Best and Worst Oz Movies

Lambethlad

I've been using the local library DVD collection to improve my knowledge of Oz film history.

Here's my list of best and worst. What's yours?

Best:

Wake in Fright

The Castle

Bad Boy Bubby

Muriel's Wedding

Lantana

The Club

Don's Party

Strictly Ballroom

Moulin Rouge

The Black Balloon

Love Serenade

Newsfront

Worst:

Crocodile Dundee

Alvin Purple

Australia

Welcome to Woop Woop

Wolf Creek

Wog Boy

The Adventures of Barry McKenzie

Priscilla Queen of the Desert

Stork

Mad Max

I'm not a huge fan of Australian movies in general.

The ones I enjoyed (at the time) were:

Muriel's Wedding

Australia (although it was a bit long)

Babe (watched it with kids so their reaction probably influenced me)

Mad Max

Dead Calm

Priscilla QOTD

Strictly Ballroom

Guest Guest66881

Really into Australian films now we are here, i loved the one about the young man who sold his dads old car to buy a jaguar to impress his girlfriend, really funny film just can't remember the title.

And the one about the family who would not sell there house, oh my bad - that's 'castle' what a quality film.

what about malcolm , animal kingdom , romperstomper , crackerjack, blackrobe,breaker morant, crocodile dundee, candy, gallopolli,

happy feet, the man from snowy river, the man who sued god , little fish,my brilliant career, my mother frank ,odd angry shot ,oscarand lucinda, paws,picnic at hanging rock, red dog , shine, year of kiving dangerously, these were all good movies

Snowtown - worst film I have ever seen. Think I must have been having a mad moment to even go the cinema to see it.

Coffin Rock - quite good but a bit creepy

Kenny - Very funny. About a man who cleans festival toilets for a living but is very passionate about the job.

One I saw about a couple who go camping and do not respect the environment and a porpoise comes out of the water and up onto the beach? V weird

Razzle Dazzle - story of a pushy mum who gets her daughter involved in dancing competitions. V funny.

The aussies seem to make really good films or complete tripe.

what about malcolm , animal kingdom , romperstomper , crackerjack, blackrobe,breaker morant, crocodile dundee, candy, gallopolli,

happy feet, the man from snowy river, the man who sued god , little fish,my brilliant career, my mother frank ,odd angry shot ,oscarand lucinda, paws,picnic at hanging rock, red dog , shine, year of kiving dangerously, these were all good movies

If you liked 'Malcolm', see if you can get 'Mr. Reliable', same bloke, Colin Friels. Brilliant!

Cheers, Bobj.

Snowtown - worst film I have ever seen. Think I must have been having a mad moment to even go the cinema to see it.

Coffin Rock - quite good but a bit creepy

Kenny - Very funny. About a man who cleans festival toilets for a living but is very passionate about the job.

One I saw about a couple who go camping and do not respect the environment and a porpoise comes out of the water and up onto the beach? V weird

Razzle Dazzle - story of a pushy mum who gets her daughter involved in dancing competitions. V funny.

The aussies seem to make really good films or complete tripe.

I actually thought Snowtown was very good. They managed to capture the gritty realism of the people and their way of life.

Although it didn't really make it clear that the motive for the murders was to find people on welfare pensions, torture them to get the numbers to their bankcards then kill them and keep collecting their pensions.

When you consider only two of the cast had previous acting experience it deserved the awards it received.

Archived