Advice wanted on World of Warcraft subscription please

NowPerth

Are their any gamers out their who could offer some advice please. :notworthy:

In the UK my son had a World of Warcraft subscription that lapsed before we moved. Now we would like a new subscription from Oz. He isn't bothered about keeping his old characters. Is it best to renew the old account and pay from uk account or to start a new one from here? Will his uk disks work with an Oz account? Is there such a thing as an Oz account? I tried looking on WoW forums and they seemed to suggest we'd have to have an American account as they don't have an Oz server. Any advice would be very much appreciated as it really isn't my area of expertise and I didn't even set up the uk one. I don't know if this is relevant, but apparently we have the expansion pack 'Cataclysm'.

Probably, if they have them. The forums seem to suggest that they don't have an Oz server so Oz accounts may use US servers by default. That's one of the things I'm not clear on. And if they do use US ones, is there any advantage over just using the uk one? It's all a bit blurry :confused:

I usually stick to helping people with partner visa queries but now I've truly found my calling! My fiance and I both had WoW accounts on the EU server when we lived in the UK. There is no Australian server as such, but there are some Australian (Oceanic) realms on the US server, which is where most Aussies would play. We now both have an account on one of the Oceanic realms, it's not exclusive but it means most of the players are in a similar timezone to you with the majority we mix with from Aus and a few from NZ, south east Asia and the US.

It's a good thing he's not worried about keeping his characters as there is no facility to transfer them between EU and US servers unfortunately. My old EU characters sit gathering dust, although my OH still plays his sometimes as he's still looking for work and has the time. It's worth noting that you'll experience more latency playing on the EU server from Australia so it won't be quite as enjoyable. I'd suggest doing what we did and starting up a new account on one of the Oceanic realms on the US server and starting from scratch (unfortunately). I don't think you can use the same disks, but at any rate he'd need a new game licence code so the best bet (what we did anyway) is to download it from an online store. We bought and downloaded direct from Blizzard, the game manufacturer. Or you can buy it from a store such as Game, EB Games etc.

PS. Cataclysm is the latest expansion of the game. If he starts a new account from scratch in Aus he doesn't need to get the full version to begin with, although I'd imagine he'll want it in order to experience the full game.

Archived