north coast New south wales

Maruska

Hi,

we might be going out on 176 visa and deciding where to settle. We looked at the north coast of NSW. I am an RN and it seems that there are a lot of hospitals advertising for nurses ( Coff`s harbour, Lismore, Ballina). Anyone lives there who can advise me on lifestyle, work, education ( my son is going to start kindergarten). We are not looking for a big place but there should be at least something happening around.:wink:

We are very much into outdoor activities and I saw a lot of info about the area which looks great.

Our option number 2 is Queensland

looking into Sunshine coast, Caloundra

we might consider Brisbane too

I will be grateful for all advice.

• 4 weeks later...

We live the the Coffs Harbour area and I might be biased but it's really great - especially if you have kids.

Lots of beaches and outdoor space and the housing is coming down in price. NOt much in the way for employment for your OH but I see adverts for medical staff ALL the time.

Plenty of school both public and private - some with ggod reputations and others not so good.

Coffs Harbour and Ballina are very similar both with airports and regular flights to Sydney - lot of outdoor activites in both but s'pose depends on where you can get employment but there are worse areas to be in.

Hope this helps - let me know if you have any other questions :biggrin:

Shopping is OK but what you can't find in the shops you can order online.

Thank you for the reply! I looked at Kororo public school but it`s in an expensive area ( nice though). Would you know if they are routinely accepting kids from outside the catchment zone? Also, I was disappointed when I looked at the NAPLAN results of Casuarina school, the school web looked great......

Other than that it looks like a beautiful city.

I have 2 kids 4 years old and 18 months old.

Still waiting for my IELTS ( April) so it`s a long run but we are looking at Coff`s Harbour and somewhere on the Sunshine coast, we will go wherever the job is at the end:wink:. Interesting that there are not a lot of positions advertised in Coff`s Harbour :(, at least online, maybe it`s different applying from AUS ?

Interesting that there are not a lot of positions advertised in Coff`s Harbour :(, at least online, maybe it`s different applying from AUS ?

There's not a lot of positions advertised in Coff's Harbour because there's not a lot of work in Coffs Harbour.

It's a beautiful part of the country; gorgeous beaches, reasonably priced housing etc but it's equally famous for having high unemployment.

It's probably OK for you if you're a nurse - but for most working people it's not the best destination.

Well...it was 2.52 in the morning here when you posted. All local PIOers would have been tucked up in their little beds.:cute:

That`s the time difference between USA and AUS :laugh:. I wrote it up in the afternoon I think and I don`t blame anyone for sleeping at 2 AM:biglaugh:.

There's not a lot of positions advertised in Coff's Harbour because there's not a lot of work in Coffs Harbour.

It's a beautiful part of the country; gorgeous beaches, reasonably priced housing etc but it's equally famous for having high unemployment.

It's probably OK for you if you're a nurse - but for most working people it's not the best destination.

Are there the usual unemployment area problems like high crime ? Homeless people? Drugs? Gangs?:eek:

Archived