Thomas Cook Cash Passport

mwgster

Hi

We are considering using a Cash Passport (from Thomas Cook) while on holiday in Oz.

It is like a credit card that you pre-load with cash.

You can then use it to withdraw cash from an ATM and wherever you see the MasterCard symbol. It also uses Chip & Pin..

Has anyone ever used one of these type of cards?

Is MasterCard widely available in Oz?

Many Thanks

Martin

Guest AKA63029

Hi Martin.

My daughter used one (Cash Passport) when in OZ and had no problems whatsoever, a very good idea I reckon.

Also Master card is accepted in many places in OZ, you shouldn't have any problems with either.

Cheers Tony.

Hi Tony

Many thanks for your response.... It does sound brilliant in theory.... I was just a little nervous as I have read on some other forums that MasterCard will charge a hidden fee of 15% on top of any transaction to cover people going into the red on their card? I haven't looked into this yet so I probably haven't read this right but some people say you can claim the money back on return to the UK?

I am glad to hear that it is widely accepted in Oz... And you can always use an ATM to withdraw cash (for a AU$3.50 charge)..

Thanks again,

Martin

Guest AKA63029

No worries Martin.

Not to sure about the percentage rate on Master card, maybe someone with a bit more experience of this will be able to tell us.

Cheers Tony.

We use ours all the time our parents put cash on it for birthdays Xmas etc. you get the rate at the time the money is put on in the uk and the card is in aus $ only. The only charge is 3$ if you draw cash other than that it works a treat.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...
We use ours all the time our parents put cash on it for birthdays Xmas etc. you get the rate at the time the money is put on in the uk and the card is in aus $ only. The only charge is 3$ if you draw cash other than that it works a treat.

An old thread I know, but what do you press when using the card, eg. Cheque, savings etc?

My understanding with these types of cards is that they charge you a fee for loading funds on the card maybe up to 3% or so, so I would check that.

Also if you use a currency other than that loaded on the card you can get slugged conversion fees.

I think if it was me i'd use a credit card that has no fees at all for international transactions such as the 28 Degrees Mastercard.

I would check out all the applicable fees for use of the card and compare it to other options such as using a fee free credit card.

My understanding with these types of cards is that they charge you a fee for loading funds on the card maybe up to 3% or so, so I would check that.

Also if you use a currency other than that loaded on the card you can get slugged conversion fees.

I think if it was me i'd use a credit card that has no fees at all for international transactions such as the 28 Degrees Mastercard.

I would check out all the applicable fees for use of the card and compare it to other options such as using a fee free credit card.

We have one already, just haven't touched the funds. Now looking to empty it. I recall the rate not being the best, but we got it initially when my OH came over for a bit on his own. I loaded it when needed from the UK

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

There's no fee go to Thomas cook and ask for a VIP card at the exchange. This will always ensure you get the rate that is more than advertised. Card works a treat. Only charges are when you withdraw cash. When you charge it they tell you how much in $ you get.

So if you look at the Australian cash card fees it's about the same as what has been said already. For us it works a treat as a way for receiving money from the parents for gifts etc. our parents have just been out again and he had all his spending money on his card and it worked.

Considering you can pay for nearly everything by card over here personally it's ideal. I have not had cash in my wallet since I moved here 16 months ago as I use eftpos all the time with my normal bank account. The cash passport works the same.

Archived