Holiday Money

JaseandAnne

Hi everyone,

We are off to Perth from the UK for a month to validate our visas at the end of March. Obviously we have got spending money to take which is more than I want to carry around and stick under the matress!!! So, what is the best way to get my money to OZ without having to pay loads of fees? Travellers cheques? Should I open a bank account here in the UK with a bank that has branches in OZ like HSBC? do they still charge for taking your money out from the same bank but in a diffrent country?

Any ideas will be greatly received?

Jase

I would check if you could get a travel card from a UK bank like the anz one - http://anz.com.au/personal/travel-foreign-exchange/travel-money/travel-card/

You get better rates using a UK credit card and getting cash out on a UK debit card abroad than on the ANZ travel cards. Last time we travelled to a non-australian or UK country, it ended up being cheaper to transfer money to my UK account from Australia and using the UK cards.

Moneycorp usually have pretty good deals for transferring money though, so that moneycorpcard sounds like it might be a good idea.

When comparing rates etc, don't forget to take the exchange rate into account. many places don't charge a flat fee, but hide it in a really unfavourable exchange rate.

Check with your UK bank what they charge first, as some are pretty good. We are with Nationwide and their charges are nil for credit card purchases and low for debit card cash withdrawals, the exchange rate is always good too. We also have a caxton card which is also good for overseas money you pre-load it and can use it as a debit card and in cash points with no extra charge- just google it. Travellers cheques just seem so old fashioned now. I would rather get my cash from a cashpoint!

Archived