Do we need medical records

vixxy666

Not unless you've got children and they will need their red vaccination books. Or if you've a serious ongoing medical condition or some such. For the rest you can give your medical history yourself once there.

Your GP should just print them off and not charge you! They are your notes and you are entitled to a copy - its dubious if £50 is a reasonable charge - kick up a fuss!

Unless its a s....... practice!

Most will give you a basic print out but your full notes they usually charge a fee to have them done. It seems to vary price wise. I've seen figures between £20-50 being mentioned in the past.

If you actually don't need to take them, I'd not bother. Its one less thing to worry about.

We paid for our medical records - our GP's charged us 10GBP each as an administration fee. It is free to 'see' your records but they have the right to charge for the printing/admin etc. We have never used them but it was useful for me as I am a diabetic so I had the history of my blood sugars.

Dental - no need as they just examine your teeth and make notes. My advice would be to ensure you have a check up and any treatment completed before coming here.

Opticians - useful to bring a report so when you get your eyes checked they can know of any changes within your eyes. We brought ours and was useful.

Guest haunted1234
I got mine the other day and it cost me £40. I have a long standing medical condition. But I'm not sure how useful they are. I can't even imagine they will read them:skeptical:

I too have a long standing medical condition so brought my notes...it meant i didnt have to have more blood tests to 're diagnose' my doc was lovely and read through them and took copies.

i was shocked to read through my notes...when years ago i had gone to the docs about the breakdown of my marriage and the receptionist had put exclamation marks and 'smilies' in them! LOL!

I too have a long standing medical condition so brought my notes...it meant i didnt have to have more blood tests to 're diagnose' my doc was lovely and read through them and took copies.

i was shocked to read through my notes...when years ago i had gone to the docs about the breakdown of my marriage and the receptionist had put exclamation marks and 'smilies' in them! LOL!

Mine were the same! Made my blood run cold some of the casual remarks that were made in some of them. Technically, they are breaking the law by doing that. But I wasn't bothered as they were made by my old GP, and I moved practices due to unprofessionalism anyway.

I would say yes, get copies of them as it can be difficult remembering even basic things like have you had your injections/boosters etc done and even if you do not have any particular health problems you never know when details would come in handy. I was surprised at how detailed mine were and had results of blood tests etc.

Oddly enough I was researching charges for providing copies for work yesterday. If their COMPUTER records have been updated in the last 40 days then they are not allowed to charge. If they were last updated over 40 days ago the MAXIMUM charge is 10 pounds by law. If you want a mixture of computer and paper records they can charge up to 50 pounds. It is probably best just to get copies of the computer records.

With regards to comments on paper records which come people were shocked about. They were probably not breaking the law at the time. The Data Protection Act 1984 only covered computer records until 2006 (I think) then it was extended to paper records. When I worked in a bank, some details of customers were deliberately kept on paper records so they woudn't comply with legislation. Some comments were quite rude so I bet they had a nightmare having to review customer files before the new legislation came in!

I would say yes, get copies of them as it can be difficult remembering even basic things like have you had your injections/boosters etc done and even if you do not have any particular health problems you never know when details would come in handy. I was surprised at how detailed mine were and had results of blood tests etc.

Oddly enough I was researching charges for providing copies for work yesterday. If their COMPUTER records have been updated in the last 40 days then they are not allowed to charge. If they were last updated over 40 days ago the MAXIMUM charge is 10 pounds by law. If you want a mixture of computer and paper records they can charge up to 50 pounds. It is probably best just to get copies of the computer records.

With regards to comments on paper records which come people were shocked about. They were probably not breaking the law at the time. The Data Protection Act 1984 only covered computer records until 2006 (I think) then it was extended to paper records. When I worked in a bank, some details of customers were deliberately kept on paper records so they woudn't comply with legislation. Some comments were quite rude so I bet they had a nightmare having to review customer files before the new legislation came in!

Afraid not. The Caldicott Principles came into effect in 1997. As a medical professional, I have to adhere to these principles, alongside The Data Protection Act 1998 and 1994. I think you maybe referring to the Computer Misuse Act 2006.

http://www.connectingforhealth.nhs.uk/systemsandservices/infogov/codes/lglobligat.pdf

Page 21 & 22 highlight these points.

Just the question I was going to ask, I rang our GP yesterday and like yourself it £50 each, there is 4 of us so just an extra cost we could do without, we are all healthy but my youngest has has a heart condition ( he was discharge last Sumer) should I just pay for his and not bother with the rest of us? Any suggestions or anyone been without and has that been a problem?

Archived