Anyone sitting the dreaded IELTS tomorrow

lauracoldwell

Just thought that I would post to say good luck to all sitting the exam tomorrow and, to those who are due their results soon:biggrin:. Hope you are all prepared and not to scared, saying that I want to cry:arghh:, I am terrified of exams. Hopefully a bottle of red tonight will help calm my nerves.

Anyway, better get off PIO and stop using it as a distraction technique.

Xx

Just thought that I would post to say good luck to all sitting the exam tomorrow and, to those who are due their results soon:biggrin:. Hope you are all prepared and not to scared, saying that I want to cry:arghh:, I am terrified of exams. Hopefully a bottle of red tonight will help calm my nerves.

Xx

I would perhaps hold back on the bottle of red until tomorrow night after the exam as waking up feeling slightly fragile and dehydrated is not going to do you much good for the exam. Not to get all scientific on you but dehydration reduces fluid levels in your body and fluid loss exceeding 3-5% bodyweight reduces performance noticeably and impairs reaction time, judgement, concentration and decision making! :wink:

David

I would perhaps hold back on the bottle of red until tomorrow night after the exam as waking up feeling slightly fragile and dehydrated is not going to do you much good for the exam. Not to get all scientific on you but dehydration reduces fluid levels in your body and fluid loss exceeding 3-5% bodyweight reduces performance noticeably and impairs reaction time, judgement, concentration and decision making! :wink:

David

Ha ha thanks David, I will try and remember that tonight! I see you have done your's, how was it? I need all 8's argh xx

Ha ha thanks David, I will try and remember that tonight! I see you have done your's, how was it? I need all 8's argh xx

It is fine.. Try not to get too nervous and don't panic during the exam. You are a native English speaker so it shouldnt be a problem, especially if you have been revising for it. In the writing section you are given 2 sections, 1 to write a letter to someone on a given subject/scenario and the second section being writing about a given subject. I found it better to go straight to the second section and do that part first.. That's the longer section of the 2 and the main points scorer.. Once you do that then jump to section 1 and do the letter. In my personal experience that was easiest.

You should blitz the listening part and the speaking part no problem. Just read over all your answer on the reading part once you are finished as sometimes the questions can be worded in a certain way where it can catch you out.

As I say though.. You are a native English speaker so should do just fine. It was mostly all foreigners at my exam!

David

Xx

Good luck!!

I agree about the wine though...imagine how much better it'll taste knowing you've got the exam done and you can relax for a few weeks :cute:

My first go at the test was in January, and I got: L9, R8.5, W7.5, S9. So I had to take it again on 18 Feb (waiting for the results, will get them on 2 March). The writing was the hardest part for me, but I've noticed from other posts that the Reading can also throw people off. For the writing, another poster on the expatforum gave me this link, and it was really helpful re: how to structure your essay (she got a 9 in the Writing) - this guide wasn't specifically written for the IELTS, was written for a diff. academic test, the AWA, but the essay structure tips are exactly what's needed for IELTS:

How to get 6.0 AWA....my guide : Analytical Writing

Assessment (AWA)

One thing re: the writing... two tasks, the first one is a letter. Some tips:

- Determine whether it is a FORMAL, SEMI-FORMAL, or INFORMAL letter. Use appropriate openings and closings accordingly:

If FORMAL (e.g to a business): Opening: Dear Sir or Dear Madam or Dear Sir/Madam

Closing: Yours faithfully

If SEMI-FORMAL (e.g. to a landlord): Opening: Dear Mr. Jones or Dear Mrs. Jones

Closing: Yours sincerely

If INFORMAL (e.g. to a friend or colleague): Opening: Dear Julia

Closing: Best wishes

Only take 15-20 minutes to complete the letter. Be sure to answer ALL parts of the letter topic (re-read the instructions several times while you're writing). And make sure it is 150 words or more.

For the essay, some tips:

- Determine whether the topic is a DISCUSSION topic or an OPINION topic. If it asks you things like "what do you think... ", then it is an opinion essay. If it asks you to just compare two ideas, and doesn't specifically ask you what YOU think, then it is a discussion topic and you should NOT assert your opinion.

- Spend about 5-10 minutes on the introduction. Paraphrase the topic, introduce what you will be discussing/comparing. If an opinion essay, state your opinion.

- Spend about 15 minutes on the next 2-3 paragraphs. Use connectives like "Firstly... ", "Secondly..." or "On one hand..." "On the other hand...", etc.

- Spend about 5-10 minutes on the conclusion. Use connective like "In conclusion..." to lead it off. Summarize the points, and re-assert your opinion.

Make sure it has at least 250 words or MORE.

Anyway - that kind of summarizes what I've learned from studying. I really struggled with the essay, getting it done in time, getting a good introduction (if you can nail the intro, I think that's the key - need to nail it in 5-10 minutes, and then the rest of the essay will flow easier).

I've signed up for another IELTS on 10 March just in case the one I took last week didn't "make the grade". I've been practicing my essay writing, the intros seem to be hardest for me...

My first go at the test was in January, and I got: L9, R8.5, W7.5, S9. So I had to take it again on 18 Feb (waiting for the results, will get them on 2 March). The writing was the hardest part for me, but I've noticed from other posts that the Reading can also throw people off. For the writing, another poster on the expatforum gave me this link, and it was really helpful re: how to structure your essay (she got a 9 in the Writing) - this guide wasn't specifically written for the IELTS, was written for a diff. academic test, the AWA, but the essay structure tips are exactly what's needed for IELTS:

How to get 6.0 AWA....my guide : Analytical Writing

Assessment (AWA)

One thing re: the writing... two tasks, the first one is a letter. Some tips:

- Determine whether it is a FORMAL, SEMI-FORMAL, or INFORMAL letter. Use appropriate openings and closings accordingly:

If FORMAL (e.g to a business): Opening: Dear Sir or Dear Madam or Dear Sir/Madam

Closing: Yours faithfully

If SEMI-FORMAL (e.g. to a landlord): Opening: Dear Mr. Jones or Dear Mrs. Jones

Closing: Yours sincerely

If INFORMAL (e.g. to a friend or colleague): Opening: Dear Julia

Closing: Best wishes

Only take 15-20 minutes to complete the letter. Be sure to answer ALL parts of the letter topic (re-read the instructions several times while you're writing). And make sure it is 150 words or more.

For the essay, some tips:

- Determine whether the topic is a DISCUSSION topic or an OPINION topic. If it asks you things like "what do you think... ", then it is an opinion essay. If it asks you to just compare two ideas, and doesn't specifically ask you what YOU think, then it is a discussion topic and you should NOT assert your opinion.

- Spend about 5-10 minutes on the introduction. Paraphrase the topic, introduce what you will be discussing/comparing. If an opinion essay, state your opinion.

- Spend about 15 minutes on the next 2-3 paragraphs. Use connectives like "Firstly... ", "Secondly..." or "On one hand..." "On the other hand...", etc.

- Spend about 5-10 minutes on the conclusion. Use connective like "In conclusion..." to lead it off. Summarize the points, and re-assert your opinion.

Make sure it has at least 250 words or MORE.

Anyway - that kind of summarizes what I've learned from studying. I really struggled with the essay, getting it done in time, getting a good introduction (if you can nail the intro, I think that's the key - need to nail it in 5-10 minutes, and then the rest of the essay will flow easier).

I've signed up for another IELTS on 10 March just in case the one I took last week didn't "make the grade". I've been practicing my essay writing, the intros seem to be hardest for me...

Thanks MBC71,

Thats helpful, I think it depends on what you get on the day RE: Questions. Good luck for your results xx

Guest chris c

Good luck Laura and everyone else waiting on results or sitting very soon. I am sitting my 3rd Academic IELTS on 30th March, failing by 0.5 in the reading section on both previous occasions, which is so annoying, not least of all because I didn't need to sit the damn thing in the first place! So much riding on this next attempt!!!!!!!!

Good luck Laura and everyone else waiting on results or sitting very soon. I am sitting my 3rd Academic IELTS on 30th March, failing by 0.5 in the reading section on both previous occasions, which is so annoying, not least of all because I didn't need to sit the damn thing in the first place! So much riding on this next attempt!!!!!!!!

I thought it would be the writing that would catch me out, im now thinking its going to be the reading. I am revised out, i think it depends on the questions and text you get on the day aswell. Sorry you missed out by 0.5 on both Chris, it will all be worth it in the end though. xx

This exam is murder, by the time it got to the writing part my brain did not want to work, the reading is much harder than the practice ones too. Boo hoo i hope I passed it, i really do. I dont ever want to do that exam EVER again xxx

:arghh:really panicking right now....

It is not nice. How do you feel you have done?

Greggers, It was AWFUL. The listening was so difficult in that massive room and i got lost and missed like 2 questions. I finished the reading with 30 seconds to spare, the writing was OK and the speaking was just wierd and I didnt know much about the topic that the dude gave me to talk about. Man, i hope i get at least 7's so i can get my skills assessment started and then at least I can re-sit for 8's but i doubt i even got 7's. What made it worse was that the manager of the day, on my way out said "what do you need to get" and I said 8's and he said "ooo thats a VERY high standard" he emphasized on the VERY and everything. eeeshh disaster, Pass me the gin, no not the glass the big Litre bottle!! xxx

Greggers, It was AWFUL. The listening was so difficult in that massive room and i got lost and missed like 2 questions. I finished the reading with 30 seconds to spare, the writing was OK and the speaking was just wierd and I didnt know much about the topic that the dude gave me to talk about. Man, i hope i get at least 7's so i can get my skills assessment started and then at least I can re-sit for 8's but i doubt i even got 7's. What made it worse was that the manager of the day, on my way out said "what do you need to get" and I said 8's and he said "ooo thats a VERY high standard" he emphasized on the VERY and everything. eeeshh disaster, Pass me the gin, no not the glass the big Litre bottle!! xxx

Stay positive laura. I left thinking i had really messed up on the listening as i lost my way and just placed random words in, i ended up with an 8.5 score. The reading i new i had done well in as i felt confident, and i too only had a minute to spare. Now the writing was a different matter all together, i messed up with silly mistakes, this is the one i was worried about so struggled to stay calm and panicked a little. I still achieved a 7 so not bad really. The speaking, i thought was fairly straight forward, as long as you can waffle.

I was thinking about getting a tutor, however, I have decided to have one more try before looking at a tutor, as i am only 1 mark off achieving my required 8's.I think i know where i went wrong too. Adi72 has been kind enough to send me a book on IELTS writing, so i'm going to read that and see how i do.

Enjoy the gin LOL! and don't get drunk.

Stay positive laura. I left thinking i had really messed up on the listening as i lost my way and just placed random words in, i ended up with an 8.5 score. The reading i new i had done well in as i felt confident, and i too only had a minute to spare. Now the writing was a different matter all together, i messed up with silly mistakes, this is the one i was worried about so struggled to stay calm and panicked a little. I still achieved a 7 so not bad really. The speaking, i thought was fairly straight forward, as long as you can waffle.

I was thinking about getting a tutor, however, I have decided to have one more try before looking at a tutor, as i am only 1 mark off achieving my required 8's.I think i know where i went wrong too. Adi72 has been kind enough to send me a book on IELTS writing, so i'm going to read that and see how i do.

Enjoy the gin LOL! and don't get drunk.

Oh dear, 2 bottles of red wine later and I am on PIO, I think that may count as being a little drunk but not too much. My mum told me that I am obsessed with all things Australia, I cant help it though, I lOVE australia!!! At the end of the day the test can be retaken so its not that bad. I am hoping for 8's but all 7's will do me fine to get my skills assessed and then ill sit the general, and with the help of a tutor will aim for 8's. That listening is hard to get lost on though, isn't iT! i WAS SUrprised. Greggers, we will get there, i am sure of it just a little time and a little more practice. xxx

Archived