Requesting Medical records from G.P.

Dianne_W

I've just rung my doctors surgery to enquire how much notice they would require to supply my family with our medical records so we can take them to Oz with us later this year. The snooty cow on the phone said 'It doesn't work like that!' Apparantly we all have to separately send in a letter requesting 'copies' of our medical records and depending how many sheets the receptionist has to stand and photocopy it could vary from £10 - £50 EACH :arghh: She can't tell us exactly until she has done it. Why do we have to have copies? We don't plan on coming back so surely it would be easier for them just to hand over the files. Is she right? Has everyone else had to settle for copies?

Guest Guest31881

No Need for the records unless any of you are being treated for a long standing condition, Just take any medication with you to Australia and Vaccination records for the children. Your new doctor will arrange any tests that he feels you need, they would not take any notice of your records unless you have something serious.

I have a heart condition and when I arrived I just went to visit my new doctor in Australia and he was not interested in any notes from my old GP, I have been referred for tests and consultations, Bringing your records would just be a waste of money.

You do not own your records, they belong to the NHS, you are entitled to look at them and have them copied, but you cannot claim them.

Agree with what was said above. No need to take them or dental records unless you've an ongoing or serious condition. Red books for kids for vaccination record is about all you'll need otherwise.

You don't actually need your records, but to answer your question - the reason they won't give them you is that they aren't your records - they are the organisations (NHS) records about you and as such you need to apply in writing under the data protection act to have access to them. Access to them may also incur a fee and it seems your GP's fees are in line with those recomended

by the dept of health.

Will there be a financial charge for access to health records?Answer

Under the Data Protection Act 1998 (Fees and Miscellaneous Provisions) Regulations 2001 the maximum fee that can be charged for providing copies of health records is £10 for computer records and £50 for copies of manual records or a mixture of manual and computer records. Charges are for copying and posting the records only and should not result in a profit for the record holder. Some types of records, such as x-rays, may be expensive to copy.

So the advice you have been given is correct - although unless you have a very complicated medical history that you can't relate to your new GP - I wouldn't bother taking them with you.

http://webarchive.nationalarchives.gov.uk/+/www.dh.gov.uk/en/Managingyourorganisation/Informationpolicy/Patientconfidentialityandcaldicottguardians/FAQ/DH_065886

absolutely rubbish, popped into see my doctor and he just requested printout of vaccine and 'major' illnesses, most of which I'd forgotten about, not that I've had that many, and at no charge, so it's a just a printout!

Calx

Guest Guest31881
absolutely rubbish, popped into see my doctor and he just requested printout of vaccine and 'major' illnesses, most of which I'd forgotten about, not that I've had that many, and at no charge, so it's a just a printout!

Calx

There is no need to insult members with the comment "Absolute rubbish" you may have a doctor who does not insist on written applications but a lot of others do not, some members have been charged in excess of £50 for copies of their medical records. Anything stored on a computer in a working enviroment is subject to the data protection Act. This has given a lot of Doctors the excuse to charge, just be grateful that yours does not.

sorry, I'm not sure who or which comment you think I'm insulting, but I assure you I wasnt insulting anyone's comment, I was responding to the original comment of 'snooty cow', what I was pointing out (having worked in these places), is that you can get a printout maybe 2 or 3 sheets long, which shouldnt cost as much, and that maybe a friendly doctor would just let you have this for free

Cal

Guest guest36187

I have a long standing medical condition. We never took any medical records, as soon as we signed on at a dr we gave verbal medical history and we were good to go!

Guest Guest31881
sorry, I'm not sure who or which comment you think I'm insulting, but I assure you I wasnt insulting anyone's comment, I was responding to the original comment of 'snooty cow', what I was pointing out (having worked in these places), is that you can get a printout maybe 2 or 3 sheets long, which shouldnt cost as much, and that maybe a friendly doctor would just let you have this for free

Cal

Sorry cal2, it looked like your post was attacking the one immediately above it, can I suggest that you use the Quote function to highlight a post you are referring to if its a few posts back on the thread. it helps to avoid confusion.

My apologies...

Calx

I think the difference was that the OP is asking for her entire records - not a summary (as would be put in a GP referral letter for example). My own Dr. was happy to give me a copy (charged) of a consultants letter but I would not have been able to access my entire medical records.

Guest westwoodc

HI Jo, you state you have a long term medical condition, do you mind if I ask if this affected your visa application at all? Im post diagnosis for breast cancer 1 year, we are looking to submit a visa application in June of this year and figured by the time the medicals roll around, I will be 2 years post diagnosis. Ive checked with the Australian High Commission and they stated there is no timescale after cancer whereby you cant apply and each case is viewed individually, its just a lot of money to apply and get to the final hurdle if they say no, thanks

Archived