Permanent v temporary visa

racht

Please help. My husband and I are starting plans to emigrate. A migration company has advised us we have 130 points for perm visa and so we intended to apply, however, when my husband enquired about jobs it would seem companies are offering 4 year temp visa (he's in IT). Would anyone recommend we do this?

Do the temp visas take as long to apply for as permanent ones or are they immediate?

I would welcome all advice. Thanks :smile:

Guest billy braveheart

Hi Racht

We are on a 457 sponsor visa (brickie). But if you are eligable for a perm visa I would go with that then you have no restrictions in work etc. Temp visas are normally quicker but have to them apply for perm whilst there. Longer process for perm but worth it.

Good Luck

Janette

I recomend you go for a permenant visa yes it may take longer but

If you go on a temp visa you could be tyde to that employer

they could be a very employer heaven:biglaugh:

or

they could be an employer from hell ! :cry:

In the U.K i had the misfortune of working for an employer from hell

it was difficult enough in my own country but in another it is very risky.

Guest Impatient

The employers are only able to offer support to a certain level, most people only go for sponsorship if they cannot make 120 points without it. With 130 (v high, but possible) you are laughing and are better off applying for a Perm visa (prob 175) and then working for who you choose, not being tied to an area or employer.

Guest moreteavicar

Hi Racht

I'd go for permanent every time, but it depends on your circumstances really.

If you have school age children I'd go for permanent visa otherwise you'll be forking out loads of cash for school fees - if you're temp visa you cannot get free schooling at all (not counting books uniforms etc, these will be paid for anyway).

If you're a couple and desperate to get over there quickly, go for a temp visa but bear in mind you'll need to do all the paperwork over in Oz if you then decide to stay - difficult enough to do here when everything is to hand and in the same time zone!

We are currently in the final stages of an Employer Nomination visa which was originally offered on temp visa, but we decided to take the longer option of a permanent one. This was because we wanted everything settled and decided before we went rather than worry about it later, and we do have 2 kids to consider. The waiting is driving us nuts, but hopefully will be worth it. I'd rather be refused here than get to Melbourne, absolutely adore it and then get refused!

All I can say is make sure you do loads of research according to your circumstances before you make a definate decision and check out the application forms to fill in yourself before considering an agent. Although many agents will give free advice and not pressure you into anything. We asked Concept Australia loads of stuff -excellent advice - but decided to complete all the forms ourselves in the end. But if you do decide to use one, make sure you shop around for quotes as they can vary, and ensure they are Mara registered - don't pay up-front before they do anything for you.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do. Everyone on PIO can help if you get stuck with anything - we've had some excellent advice from people here that you can't get from books or websites.

Archived