortfall in pilots at the present time, there appears to be the beginning of an economic downturn australia-wide which will obviously have a knock on effect on port traffic and therefore pilot numbers.

If you are already a pilot or have been one in a major tidal port, or have been a pilotage exemption certificate holder in a major tidal port and have a high standard of ship handling experience then that would see you towards the top of the list. At the moment whilst currently sailing as master you certainly would appear more desirable to the ports especially to the bulk ports.

If you send me a private message with your email then I can send you oral's papers from previous candidates.

What CaptainC says is pretty much on the mark with regards pilotage work. Major ports in the major cities will be in a pile of highly qualified Aussie applicants knee deep whereas pilotage jobs in the more remote areas of QLD, NT and WA are going to be more accessible, especially if you have some pilotage exemptions on your CV. Your command experience will definitely be valued.

Pilots jobs are not impossible to get, but they aren't necessarily easy either. Although there seems to be a mild shortfall in pilots at the present time, there appears to be the beginning of an economic downturn australia-wide which will obviously have a knock on effect on port traffic and therefore pilot numbers.

If you are already a pilot or have been one in a major tidal port, or have been a pilotage exemption certificate holder in a major tidal port and have a high standard of ship handling experience then that would see you towards the top of the list. At the moment whilst currently sailing as master you certainly would appear more desirable to the ports especially to the bulk ports.

If you send me a private message with your email then I can send you oral's papers from previous candidates.

Thankyou for the reply.

What CaptainC says is pretty much on the mark with regards pilotage work. Major ports in the major cities will be in a pile of highly qualified Aussie applicants knee deep whereas pilotage jobs in the more remote areas of QLD, NT and WA are going to be more accessible, especially if you have some pilotage exemptions on your CV. Your command experience will definitely be valued.

Thank you . Is state sponser ship more apt to these remote areas or the general skilled migration.

Thank you . Is state sponser ship more apt to these remote areas or the general skilled migration.

Unless you are short of points then there is no advantage, in real terms, of applying for state sponsorship.

The process takes just as long, requirements are the same, if not more detailed and the cost is comparable.

The state nomination is only 5 extra points but if it's 5 you need then it is worth it. Not all states support sponsorship for Ship's Master:

NSW sponsor for state only

WA sponsor for state only and may sponsor for regional areas

NT sponsor for state only

QLD do not sponsor

VIC do not sponsor

TAS do not sponsor

ACT do not sponsor (but it's landlocked anyway)

Unless you are short of points then there is no advantage, in real terms, of applying for state sponsorship.

The process takes just as long, requirements are the same, if not more detailed and the cost is comparable.

The state nomination is only 5 extra points but if it's 5 you need then it is worth it. Not all states support sponsorship for Ship's Master:

NSW sponsor for state only

WA sponsor for state only and may sponsor for regional areas

NT sponsor for state only

QLD do not sponsor

VIC do not sponsor

TAS do not sponsor

ACT do not sponsor (but it's landlocked anyway)

Thank you very much Capt C.

So from the threads it seems preparations for Amsa Orals is same like Masters COC.

I applied to some Aus ports but require Residents, Plan to Start the process by Next Month and if all well appear for Orals by Sept 15.

I have sent my email id .Please do send the questions when you get time

Rgds

Dear captain R,

Self will be appearing for my master's coc from Sydney in Feb 2015. Kindly advice what all I have to study and pls send pm me the material. Do I need to follow appendix 7 or complete checklist.

Regards

Aps

Edited by noworriesmate
removed email as per forum rules

Heyya guys,

was on board, thus cud not follow up... M still awaiting decision for my application:sad:... The last was i contacted DIBP ans I was told to wait as are expecting some overseas post for a waiver for Liberian PCC.

Hey anybody else over here goin thru this.....its frustrating!!!!

amit

Dear captain R,

Self will be appearing for my master's coc from Sydney in Feb 2015. Kindly advice what all I have to study and pls send pm me the material. Do I need to follow appendix 7 or complete checklist.

Regards

Aps

The first post in this thread gives you a good starter with what to study, and pretty much answers your questions. I am currently at sea, so unable to send you the past orals papers, but hopefully someone here can oblige.

Dear captain R,

Regards

Aps

PM your email address and I'll send over some past papers

Heyya guys,

was on board, thus cud not follow up... M still awaiting decision for my application:sad:... The last was i contacted DIBP ans I was told to wait as are expecting some overseas post for a waiver for Liberian PCC.

Hey anybody else over here goin thru this.....its frustrating!!!!

amit

Good to see you back.

Sorry to hear about your difficulties, hopefully DIBP will see the issues that result in the request of these PCC's and make some allowances soon.

Good luck

So, just a warning for anyone considering moving out here at the moment. Due to the oil price, much of the oil and gas related projectts are slowing down, quite a lot of ships are leaving the coast to down man as it's too expensive to operate idle in Australia, this has a knock on effect through the industry. If you are planning to move over in the next 6 to 12 months then I'd recommend having work lined up first, or cash to see you through if you end up working at McDonalds waiting for things to pick up.
Having just moved down here I agree with CaptainR. The job market is extremely tough and I would say unless you have 5+ years of offshore experience you are not going to find a job in Australia.

So, just a warning for anyone considering moving out here at the moment. Due to the oil price, much of the oil and gas related projectts are slowing down, quite a lot of ships are leaving the coast to down man as it's too expensive to operate idle in Australia, this has a knock on effect through the industry. If you are planning to move over in the next 6 to 12 months then I'd recommend having work lined up first, or cash to see you through if you end up working at McDonalds waiting for things to pick up.

I had to chuckle at this post as it reminded me of a cadet that dropped out of the college phase that I was on. He was a bit of a tw*t and I was very happy to see him go to be honest. He told us that going to sea was a waste of time, that we won't get anywhere in life, and that he had been accepted into the fire service.

He served me a Big Mac and fries several years later in a drive thru, I saw the horrified look on his face as he recognised me.....

• Like 1

I had to chuckle at this post as it reminded me of a cadet that dropped out of the college phase that I was on. He was a bit of a tw*t and I was very happy to see him go to be honest. He told us that going to sea was a waste of time, that we won't get anywhere in life, and that he had been accepted into the fire service.

He served me a Big Mac and fries several years later in a drive thru, I saw the horrified look on his face as he recognised me.....

I was a sailor's moll in a previous incarnation. When hubby came from overseas to work on the Australian coast, he was more or less forced to take up Australian citizenship because the maritime unions insisted that employers give preference to Australians. I don't know how much has changed since then.

I was a sailor's moll in a previous incarnation. When hubby came from overseas to work on the Australian coast, he was more or less forced to take up Australian citizenship because the maritime unions insisted that employers give preference to Australians. I don't know how much has changed since then.

For Officers & Engineers the preference is for Aussie Citizens, followed by PR, followed by Kiwis and eventually 457s. For the ratings the Maritime Union is much stronger and almost exclusively Aussies on the ships. Officially nobody can be forced to join the union, but they don't last long onboard a ship without being part of it.

The Aussie coast is probably the most unionised and controlled in the world, but with that comes the many benefits, although I'm sure the big oil majors would prefer otherwise...

Hi All, waiting for LOI to fly down to appear for master's orals sometime in March 1st week. Can anyone let me know of the latest developments. Captain C, Captain R, Doonite you have finished this stage and guess your assistance is valuable to all in this forum.

• 2 weeks later...
Heyya Guys,

hope you all gud and toiling to achieve the final goal...

I received my grant yesterday late afternoon!!!...:jiggy:

wish you all the best guys..

amit

Well done!!

The best things come to those that wait!

Out of interest, what was the story with the PCC's?