How did you do it?

tasormelb

Hi. We are a familiy of 4 moving to Victoria around July. Like a lot of people, because of the economy we are renting out our house and going with limited funds (Approx £32,000 which needs to pay for everything including flights, shipping dog and furniture etc).

Now I accept that one of us needs to be working within weeks of landing and hope the other can get something quickly as we don't have enough money to keep ourselves for months. I am a nurse, oh works in a warehouse and will take whatever job he can get initially. I will try and get job sorted from UK.

I have allowed for approx £3000 to pay for short term furnished accomodation when we land and hope to sort out rental in this period, but would like to find a cheaper way of doing this. Options I can think of are:

1. I come over before others, sort out job if haven't been able to do so in Uk, stay somewhere fairly cheap whilst arranging a rental that others can move straight into. Pros:- Will be the most peace I have had in 16yrs! Cons: Will miss the kids like mad.

2. Oh comes out way before us and tries to get job (could be wrong but I think it will take him longer than me). Pros will be certain before we follow we will both have job before I give up home and job here. Cons: don't think we can rely on him to get a rental we approve of - his main motivation will be how big the garage is!

Can you think of any other options? How did you coordinate the move across?

What options are there for cheapish places to stay in the Western suburbs for a single adult?

Thanks

Do you have a visa in place? Who is the main applicant? I ask because I don't think the partner/OH of the main applicant can go out before the main applicant.

I too would be interested in any advice others can give for your predicament. :)

Good luck with your plans tasormelb

For short term accommodation, might get a bit creative. Of course, check local hotels, see if any are offering a decent weekly rate. Call around the caravan parks, they often have 2 bedroom units at a decent weekly rate (we couldn't get one, but we came at the peak school holiday season).

Also, before you ship over furniture, sit down and see if it's really worth it. Maybe if your stuff is brand-new...but if it's 5+ years old, how much would it cost to just buy 5+ year old furniture when you arrive here? Just a thought.

We too are a family of four. Arrived in Melbourne (now in Ballarat) with three checked bags (one was carry-on size), two car seats, a stroller/pram, and our carry-ons. Bought most furnishings off gumtree or free from freecycle. Brought durable dishware (Corelle), bought glasses at Reject Shop. Etc.

We arrived in Oz with $16,000 in our bank account. The cost of flights and motel bookings would push that to about $21,000. We found a place to rent on week 2 (right after we paid for another week in a motel). Bought an older car. Now have a motor scooter too. Bought year passes to the Wildlife Park and Sovereign Hill. Paid school fees for son (daughter's not school-age yet). Have just over $2,000 left in our Oz bank account (barely...I expect after today's round of shopping it'll dip below). Been here about a month and a half. I'd be getting a little bit worried, but we have money back in our US account that could be tapped. And my wife starts her job (she's also a nurse) first of March.

So, that's how WE did it. Many probably suggest to bring more money than we did. We try to keep spending low on things that don't matter as much, so we can afford the things that really do matter to us (like, I dunno, moving halfway across the world to live in Australia!!).

Hi. We are a familiy of 4 moving to Victoria around July. Like a lot of people, because of the economy we are renting out our house and going with limited funds (Approx £32,000 which needs to pay for everything including flights, shipping dog and furniture etc).

Now I accept that one of us needs to be working within weeks of landing and hope the other can get something quickly as we don't have enough money to keep ourselves for months. I am a nurse, oh works in a warehouse and will take whatever job he can get initially. I will try and get job sorted from UK.

I have allowed for approx £3000 to pay for short term furnished accomodation when we land and hope to sort out rental in this period, but would like to find a cheaper way of doing this. Options I can think of are:

1. I come over before others, sort out job if haven't been able to do so in Uk, stay somewhere fairly cheap whilst arranging a rental that others can move straight into. Pros:- Will be the most peace I have had in 16yrs! Cons: Will miss the kids like mad.

2. Oh comes out way before us and tries to get job (could be wrong but I think it will take him longer than me). Pros will be certain before we follow we will both have job before I give up home and job here. Cons: don't think we can rely on him to get a rental we approve of - his main motivation will be how big the garage is!

Can you think of any other options? How did you coordinate the move across?

What options are there for cheapish places to stay in the Western suburbs for a single adult?

Thanks

I can't help out with any cheap accommodation ideas for the Western Suburbs but I do have an opinion on who should come out first to find a job (assuming you are the main applicant since you are a nurse). You will definitely have a much easier time finding work and in fact I would think should have a good chance of finding a job before you even leave the UK. Have you tried the nursing recruitment agencies?

We are a family of 5 and moved to ballarat on the 5th jan we luckily managed to secure a rental from the uk so only stayed in a hotel for 2 nights, we have however shipped our furniture which we are not expecting till April, but like you arrived with just enough $ to see us through to husbands 1st pay day which was really tough !!!!! We have bought basics and beds for kids as we didn't ship those

how do you like Ballarat ? And what area are you in ? We really like it so far kids have settled really well in school we are in ballarat central

We have rented our uk house and with the few $ we brought manged to buy beds bedding bar stools futon / sofa basic kitchen equipment BBQ we also manged to buy a car in our 3 week with no deposit.

It has been really tough but defiantly worth it so far

Just so happens that January 5th was our first day in Ballarat as well.

We're in Ballarat East, walking distance of the Wildlife Park.

I don't know how the schools here relate to elsewhere in the area...but compared to back home they seem wonderful. Our son really loves going to school here.

So far we really like Ballarat. Not too big, not too small.

Thanks for all your replies. It is helpful to read your stories.

GilreanH - We have PR visa's (I was the original applicant). We have already validated and I understand that once they are in your passport we can come and go in Oz in any order whilst they are valid (I hope I understand this correctly).

Josetann - It is encouraging to hear your story. I think I panicked at the weekend when I sat and made a full list of outgoings involved in moving. I keep getting these moments where I wonder if we are insane and if this move is worth all the stress and hard work. I must stay focused and chill out a bit!

Melbournegirlinny- I have registered with one agency and am waiting to see if they can muster up a job before I apply with others. I have also made some contacts

with Barwon Health and have been invitied to attend the skills migration evening at Australia House next week so fingers crossed.

I wish you all well with your future plans.

Hi Tasormelb,

I was looking through the job section on the board and noticed there were a couple of requests for nurses. (need to scan through each page lots of them they go back months) As I am not a nurse I cannot remember the full details. They were requests from a while back, asking urgently for nursing staff, so maybe you could contact them and they might be able to help you. Also we have found there are some agencies in oz that have sister agencies in london(not sure where you are from) so at least they could interview you there. Just a few ideas as I know how hard this process is.

Thanks

Floball67

GilreanH - We have PR visa's (I was the original applicant). We have already validated and I understand that once they are in your passport we can come and go in Oz in any order whilst they are valid (I hope I understand this correctly).

Josetann - It is encouraging to hear your story. I think I panicked at the weekend when I sat and made a full list of outgoings involved in moving. I keep getting these moments where I wonder if we are insane and if this move is worth all the stress and hard work. I must stay focused and chill out a bit!

Melbournegirlinny- I have registered with one agency and am waiting to see if they can muster up a job before I apply with others. I have also made some contacts

with Barwon Health and have been invitied to attend the skills migration evening at Australia House next week so fingers crossed.

tasormelb, absolutely, I forgot the validation bit :)

Yes you can come and go as you like if you have your PR visa.

Archived