Moving to Rockhampton

vixxy666

mainly south side (but not all of it) gracemeres really bad and gets cut off and near the river. The road to yeppoon gets cut off all the time with bush fires and flooding. rocky wasnt as bad as alot of places in last years flood.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

some advise to anyone moving soon. when you get here buy lots and lots of Tupperware and you have to store everything in Tupperware otherwise it will get eaten by ants even if you buy flour from the shop you need to put in in Tupperware straight away even if you dont open the packet! its really bad at the moment just that time of year

Hi,

We went to visit Rockhampton and Yeppoon in Feb. Since my daughter has started her first year of primary school, we also visited schools. Yeppoon is nice and certainly somewhere that we would enjoy going to at the weekend -beach, cycling etc, but we preferred Rocky's suburbs. The 2 best schools in Yeppoon are: Yeppoon State primary & Taraganba primary. Yeppoon state is good, (facilities and staff were good & it has it's own outdoor swimming pool!), the only down side that I could see, are that the buildings are older and some need work on. Taraganba had amazing facilities, but is absolutely enormous. I'd say it was the size of of an average secondary school here. I can't remember the exact number, but around 5-6 Prep classes. If you wanted any info on Rocky schools, let me know. I visited several of the best ones, (recommended by a fellow primary school teacher in Rocky!).

Hope that helps.

Guest sadiesmum
Hi,

We went to visit Rockhampton and Yeppoon in Feb. Since my daughter has started her first year of primary school, we also visited schools. Yeppoon is nice and certainly somewhere that we would enjoy going to at the weekend -beach, cycling etc, but we preferred Rocky's suburbs. The 2 best schools in Yeppoon are: Yeppoon State primary & Taraganba primary. Yeppoon state is good, (facilities and staff were good & it has it's own outdoor swimming pool!), the only down side that I could see, are that the buildings are older and some need work on. Taraganba had amazing facilities, but is absolutely enormous. I'd say it was the size of of an average secondary school here. I can't remember the exact number, but around 5-6 Prep classes. If you wanted any info on Rocky schools, let me know. I visited several of the best ones, (recommended by a fellow primary school teacher in Rocky!).

Hope that helps.

Hi nic0218

We are moving to rocky in September with our 3 year old daughter. She isnt due to start school for a while yet but I would interested to hear what you found re schools? Did you look at any childcare places? Ive got a job lined up so I will be need to find somewhere to put her quite quickly and theres only so much research you can do on line!

:)

I'm not that clued up about kindergartens in Rocky, although my daughter may need to go to one for a short while, if we get there before Jan 2013!! I'd probably look at Kindies near to the better schools. Frenchville primary, is one of the best, but since they stopped their catchment area, is rapidly growing, (currently has 7 prep classes!!!). Mount Archer is another I visited and looks to be as good as Frenchville, but not as large, (only 4 prep classes!).

Kindergarten wise, I agree with you, its really hard to judge how good they are on the internet. Best bet, is probably to spend a day visiting a few and see which one fits best for you and your daughter. Hope that helps a little, let me know if you want any more info!

Guest hosvet

Yeppoon is beautifull if you're into beach and islands. I have lived here for seven years absolute beach front & work in Rocky. I have always been able to drive to rocky, even in the big floods we could drive across the bridge over the Fitzroy and get into the CBD. Rocky is cut off from the South at the Yeppen (nothing to do with Yeppoon) plain which is the Fitzroy river floodplain. My kids go to Farnborough primary the eldest is now at St Ursulas (catholic girls good acedemic - don't have to be catholic).

Hi hosvet

Im moving over in a few weeks, im still looking for a job but gladstone looks the most likely place ill find one is there anywhere coastal that I could commute from other than yeppoon etc as there a little too far up.

Thanks Vicky

Guest hosvet

over 2 hrs from yeppoon. yep all happening in gladstone but accom a prob. mob of people living at Caliope and catching the train. dont really know the area

• 1 month later...
Guest charmands

Hi everyone, great thread. Has anyone actually moved out there yet? we were originally moving to Mackay but chose rockhampton due to the rental crisis. We'll hopefully be moving out in october from whitley bay. We've done all the web searches and it looks great but we'd still love to hear from anyone thats in a similar position (2 children aged 1 & 4). if anyone has any views on the place, things to do with children, good areas or making friends that would be great. thanks

hey I fly out of Newcastle tomorrow but my other halfs been living there 2 months and really likes it lots to see and do friendly people and not far for some cool places. We haven't got kids yet so not sure on that side of things but the beaches are gorgeous and clean and plenty of parks and swimming pools etc. Good luck if you need any help just pm me

Guest sadiesmum

Best of luck for tomorrow Vixxy, I'll be thinking of you :)

Hi Charmands,

We are hopefully moving to Rocky in the next few months, just waiting for our visas.

I have a 3 year old and from what I have researched there is loads for kids to do, lots of playgroups, playgrounds etc. The only thing I have noticed is that there seems to be long waiting lists at the best Kindy places. We have a few friends out there with kids and they have been raving about how child friendly it is so we will see.

I dont know if you are in a position to pay but the Girls Grammar school is supposed to be excellent, they take them from age of 5, not sure what the waiting list is like?

• 4 weeks later...

Hey

Were moving to Rockhampton end of July, my husband has got a job there. We have two boys aged 5 and 2. Just wondering how everyone finding rockhmapton. We are thinking of living in yeppoon. any info on schools etc would be great

Elaine

hey Elaine were enjoying it so far, it's got cowboys so it's quirky yeppoons lovely not a really long commute but long enough to put me off at the moment cos we start work too early lol not sure about schools there's lots of religious, catholic schools but they seem to cost a huge amount someone with kids may be along to help. which company does oh work for there's 4 English couples here all from the same company sponsor. if u need abything else let me know and I'll try and find out vicky

Hi Vicky,

Thanks for the info. Starting to get nervous now as the time is getting closer! My Husband has been sponsored by Brown and Hurley Parkhurst. We fly out July 30th!!What is the weather like at mo?? some ppl telling me to bring plenty of winter clothes for the boys but going by online forecast doesnt seem necessary??

hey Elaine it gets surprisingly cool especially in the houses we've had early mornings of 4 degrees this week and gets cool of an evening so plenty of jumpers and pjs and dressing gowns it's warm during the day but a cardigan is often needed plus the ozzies are wearing big coats so once your aclimatised you'll needed woollies for next year. I've bought a plug in heater for the bedroom as the houses are built to stay cool which in 4 degrees can be freezing! we've had lots of rain for winter so waterproof jackets would be handy. Our stuff comes tomorrow can't wait to get my jeans n jumpers and stuff I'm glad I packed them

Hi,

Just got back from a road trip and we stayed in Yeppoon/Emu Park. Emu Park is really, really nice. I can say without doubt that you've got a treat in store. They appear to have just spent a fair was of cash making the front really shine, and it's paid off. Whether you stay there or not, you should pencil in a day trip there and you won't be disappointed. I've heard that Rocky itself can get a bit hot in summer, because there's a range of hills between it and the coast. Yeppoon is a bit more developed, with a nice shopping centre and I guess more schools than Emu Park.

Another nice thing about that area is that the coastal road has some fantastic views out over the beaches. So, be prepared to see some absolutely iconic vistas of Australia and try not to swear in front of the kids.

Hi all, new to this site. Should be moving to Rocky in about a month, just waiting for 457 visa to come back. We have two kids aged 3 and 2 and have been living in NZ for a year now. Have been tempted across the ditch with a good job offer. Would be great to hear from some of ya and hear how the new recruits are getting on with there settling in, cheers

Guest charmands

hi vixxy, Elaine and all the guys on the thread.

We've now got the go ahead and I'll be coming over to Rocky on the 7th August. I'm going back for a week on 7th sept when Amanda and the boys (1&4) will join us. I'm bursting with questions and wondered if anyone had some answers or advice. They are as follows

My oldest boy Charlie is 4 on July 24th and was due to start school here in sept. Will he get into prep or will I have to fork out for daycare?

Are there any tax benefits or childcare benefits for 457 visa holders

Anyone know a decent holiday home or apartment to rent while we sort out a long term rental, we fancied emu park but would consider anywhere short term

ANYONE FANCY A BEER!!!!

How easy is it to turn up and rent a house? Anyone encountered problems?

Best bank to go with

Anyone get cheap deals for flights out there.

I don't expect answers to all the questions but as long as the beer one is answered then I'm happy!

Look forward to getting there and hopefully speak soon

Cheers

Gerry

hey can't help with kid stuff unfortunately but apparently got some pretty good schools. No tax benefits for 457 that I know of but got to go to a tax account soon so I'll let u know!

loads of holiday rentals probs easy to google and compare prices there's some the bottom of rocky and loads yeppoon and I imagine emu will have to depends how far you want to commute.

everyone has settle well here we just go out as much as possible to try and make friends this is the biggest challenge for me sp hopefully with time we'll get good friends before I have kids.

good luck keep in touch anymore questions just ask

rentals aren't too bad plenty around need plenty of forms of ID your employer might help ours did. We use westpak bank don't know even about oz to know a good or bad bank but had no problems yet lol Web jet for flights apparently but then go to the carriers website to double check and get the cheaper prices. Flights are pricey but aslong as u earn a good wage. Cars are very expensive old ones at least hold there value but getting finance on a new car on a 457 is fine we got a ford focus cost about the same as the uk. Hope this helps Vix

Hi charmands, I am in Gladstone ;) on 457 you can't apply for any Centrelink benefits(incl childcare benefit and rebate) the going rate is $60-70 a day in childcare, family day care ( at people's homes) is bit cheaper and the cut off date for school is 30.6 so your almost 4 year old won't start prep till feb 2014!! I know that because my son is 4 on the 22.7.

Rocky is very nice, try to look at living in Yeppoon, very nice decently priced properties there and it's quite lively "town"

Good luck with the move

Archived