IELTS recommendations please for swatting up on

dazeybear

Having not done the ielts test I'm not sure how hard it is. My husband didn't swap up at all (being more worried about his vetasses practical the next day) and he got 9s for the four sections. It's just English isn't it? Same language we use everyday? How hard can it be?

Having not done the ielts test I'm not sure how hard it is. My husband didn't swap up at all (being more worried about his vetasses practical the next day) and he got 9s for the four sections. It's just English isn't it? Same language we use everyday? How hard can it be?

You would be suprised! Plenty of people with English as their native language struggle with IELTS. Dazey.. Study, study, study!!

You would be suprised! Plenty of people with English as their native language struggle with IELTS. Dazey.. Study, study, study!!

Yeah this is definitely true. I know for a fact that my other half would really struggle at most parts of the test, and that is no slight on her, it just seems really hard. Luckily it'll be me that has to do it! :wink:

Guest Gavhippy

Hi dazed ear, I just sat my ielts on 18/2/12, and very fortunately passed with 8's , I used the sample questions online from both the most recent ielts website but crucially I also used their old website dating back to 2004, which gave lots of sample questions. I practised the reading which is tricky, writing letters and essays, and the listening 3 times is plenty. Do practice the writing and reading lots of times I also bought the two practise books. I sat the general test which is more straightforward but nothing is easy about any of it if you want to pass first time. You will see from many other posts the difficulties many go through to get the mark they need, I practised for 1 month 2 hours per day, and I am educated to degree level my father a teacher who helped mark my essays, no its not easy but a little preperation and practice and you will nail it. Look at lots of other threads on this site for more feedback, I could post you my books for free if you email me details, lots of luck. My father an English teacher found it tricky learn the format of what they are looking for. I can help with lots more if you wish. .

I wasn't being ignorant, cocky arrogant or trying to belittle people. I was trying to put people's minds at ease that if my husband can pass it then anyone can. Moving to the other side of the world is not easy. I was just trying to help.:sad:

Hi dazed ear, I just sat my ielts on 18/2/12, and very fortunately passed with 8's , I used the sample questions online from both the most recent ielts website but crucially I also used their old website dating back to 2004, which gave lots of sample questions. I practised the reading which is tricky, writing letters and essays, and the listening 3 times is plenty. Do practice the writing and reading lots of times I also bought the two practise books. I sat the general test which is more straightforward but nothing is easy about any of it if you want to pass first time. You will see from many other posts the difficulties many go through to get the mark they need, I practised for 1 month 2 hours per day, and I am educated to degree level my father a teacher who helped mark my essays, no its not easy but a little preperation and practice and you will nail it. Look at lots of other threads on this site for more feedback, I could post you my books for free if you email me details, lots of luck. My father an English teacher found it tricky learn the format of what they are looking for. I can help with lots more if you wish.

To be fair to Melly.. She did come back and admit she had never sat it and shouldnt comment!

Guest Gavhippy

Yes I agree, but I won't comment in a derogatory manner on anything I am unsure about, Ill keep shtum. Say nothing, this site is about helping others. My wife watched the effort and pressure to achieve the correct band score, I can fly a plane really easily to others I am sure it would be tricky, let's help with sound advice please.

Guest GlennNatt

Hiya, would my other half have to do the IELTS if she gets her qualifications (English GCSE Grade B) from her old school??

Glenn

Guest Gavhippy

Hi glennnatt, probably , it is all about the points test, if they have enough points maybe not but I think everyone needs to do it, it is a more straightforward test if you only need 7's, which can be job or age dependant. It's the qualification recognised by Australian government for immigration, so I think oh will have to do

Hi dazed ear, I just sat my ielts on 18/2/12, and very fortunately passed with 8's , I used the sample questions online from both the most recent ielts website but crucially I also used their old website dating back to 2004, which gave lots of sample questions. I practised the reading which is tricky, writing letters and essays, and the listening 3 times is plenty. Do practice the writing and reading lots of times I also bought the two practise books. I sat the general test which is more straightforward but nothing is easy about any of it if you want to pass first time. You will see from many other posts the difficulties many go through to get the mark they need, I practised for 1 month 2 hours per day, and I am educated to degree level my father a teacher who helped mark my essays, no its not easy but a little preperation and practice and you will nail it. Look at lots of other threads on this site for more feedback, I could post you my books for free if you email me details, lots of luck. My father an English teacher found it tricky learn the format of what they are looking for. I can help with lots more if you wish. .

Hi gavhippy,

I too am from Kent and would very much appreciate your books it is really, really kind of you, where about's are you from ??

Many thanks

I wasn't being ignorant, cocky arrogant or trying to belittle people. I was trying to put people's minds at ease that if my husband can pass it then anyone can. Moving to the other side of the world is not easy. I was just trying to help.:sad:

No worries Mellymop, I kinda get where you are coming from, thanks for your input and taking the time to respond to me x

Guest Gavhippy

Hi dazeybear

not really sure but I think you reply to me personally along those lines if your close in Kent I would drop them of or post whatever you prefer, I have a few other bits and pieces may help.if you ask moving to Melbourne as they are a site moderator and could guide you on how to email me direct chat soon gav

What i found usefull was for the reading section - spend 10 mins on the 1st, 15 mins on the 2nd and the rest of the time on the third reading sample, as it's longer and more indepth. Try and make notes in the margin and highlight significant points as you go, this will save you having to re-read whole section again. for the written section, keep you anwers simple and concise- intro, main body, conclusion. This worked for me as I managed to get the points that I needed.

Del

To Anybody who is going to be taking the (general) IELTS test,

The reason i am writing on this thread is to say, that i would not worry too much about it. If your first language is English then you will have no problem. I read lots on-line about how hard it was, which worried me a bit and started stressing me out. I did get the IELTS CD Rom and book which you can purchase when you book your test. I found this very helpful and spent a couple of evenings before my Exam looking at this. It Mainly gives you an idea of what they expect of you and how the questions are structured.

I would say that the speaking and listening are dead easy, so don't spend much time practicing these. The reading takes a bit of concentration but all the answers are there. The writing which i thought would be hard was also quite simple. I had to write a letter to a friend, explaining why i could not meet him for a day out and apologise etc, this was 150 words. For the next task (250 words) i had to give my opinion on what i thought of Historic buildings being demolished to make room for new houses and give any experiences of this. They don't care what your opinion is, they just want to see how you structure your answer. I just made some rubbish up for both of these tasks. Throw in a couple of big words, get your punctuation and spelling correct and you'll have no problem.

I did my test on the 18/2/12 and managed to get 9's in all sections and i would not say that i am inteligent (after all i am an electrician) . The last time i did any English tests,i was at school, which was 18 years ago. Even my wife was shocked at my results!

I hope i have not offeneded anybody by saying it's not too hard. I am just trying to put anybody who is about to take the test at ease. If i had read this before my test then i would not have worried as much about it and got myself worked up.

So as i said, don't get too stressed, if you go into the exam and are nervous then this will effect you. Good luck to all.

Archived