Where to look at houses in Sydney area?

Jlew

Our reccie trip is almost here. As part of the trip we're going to be nosing at some rental properties to give us some idea of what we could get when we move. The question is, what areas should we be looking at? We're a family of 4. Our two kids are 5 and 9. Schooling is of course important. Any suggested areas would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

The two most important questions are:

1. Where are you likely to be working?

2. What sort of budget?

It's a big city, there are good family areas all over, but if you're working on one side of the city you don't want to be living on the other side if you can help it.

oops, sorry folks. Price wise we reckon up to $700 pw week. in terms of areas, we are completely open at the moment. No jobs lined up so completely flexible. really just trying to get a feel for the areas and see how how far our finances could go.

We're looking at the Northern Beaches, excellent local primary schools, beautiful area, though some will tell you the commute is painful - tbh, I didn't find it too bad when we lived there back in 2003-2008.

As for suburbs in the Northern Beaches, we're looking at Frenchs Forest and Forsetville, Collaroy Plateau, Elanora Heights, Warriewood and Bilgola. Pricewise for 3/4 bedroom house a budget of $800pw is realistic for the suburbs mentioned above.

Avi Liani - sorry, don't think you'd get a decent house in Sydney for $300,000 AUD...

Our reccie trip is almost here. As part of the trip we're going to be nosing at some rental properties to give us some idea of what we could get when we move. The question is, what areas should we be looking at? We're a family of 4. Our two kids are 5 and 9. Schooling is of course important. Any suggested areas would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

Hi and welcome

We live in Caringbah in Sutherland shire. We live 5 mins from Cronulla beach, and the others beaches here. Traveling to the city is easy one trian journey and ur there within 45 mins. and theres pleny to do for you and the kids. There are some great schools around here aswell. Look it up you wont be disappointed with it. The only reason I would ever move unless my husband got based to a differnt city.

Hope it helps and good luck

Anita

We live in the sutherland shire, been here over 3 years and love it here. There are some great school around.

Never been to Sydney so only telling you how I'd approach it. We have heard that cheaper properties are South and East, we are looking there predominantly. But I'd want to get a feel for the Northern suburbs too. So I'd spend a day in each, view some houses and have a good drive round and a few activities (ok maybe more than a day each) Our friend who has always lived in Sydney recommends out towards Penrith but it's looking like a long way, but we are looking sllightly closer too

:confused: Just got back from N.S.W. last week visiting my bro. He lives in Cromer (15mins) from Deewhy & Manly. Its a very pretty, hilly and quiet area and the houses are pretty modern and large too, most with pools. A couple of years ago the house behind him was being rented for $900 a week. Might be a bit more now though.

:nah:

Look on google maps ( Cromer Road, Cromer, New South Wales, Australia )

Guest Relocate Northern Beaches

You would be very lucky to find somewhere that you would want to live in for less than $850 a week on the Northern Beaches and this figure would probably be in the Frenchs Forest Area. rentals are hard to find there as there is a high home owner occupancy rate and houses that are decent go very quickly.

Nearer the beach your prices will go up but more availability in rental market .

You could get a nice 2 bed apartment in Dee Why or Cromer with a 45 min bus commute ( on a good day) into the city

Never been to Sydney so only telling you how I'd approach it. We have heard that cheaper properties are South and East, we are looking there predominantly. But I'd want to get a feel for the Northern suburbs too. So I'd spend a day in each, view some houses and have a good drive round and a few activities (ok maybe more than a day each) Our friend who has always lived in Sydney recommends out towards Penrith but it's looking like a long way, but we are looking sllightly closer too

South and West for cheaper properties in Sydney, east is the beaches and there's nothing cheap there.

We rent in Frenchs Forest....$800pw for a modest 3 bedroom house with a pool and nice size yard. The area is great and the primary school is very good (albeit freaking expensive on a 457 at $4500 a child). Bus runs straight to the CBD and back from here (no transfers), it's got great greenbelt areas and 20 min from Dee Why and Manly if you have a lead foot. Plenty of shops in the area as well and Warringah Mall is close for bigger shopping trips.

Second that Aron a lot of my clients look at Frenchs Forest but it is quite hard to find houses to rent they are few and far between .How did you go? I think FF area has been undervalued for a while but its being discovered.

Second that Aron a lot of my clients look at Frenchs Forest but it is quite hard to find houses to rent they are few and far between .How did you go? I think FF area has been undervalued for a while but its being discovered.

We just looked at realestate.com.au and search FF. You are right, not many are in the area so we felt lucky getting this one....even though it does leave some things to be desired. I completely agree that the area is undervalued and that it is being discovered at the same time. 3/1/1 look to be selling at around $800K or so (which I frankly find utterly ridiculous) compare to the 1 million range closer into the beaches (even more ridiculous). I can say after touring around the areas here that FF, Forestville and Belrose are about the only places I would care to live.....St. Ives is nice as well but a bit out of the way.

Hi

It's a bit hard to know where to recommend without knowing workplace location, but perhaps take a look at Beecroft/Cherrybrook, Wahroonga/Hornsby, and Frenchs Forest/Brookvale areas. To see something a little cheaper try Carlingford, Baulkham Hills and Hornsby Heights.

Basically the closer to the beach you want to be, the more it will cost you, and the more competition there will be for property, along with the inevitable blood bath and rent bidding wars.

We originally began to look along the Hornsby train line, Turramurra, Pymble, Wharringa etc. We saw a lot of dumps and some nice properties (usually owner occupied) in the region of $750pw, but you need to consider where you will be working and how easy it is to commute to CBD. If you are a little way from the train station, you probably need to drive and parking is not always good. The thing I found was the area seems to be devoid of footpaths so walking to the station would be restrictive.

Another worry was feeling isolated in these areas, you really do have to drive to go for a night out etc and if your partner does not work they could feel very isolated if you don't have a car to get out and about.

We ended up in Balmain, which suits us, loads of transport into the CBD as hubby works in CBD. Also great for a night out or to go back into the city to enjoy the theatres, cinema etc and a taxi ride is only about $20 dollars rather than $40+ for the Nothern Shores.

Don't discount the southern shore areas as there are some nice suburbs, and you will never be that far from a beach if you want to visit.

To be honest it is really very hard to recommend areas as what suits one just isn't right for another.

Have a look at this site (http://www.cityhobo.com/cities/sydney) gives a bit of an overview of different suburbs.

Guest WaltzingBack

Sutherlandshire is nice. The public schools are very good. I used to live in Cronulla and loved it.

Rental is one thing but affordable house prices, good High Schools, local entertainment options and easy commutes matter most long term.

We just looked at realestate.com.au and search FF. You are right, not many are in the area so we felt lucky getting this one....even though it does leave some things to be desired. I completely agree that the area is undervalued and that it is being discovered at the same time. 3/1/1 look to be selling at around $800K or so (which I frankly find utterly ridiculous) compare to the 1 million range closer into the beaches (even more ridiculous). I can say after touring around the areas here that FF, Forestville and Belrose are about the only places I would care to live.....St. Ives is nice as well but a bit out of the way.

Its what i do Aaron!

Guest shusselmann

Hi,

Choosing where to live is a big dilemma, particularly with such a blank canvas, I'm sure you reccie will help you create a shortlist. Here are some useful suburb profile sites in case you haven't discovered them already:

http://www.cityhobo.com/

http://www.myboot.com.au/

You'll also find interesting discussion on: http://www.sydneyism.com/

We relocated to Sydney two years ago, we researched suburbs in and around the Northern Beaches and found it was too expensive and cut off from the rest of the city (not really the case in reality). We decided to move to the Eastern Suburbs and started searching around Coogee. We quickly realised it was too expensive so widened our search to the south. I'd recommend looking at Botany, Kingsford, Maroubra, Malabar, Chiffley and Matraville (allegedly 'up and coming'). There are some great beaches in the East and travel time to the City isn't bad (45 mins on express bus or trains from Mascot \ Bondi Junction).

Good luck with your plans!

Archived