A bit worried....can anyone help.

lauracoldwell

Hey everyone,

I need to ask a question about something that happened to me today. I feel so daft asking this question as I give people advice on their mental wellness most days of my life.

So I have a lot of things on my mind at the moment with emigration stuff and work. I am in a job that I hate and the hours they give me are ridiculous. Work was really bad at one point but, to be honest it has got much better at the moment. I was expecting my IELTS results today which has been causing me a bit of stress but all of these things do not compare to stress I have experienced before.

Anyway ill get back to the story..So i was driving happily down the M62 to work today, I felt a bit strange when I got up but thought nothing of it and took some pain killers. I felt a bit "strange " driving to work but turned up the Clash to try and give a good sing along to take my mind off this wierd feeling. The next minute there is this searing pain through my stomach and back and my mind starts racing....."oh god Im having a heart attack, No i'm not this wouldnt happen to me, yes I am" so I pull over into the hard shoulder, on a fairly busy motorway and think to myself, ""I have about 3 seconds to do something before I pass out" so i race out of my car, my whole body is numb at this point and I am shaking, and I flag a passer by down. I sun over to this guy and scream at him to call an ambulance. I tell him I am dying and I am going to pass out. So an ambulance comes and my heart rate, and blood pressure are DOUBLE what they normally are. So the paramedics were worried, I was in hysterics and they took me to the hospital.

It turns out it was a pretty big panic attack. I have honestly never felt anything like this in my life and to be honest when people, such as my patients had told me about them I often wondered if they were being dramatic. I now know it is the worst feeling in the world.

Last year I was in my final year at uni, in a new marriage, declaring my self bakrupt and I never experienced a feeling even close to this so why now?! Nothing has happened to me such as a death or anything and work is a bit shitty but no one likes work right?? I know they can just come on but it has scared me to death. I dont know what I would do if it happened again. I genuinely thought this is it, my life is over, I am going to die on the hard shoulder of the M62, completely irrational thoughts.

I am hoping it is a one off but I dont know weather to go to the GP, and this is where I need your help. If i go to the GP and get some support with this (I DO NOT want medication) will this flag up on my medicals and effect my chances of emigrating?

Sorry for the long post, it has been a strange day and I had to tell my laptop :(

Thanks guys,

Laura. xxx

Guest The Ropey HOFF

If your anything like your posting then no wonder your stressed out, for goodness sake calm Down, lol, not wanting to sound harsh, just a bit of advice. Firstly and most importantly, your health is paramount and do exactly what the doctor says, having a few tests won't effect your medicals, I think you have to have serious underlying medical problems to fail and if in general your health is usually fine, then you will have no problems. Best of luck and let your Doctor look after you.

Guest Bazinga

Go to the Dr. Talk to friends or a counsellor. Expect to feel out of sorts for abt a week after the panic attack. Be kind to yourself. Breathe. Stress can hit at anytime. You'll be ok, just have to work through it. Panic attacks are terrifying, I know but you can manage them.

If your anything like your posting then no wonder your stressed out, for goodness sake calm Down, lol, not wanting to sound harsh, just a bit of advice. Firstly and most importantly, your health is paramount and do exactly what the doctor says, having a few tests won't effect your medicals, I think you have to have serious underlying medical problems to fail and if in general your health is usually fine, then you will have no problems. Best of luck and let your Doctor look after you.

Ha ha thanks the Ropey HOFF, I am a bit like my posts, slightly erratic and I def know I need to calm down. Thats what I thought about going to see the doctor, hopefully they will be able to sort my overthinking mind out!! xx

Oh I forgot to mention, everyone gets stressed out driving on the M62. Lol.

I agree, the amount of times I have wanted to kill someone on the bloody M62!! xx

Go to the Dr. Talk to friends or a counsellor. Expect to feel out of sorts for abt a week after the panic attack. Be kind to yourself. Breathe. Stress can hit at anytime. You'll be ok, just have to work through it. Panic attacks are terrifying, I know but you can manage them.

Thanks Bazinga, I feel a bit strange now, hopefully it will pass soon. Think Im going to look at CBT. xxx

So sorry this has happened to you, I had my first attack on the main street in Tokyo on a Sunday. Came from nowhere, no reason, no stress just happened. My poor oh did not know what to do and nor did I. However after a long time of suffering then I went on meds and have been ever since and best decision I made. I was taken into a hospital study as they believe that some of us have a chemical problem that causes them.

There is no shame in carrying a pill just in case and I always do.

Depends if this was a one off or whether you go on to have more I guess but I was put on to a good computer programme that teaches how to breath properly , to the bottom of the lungs as when panic sets in we breath from the top and this makes it worse.

Part of the mantle of "Depresson

So sorry this has happened to you, I had my first attack on the main street in Tokyo on a Sunday. Came from nowhere, no reason, no stress just happened. My poor oh did not know what to do and nor did I. However after a long time of suffering then I went on meds and have been ever since and best decision I made. I was taken into a hospital study as they believe that some of us have a chemical problem that causes them.

There is no shame in carrying a pill just in case and I always do.

Depends if this was a one off or whether you go on to have more I guess but I was put on to a good computer programme that teaches how to breath properly , to the bottom of the lungs as when panic sets in we breath from the top and this makes it worse.

Part of the mantle of "Depresson

Hey petals, thanks for your reply. Argh thats a terrible place for it to happen!! I bet that was awful, one of the worst days of your life even!! Im mad at myself for calling an ambulance. I am a mental health nurse (can you believe) I should have known what to do! I am hoping it was a one off but I am upset because it happened in my car. I spend most of my life in my car but I am determined not to avoid driving again but I just hope driving my car on the stretch of road that it happened on today wont be a trigger. I have heard people talking about feeling a sense of impending doom but didnt realise that's exactly what it feels like.

I am hoping it was just a one off but if it's not I am going to try CBT and some acupuncture. Did you find that being on medication caused you any problems at all with emigration? Xx

Hey petals, thanks for your reply. Argh thats a terrible place for it to happen!! I bet that was awful, one of the worst days of your life even!! Im mad at myself for calling an ambulance. I am a mental health nurse (can you believe) I should have known what to do! I am hoping it was a one off but I am upset because it happened in my car. I spend most of my life in my car but I am determined not to avoid driving again but I just hope driving my car on the stretch of road that it happened on today wont be a trigger. I have heard people talking about feeling a sense of impending doom but didnt realise that's exactly what it feels like.

I am hoping it was just a one off but if it's not I am going to try CBT and some acupuncture. Did you find that being on medication caused you any problems at all with emigration? Xx

We emigrated when you just got off the plane and got an xray back in the seventies so not a problem. There are many posts on here about this though and a lot of people migrate on meds etc. I personally carry Xanax and hardly ever use it, sort of a crutch. Take Zoloft all the time though and I find that is fine. Its funny we think we are so strong. I did a very high stressed job and if I ever mentioned my condition people would say, why you are always so calm. I think its the calm ones that take things in their stride that seem to be stricken with this condition sometimes, its the bottling up of everything, lol. So many people say they have panic disorder but until you experience something like you did you realise there are varying degrees, its not just being uptight and frightened its horrible. I bought the programme my psychologist used and have it here at home its called emwave stress relief system and its good for people like us who keep the stress in. What we should do is have a mad screaming match every now and again.

We emigrated when you just got off the plane and got an xray back in the seventies so not a problem. There are many posts on here about this though and a lot of people migrate on meds etc. I personally carry Xanax and hardly ever use it, sort of a crutch. Take Zoloft all the time though and I find that is fine. Its funny we think we are so strong. I did a very high stressed job and if I ever mentioned my condition people would say, why you are always so calm. I think its the calm ones that take things in their stride that seem to be stricken with this condition sometimes, its the bottling up of everything, lol. So many people say they have panic disorder but until you experience something like you did you realise there are varying degrees, its not just being uptight and frightened its horrible. I bought the programme my psychologist used and have it here at home its called emwave stress relief system and its good for people like us who keep the stress in. What we should do is have a mad screaming match every now and again.

Its crazy because I could feel it building up 10-20mins before it happened but I just thought it was a stomach ache and that I felt a bit strange. I am quite calm, very happy, get on with everyone and laugh all the time so I just dont get it, but like you said maybe its holding things in and it just explodes out. I just can't believe the feeling that comes with it, it is so overwhelming like "I am actually going to die right now". Did you ever feel like you were going to pass out, like just fall asleep when you were going through one? Oh I might google that and see what it's about. I am just doing some reading on depersonalisation and derealisation. I think I experienced the derealisation because I felt quite normal in myself but the CD i normally listen to every day didnt sound the same and the road didnt look the same if that makes sense? xx

What a horrible thing to happen, but it's probably not a serious as the physical sensations make it feel, stress is a funny old thing, it creeps up on you when you least expect it, maybe a chat with a physiologist, a bit of CBT might put you on the right path to recovery, best of luck.

Its crazy because I could feel it building up 10-20mins before it happened but I just thought it was a stomach ache and that I felt a bit strange. I am quite calm, very happy, get on with everyone and laugh all the time so I just dont get it, but like you said maybe its holding things in and it just explodes out. I just can't believe the feeling that comes with it, it is so overwhelming like "I am actually going to die right now". Did you ever feel like you were going to pass out, like just fall asleep when you were going through one? Oh I might google that and see what it's about. I am just doing some reading on depersonalisation and derealisation. I think I experienced the derealisation because I felt quite normal in myself but the CD i normally listen to every day didnt sound the same and the road didnt look the same if that makes sense? xx

I ended up in hospital a few times and its so embarrassing. Happened at a Tupperware party one night,just want to slink away. As I said people just don't realise it just happens without warning and as you say it starts in the stomach usually. Then its surreal. My kids used to know when it was happening. Its a problem though because people can get agoraphobia, I did not let that happen. There were places I hated, shopping centres with the bright lights etc. However I now know what the signs are and with the meds really it stops them. I went to a lecture once with a lot of docs there as it was about female medical conditions, I had a panic attack there and they had me on the floor. Its so embarrassing that is why people do not talk about it, hide it and think they are mad. As a doc said to me not mad, not going to die, well hope not anyway and it can be treated. Mine last exactly thirty minutes, very weird.

Hi Laura,

Yes it will flag up on your medicals BUT IT WON'T stop you getting a visa.

Have a look at this links

http://www.cci.health.wa.gov.au/resources/infopax.cfm?Info_ID=44

http://www.cci.health.wa.gov.au/resources/infopax.cfm?Info_ID=53

People have found them to be very useful xx

I had this happen about five or six years ago - so embarrassing - it was at work and work called paramedics. I did go my doctor afterwards and she said classic panic attack and not to worry about it as it would probably not happen again. Apparently according to my doctor at the time the chances of it happening again were very remote. If it did then would be the time to look into how to deal with it. Thankfully she was right never happened again! I was very stressed at this time but was not thinking about things when it happened was just logging into my computer at work and wham!

I had this happen about five or six years ago - so embarrassing - it was at work and work called paramedics. I did go my doctor afterwards and she said classic panic attack and not to worry about it as it would probably not happen again. Apparently according to my doctor at the time the chances of it happening again were very remote. If it did then would be the time to look into how to deal with it. Thankfully she was right never happened again! I was very stressed at this time but was not thinking about things when it happened was just logging into my computer at work and wham!

Ha ha I know, it's so random!! Can I just ask, after it happened how long were you worried about it happening again for? x

Geez Laura - go and see your GP and stop over thinking everything. If your initial post is any indication of how your mind is normally buzzing around I am surprised nothing has happened before now.

Give yourself a break hun. xx

Oh Freckle face, I can assure you that this is how my little mind works all the time especially being in a new job and thinking about if i am meeting expectations. You are right I need to give myself a break.I have booked a week away for 5 weeks time, I am going to enjoy the lovely weather today and go for a drive and a walk the go to my dads for sunday lunch :)

Thanks, sometimes I need people to tell me to stop thinking so much xxx

Hi Laura,

Yes it will flag up on your medicals BUT IT WON'T stop you getting a visa.

Have a look at this links

http://www.cci.health.wa.gov.au/resources/infopax.cfm?Info_ID=53

People have found them to be very useful xx

Thanks Ali, That is really sweet of you. xxx

Oh Freckle face, I can assure you that this is how my little mind works all the time especially being in a new job and thinking about if i am meeting expectations. You are right I need to give myself a break.I have booked a week away for 5 weeks time, I am going to enjoy the lovely weather today and go for a drive and a walk the go to my dads for sunday lunch :)

Thanks, sometimes I need people to tell me to stop thinking so much xxx

I used to be just like you. I was a woman pushing through the glass ceiling of corporate Australia, always thinking, always stressing, always worried about being better than my male colleagues. The best piece of advice I was ever given was - "don't worry about it unless someone is going to die if you stuff it up".

When I get stressed now I remind myself about this advice - because it is true. If nobody dies, everything is fixable.

I used to be just like you. I was a woman pushing through the glass ceiling of corporate Australia, always thinking, always stressing, always worried about being better than my male colleagues. The best piece of advice I was ever given was - "don't worry about it unless someone is going to die if you stuff it up".

When I get stressed now I remind myself about this advice - because it is true. If nobody dies, everything is fixable.

Very true,

I think I need to take this as just my body's way of saying "you are pushing me too hard at the moment" and chill out a bit. Life is too short xx

I had almost the same experience - just sat reading a book (not even an exciting one!) and BAM! Happened on a Sunday, and NHS Direct told us to call 999. One ECG later and turns out all those chest pains and breathing problems were just a panic attack.

If you don't know what it is and you think something is seriously wrong, it's a vicious circle as it make you worse when you freak out at the time.

Archived