Moving to Rockhampton

vixxy666

Hello mates

I am a qualified accountant and currently live in WA ever since I moved to Australia in 2012. I have now been a offered accounting & finance job by a company based in Rockhampton.

I was able to gather some information from this thread. As this thread is petty old, I would like someone to give me some helpful tips on the following in the context of the current situation:

1. Best places to live in Rockhampton

2. Good primary schools (I have two daughters aged 10 and 6)

3. Places to avoid e.g. flood prone areas etc.

4. Commuting within Rockhampton

Thanks in advance for your contribution.

KJ

Hi there,

best of luck, in advance , with your possible/future move to Rocky.

The following answers are obviously subjective and I'm sure you'll want to have a good look around once you get here.

1. Best places: The Range area has some lovely older houses, Queenslanders etc. close to the Botanic gardens and the two grammar schools. Frenchville is one of the best suburbs. If you want lots of space or are thinking of building your own there are a couple of areas in north rocky: Glenlee, Olive tree estate etc.

2:The best schools depend on area and budget. If you're happy fee paying there's the Grammar, Girls grammar or some of the catholic schools: St Anthony's, St. Peter's. State school wise: Frenchville has a good reputation. Mount Archer has also been rising in their results.

3: south side, ( Rocky's divided by the Fitzroy river and everything is either south side, or north side!), is generally prone to flooding, but only in sections. Saying that there are areas near to Lakes creek, north side that regularly flood. Your best bet is to google Rockhampton regional council's website and there's a section which maps areas that are affected by flooding.

4: Everywhere takes 10 mins to get to in Rocky! However, there are people who commute into Rockhampton from "The Beach"- Yeppoon/ emu park, takes about 30/40 mins depending on traffic. There's obviously the airport that does daily flights to Brisbane and the train service.

Hope that helps a little!

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey,

We moved to CQ in 2012. We first lived in rockhampton which we hated. We moved to Yeppoon which is on the coast, it's like a different world to rocky. Very family orientated, people are so friendly heaps to do, beach, 4 4'n , fishing are but to name a few. My hubby works in rockhampton and commutes daily it only takes 20 mins depending on where your working in rocky. There are some great schools in yeppoon also. My son's attend farnborough state school which h is a small country school only 5 mins from Centre of yeppoon. There are 5 primary schools in yeppoon, 2 catholic high schools and a state high school. All of which have a great reputation. Hope this helps just sing out if u need more info

Thanks nic2018. That was really informative.

Hi there,

best of luck, in advance , with your possible/future move to Rocky.

The following answers are obviously subjective and I'm sure you'll want to have a good look around once you get here.

1. Best places: The Range area has some lovely older houses, Queenslanders etc. close to the Botanic gardens and the two grammar schools. Frenchville is one of the best suburbs. If you want lots of space or are thinking of building your own there are a couple of areas in north rocky: Glenlee, Olive tree estate etc.

2:The best schools depend on area and budget. If you're happy fee paying there's the Grammar, Girls grammar or some of the catholic schools: St Anthony's, St. Peter's. State school wise: Frenchville has a good reputation. Mount Archer has also been rising in their results.

3: south side, ( Rocky's divided by the Fitzroy river and everything is either south side, or north side!), is generally prone to flooding, but only in sections. Saying that there are areas near to Lakes creek, north side that regularly flood. Your best bet is to google Rockhampton regional council's website and there's a section which maps areas that are affected by flooding.

4: Everywhere takes 10 mins to get to in Rocky! However, there are people who commute into Rockhampton from "The Beach"- Yeppoon/ emu park, takes about 30/40 mins depending on traffic. There's obviously the airport that does daily flights to Brisbane and the train service.

Hope that helps a little!

Thanks Foxybeau. That was really useful.

Hey,

We moved to CQ in 2012. We first lived in rockhampton which we hated. We moved to Yeppoon which is on the coast, it's like a different world to rocky. Very family orientated, people are so friendly heaps to do, beach, 4 4'n , fishing are but to name a few. My hubby works in rockhampton and commutes daily it only takes 20 mins depending on where your working in rocky. There are some great schools in yeppoon also. My son's attend farnborough state school which h is a small country school only 5 mins from Centre of yeppoon. There are 5 primary schools in yeppoon, 2 catholic high schools and a state high school. All of which have a great reputation. Hope this helps just sing out if u need more info

• 6 months later...

Hi guys,

We're moving to Rocky sometime early 2016, we've got 2 kids 4 and 7. It's interesting to read the posts from all the way back in 2012. Just wondering how some of you have been getting along?

There were lot's of debate previously about whre to live, either Rocky, or closer to the coast. Wondering what most of you decided to do finally? (it may influence our decision as well)

Are you still meeting for beers?

Has Rocky, Yeppoon and emu park changed at all in the 3 years since this thread was started?

What about cars? Is it possible to get financing fresh off the boat? Do the banks need like a credit history or something similar before giving out loans?

Oh, how was the cyclone that hit Rocky early this year? Hope everyone was safe. Is it easy to find houses that have been certified safe to a certain category of storm?

It's been quite a few months since the last post on this thread...hope to hear from some of you.

Thanks in advance..

King Jr,

how did your move go? which school did you decide to place your kids in finally?

Cheers!

Hello mates

I am a qualified accountant and currently live in WA ever since I moved to Australia in 2012. I have now been a offered accounting & finance job by a company based in Rockhampton.

I was able to gather some information from this thread. As this thread is petty old, I would like someone to give me some helpful tips on the following in the context of the current situation:

1. Best places to live in Rockhampton

2. Good primary schools (I have two daughters aged 10 and 6)

3. Places to avoid e.g. flood prone areas etc.

4. Commuting within Rockhampton

Thanks in advance for your contribution.

KJ

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Guys,

I will work in Rocky some time at the early of 2016. I read some suggestions on renting, school which are very helpful. Really thanks you all very much.

I have a daughter with 10 years old and hope she can study in Fenchville State school or Lighthouse Christian School. Is it difficult to study in the school? We are still in Shanghai, China. Do I need my daughter's current school to provide some education files? Is there somebody know the two school well.

Thanks.

Judy Y

Hi Judy Y,

Almost all schools that I've written to require a report from the previous school. Some even asked for reports from the preceding 2 years.

I've heard a lot of good things about Frenchville. Some say that it's zoned, which means you'll have to live within the address zone that the school accepts students.

I'm not in Rocky yet so all my info is second hand.

All the best,

dv4

Hi Judy Y,

Almost all schools that I've written to require a report from the previous school. Some even asked for reports from the preceding 2 years.

I've heard a lot of good things about Frenchville. Some say that it's zoned, which means you'll have to live within the address zone that the school accepts students.

I'm not in Rocky yet so all my info is second hand.

All the best,

dv4

Thanks dv4.

Archived