School fees for 457 visa holders

AaronS

Ask them to sponsor you for PR up front....I believe it's a 121.

Arron the job I am going for is to do with railways. It's never been on the skilled list. This is the first year that the company has had to go through the Government to get authority to sponsor this type of job on a 457. All I can do is ask at the time but do you think that a 121 could be issued over or with a 457?

Call me hippy but the feelings I am getting, the luck that this has come when I have only 7 months to get in at 44 before I hit my 45th is just too good to be true. My wife and I are 100% up for it having the knock back since 2008. It has just come as a big surprise this past month.

I don't want to pack in what has taken me 26 years to build just for 4 years and to go straight back to square one at my age if you know what I mean. If we are out there then it is for good.

As Aaron says, you are best speaking to a migration agent. There is a list of jobs, which is more general than the SOL, which are employer sponsored jobs. In other words, if an employer can demonstrate certain things (turnover, training, employing Australians) and can show that your particular job can only be done by you, then you can use an employer sponsored visa. This includes the 457 (which is temporary for four years, although I think that you can run them back to back), the 121/856ENS which are effectively the permanent version. The 121 is offshore, so it has to be applied for whilst you are overseas (I am not sure if you can enter Aus once applied for and then leave just to validate, whilst on a 457), or the 856 which is the onshore version, which means it can be applied for in Australia whilst you are on another temporary visa.

It might be worth your while just checking a few things out before you speak to the employer, so that you can speak to them with all of the information at hand.

@MACDONALDO67

the 457 has a bigger list of occupations than the 856/121.

Pretty sure only ENSOL occupations can get the 856/121.

Depending where you're headed, there's also the RSMS (employer sponsored in regional areas - Adelaide and Perth count, Sydney, Melbourne and a few other cities don't), which just needs a "skilled" job (think it's "requires qualifications of at least australian diploma level"), there's no list of occupations.

It's fine to have more than one application going at a time. Any visa granted will replace the one you're currently on (I think).

I would definitely talk to an agent, since time is of the essence for the PR visas.

Again, then what are my taxes paying for?

Your statement about extra taxes a child pays in the future being for their education now is rubbish, btw. Taxes being paid now pay for their education.

In an ideal world (one in which governments didn't have debts) then yes, taxes paid this year would pay for this year's expenditure. While Australia's financial management has been better than most countries unfortunately it's still the case that much of the taxes being paid now are to pay for expenditure in the past. So as to what your taxes are paying for - how about interest on the Australian national debt?

In an ideal world (one in which governments didn't have debts) then yes, taxes paid this year would pay for this year's expenditure. While Australia's financial management has been better than most countries unfortunately it's still the case that much of the taxes being paid now are to pay for expenditure in the past. So as to what your taxes are paying for - how about interest on the Australian national debt?

Come off it Ken, this is silly. Yes, a portion of tax goes on interest payments (but not much of it here). And a portion of it goes on education NOW. I don't see how you can possibly claim it doesn't

Come off it Ken, this is silly. Yes, a portion of tax goes on interest payments (but not much of it here). And a portion of it goes on education NOW. I don't see how you can possibly claim it doesn't

I just ignored his last comment. It was completely ridiculous and not worth responding to. Of course taxes paid now go to pay for schooling now. He's just being stubborn. Maybe he likes picking on immigrants or something.

I just ignored his last comment. It was completely ridiculous and not worth responding to. Of course taxes paid now go to pay for schooling now. He's just being stubborn. Maybe he likes picking on immigrants or something.

Actually I never said I agreed with NSW and ACT just explaining their policy for those who can't grasp it. Incidentally their policy doesn't apply to immigrants but only to temporary residents so you can't claim they (or I for that matter) are picking on immigrants. You can (and many people already have) claim they are picking on visitors.

Actually I never said I agreed with NSW and ACT just explaining their policy for those who can't grasp it. Incidentally their policy doesn't apply to immigrants but only to temporary residents so you can't claim they (or I for that matter) are picking on immigrants. You can (and many people already have) claim they are picking on visitors.

I grasp it completely...that's why I'm bitching about it. Enjoy your time here when you make it over.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest kianobeano

Hi can I ask 2 things plz ....

1. is there a fee in QLD for schools if u go on a 457 ? I can see you have said for ACT & NSW but i have seen conflicting evidence for QLD.

2. i NEVER HEARD OF A 121 till i read this thread, (agent is brutal) but is it poss if a 457 is offered that we could request a 121 (chef) is it more hassle or cost to employer ?

Thanks so much

jen

My personal opinion; you do as much research as you possibly can. Coming to live here is your personal choice - if you don't like what the country offers you then simply get out.....

May read harsh but it is each persons choice to be here. I have chosen to send my children to private school - it costs - end of.....the cost is far cheaper than private education in the UK (something which I would never ever have even considered)

Guest haunted1234
Hi can I ask 2 things plz ....

1. is there a fee in QLD for schools if u go on a 457 ? I can see you have said for ACT & NSW but i have seen conflicting evidence for QLD.

2. i NEVER HEARD OF A 121 till i read this thread, (agent is brutal) but is it poss if a 457 is offered that we could request a 121 (chef) is it more hassle or cost to employer ?

Thanks so much

jen

no fees for QLD state school...you get the odd fee for use of text books, think we paid $200 for our year 7 and $90 for the year 6....you can pay a voluntary contribultion...but it's just that....voluntary :o) you do have to buy all exercise books etc which can mount up a bit :o)

Guest kianobeano

If your post was in response to mine i was just looking for 2 pices of info peeka, is this not what the forum is about ?

........glad you said yourself your post was a bit harsh , and may i add nothing to do with what i asked.

My personal opinion; you do as much research as you possibly can. Coming to live here is your personal choice - if you don't like what the country offers you then simply get out.....

May read harsh but it is each persons choice to be here. I have chosen to send my children to private school - it costs - end of.....the cost is far cheaper than private education in the UK (something which I would never ever have even considered)

• 3 months later...
Guest Klausi
Can understand why the government is not prepared to invest if they are leaving, but not everyone has had time to look into these extra costs before they come. I don't have kids but will be hopefully having them in the future. Have far too much on my plate looking at possible costs of kids I might not have.

Bit harsh saying you shouldn't complain about an extra cost which you didn't budget for. If it wasn't for this site I wouldn't have know about extra costs for different visas. Cheers to all who post decent info.

Well, the taxes do pay for teachers' salaries, ect, don't they? So 457 visa holders are essentially charged twice.

With the above logic, if the government does not want to invest into a child which leaves, shouldn't I then get a tax discount for my PhD, for which the Australian government did not have to pat?

Archived