Electrician TRA & Licensing

Guest NeilanGemz

Guest NeilanGemz

Hi Guys

I've posted on some other peoples threads on this but not really got any answers so I thought I'd start my own thread.

I have my perm res visa (and OHS white card) but I need to sort out my electrical license BEFORE i get to Oz ideally.

I've just got back from a reccie visit and we're heading back out in a few months.

I did the Vetassess route abd I know I now have to apply to TRA for a ARTC but I haven't got a clue what I need to do after that.

Has anybody been through this already that can point me in the right direction?

Cheers Guys

As Far as i am aware you cannot apply for your license until you have an australian address. From what i have read some ppl think getting an artc from the tra means they do not have to do gap training in oz?? Only the course at college.And it seems to vary from state to state. Your vetassess cert will give you a restricted license if you apply to energy safe when you arrive. I would be interested to find out for definate myself as i am hoping to head to Perth later this year.

Guest jscott1922

hi neil'im based on the wirral to.would be interested in having a chat as were looking to go out to perth to.let me know if youd like a chat,to much info hard to take in. j scott

Guest garyheidi7
Hi Guys

I've posted on some other peoples threads on this but not really got any answers so I thought I'd start my own thread.

I have my perm res visa (and OHS white card) but I need to sort out my electrical license BEFORE i get to Oz ideally.

I've just got back from a reccie visit and we're heading back out in a few months.

I did the Vetassess route abd I know I now have to apply to TRA for a ARTC but I haven't got a clue what I need to do after that.

Cheers Guys

could you tell where about in Oz are you hoping to settle??

Guest rrwilky

We have the exact same issue. Still waiting for our visa but are hoping to get Artc before arrival. We have an Australian address we could use so would this be ok or do we actually have to be 'onshore'. There is so much information on this it is hard to know the correct route to follow. We were thinking of phoning a college which we have heard run the course in Perth, apparently they are really helpful, but anyone with first hand info who could help us would be a bonus.

Cheers

Guest NeilanGemz
We have the exact same issue. Still waiting for our visa but are hoping to get Artc before arrival. We have an Australian address we could use so would this be ok or do we actually have to be 'onshore'. There is so much information on this it is hard to know the correct route to follow. We were thinking of phoning a college which we have heard run the course in Perth, apparently they are really helpful, but anyone with first hand info who could help us would be a bonus.

Cheers

Hi Mate

I know it really can be a nightmare as I'm finding out now. If I'm right I've read that the vetassess doesn't count for anything in Australia, you have to apply to TRA for the ARTC, that said I haven't really got a clue which way to go about it. In SA I know you can get the ARTC and an A class license by doing the aussie wiring regs course and a couple of other small courses. You can then apply for the A class license straight away.

Only problem with us is we have been to SA when we were over last as we were originally heading there, and we really didn't take to it!!! :no: we absolutely loved Sydney though, such a cool place.

I've managed to get an OHS whitecard already as my cousin lives in north Sydney and all my post and everything goes to his for now. I suppose I could apply to TRA as I can use his address, I'm just wondering if there is any point as I don't even know if you can get an ARTC without the gap training, SOMEONE PLEASE HELP US ALL!!!!!!

:hug:

:hug:

Thanks

Neil

• 1 month later...

I have to apply for my license here in WA through energy safety, If you read my previous posts although I am an industrial maintenance electrician, I also carry out installation work but not domestic... My ARTC process has been a nightmare and is still ongoing. I have my electrical fitters ARTC to which I will be doing a one day course to gain my restricted license (fitting work only), I have been offered a job with this license in what I have been doing since I served my time 20 yrs ago. TRA will NOT issue an ARTC until you are in Oz. They require a copy of your stamped passport with date of entry.. Once you get your ARTC you can then apply to energy safety for your license. This application will take 4 weeks to process, because energy safety are apparently understaffed and overworked !! When you receive the letter from energy safety it will allow you to enrol on a course at your local tafe. This is a 2 week electrical trade licensing course (IEE regs course in UK). Depending on the availability of courses you could be waiting for a long time, I have made enquiries only last week and the next available course here in WA is the end of MAY !!! With this letter you receive from Energysafety you also get a 'permit to work' this allows you to work supervised until you get your license, you have 12 months to get your license sorted with this..that is how it is in WA, I have spoken with one of the top dogs at Energysafety and this has been explained to me in detail... I got fed up with being given conflicting advice from the administrators at these places and eventually got to speak with someone who actually knew what they were talking about, hope this helps...

Edited by woodymcfc

• 5 months later...
Guest fishraiser
I have to apply for my license here in WA through energy safety, If you read my previous posts although I am an industrial maintenance electrician, I also carry out installation work but not domestic... My ARTC process has been a nightmare and is still ongoing. I have my electrical fitters ARTC to which I will be doing a one day course to gain my restricted license (fitting work only), I have been offered a job with this license in what I have been doing since I served my time 20 yrs ago. TRA will NOT issue an ARTC until you are in Oz. They require a copy of your stamped passport with date of entry.. Once you get your ARTC you can then apply to energy safety for your license. This application will take 4 weeks to process, because energy safety are apparently understaffed and overworked !! When you receive the letter from energy safety it will allow you to enrol on a course at your local tafe. This is a 2 week electrical trade licensing course (IEE regs course in UK). Depending on the availability of courses you could be waiting for a long time, I have made enquiries only last week and the next available course here in WA is the end of MAY !!! With this letter you receive from Energysafety you also get a 'permit to work' this allows you to work supervised until you get your license, you have 12 months to get your license sorted with this..that is how it is in WA, I have spoken with one of the top dogs at Energysafety and this has been explained to me in detail... I got fed up with being given conflicting advice from the administrators at these places and eventually got to speak with someone who actually knew what they were talking about, hope this helps...

It's been very helpful, woody.

• 5 weeks later...
Guest Rimjim82
Try Nola.gov.au. for all the new changes to a licences in July this year

This is really interesting and plenty of information there. Do you know when they will make a decision on the licensing?

Dont think this info is up to date now, didn't the whole process change after 1st July??

Hi Guys

Cheers Guys

Hi

Could you please tell me how to go about getting the OHS white card?

This is all a minefield isn't it??!!

Thanks

Hi

Do you happen to know how much it cost's to do the course in electrical trade licensing in WA?