Mines Around Perth

Stevieb1483

hi i was wondering if someone could give me a list of the mines that are open an operating in Around the Perth area please. thankyou

hey stevie .....do u mean near the city or wa in general ? .....the nearest one to perth is boddington ...1.5 hrs south ......this is a bauxite mine [dont ask me what this is ...no idea lol] .....further afield there is hope downs ....cloudbreak .....western turner [where my oh is at the mo ] and countless others !!!

mrs keily

Boddington is a gold mine, owned by Newmont.

Down near Bunbury are mineral sand operations. In the Perth hills Alcoa mine bauxite on a fairly large scale. Then down in Collie you have coal mines and there is also a lithium mine at Greenbushes. Apart from those you have to start looking further afield or at FIFO opportunities. It really depends on what commodity you're interested in and whether you want open pit or underground work.

Boddington is a gold mine, owned by Newmont.

Down near Bunbury are mineral sand operations. In the Perth hills Alcoa mine bauxite on a fairly large scale. Then down in Collie you have coal mines and there is also a lithium mine at Greenbushes. Apart from those you have to start looking further afield or at FIFO opportunities. It really depends on what commodity you're interested in and whether you want open pit or underground work.

is there 2 mines at boddington then ? ....my o/h worked there and it was defo bauxite :)

mrs keily

According to the Boddington town website there is Bauxite mining but it is known as Worsley Bauxite Mine. If you talk to anyone in the industry about Boddington mine they usually assume you're talking about the gold mine owned by Newmont, which is called Boddington Gold Mine. It is huge even by Australian standards, with around 20 million ounces remaining. Just as an example the gold mine where I work has 1 million ounces remaining, and our is a medium sized underground mine.

According to the Boddington town website there is Bauxite mining but it is known as Worsley Bauxite Mine. If you talk to anyone in the industry about Boddington mine they usually assume you're talking about the gold mine owned by Newmont, which is called Boddington Gold Mine. It is huge even by Australian standards, with around 20 million ounces remaining. Just as an example the gold mine where I work has 1 million ounces remaining, and our is a medium sized underground mine.

ah well ..seems we were both right .....thought i was losing it there lol :)

mrs keily

Either way, if you are thinking of living in Perth itself, you arent likely to be working at a mine. Even Boddington is too far out to be practical. In fact i believe Newmont insist on staff living in the local area

Not strictly true. Most of the remote mine sites operate on a FIFO basis (Fly-in-fly-out) from Perth, so actually there are more jobs around for miners on FIFO rosters.

Archived