Help!! :)

Stevieb1483

Hi,

i was hoping someone might be able to give me some advice and information as to what im getting myself into. Im currently 28 years old construction worker (8 years exp in roads, drainage &machine operator) my girlfriend is 29 and has worked in retail as shop assistant in a lighting shop for 10 years. We are saving up to come to australia in May/june time for a working holiday before we decide to have children. i was wondering if there was much in the way of work for construction? and if my girlfriend would be able to get a job in either retail or cleaning? and would we be able to support ourselves on these incomes?

Or has anyone got any suggestions as to what i could do?

thanks so much in your time in reading this

steve

You'll probably get more assistance on a different forum - not everybody looks at every post.

Try the Backpacking/WHV forum on here.

Your best bet would probably be in regional areas, either in peak tourist season for retail/cleaning or for a specific construction project.

You should be able to pick up a job relatively easy if your background is construction. I'm not sure what major jobs are on in the way or roads but I know there is some major infrastructure works being done for mines i.e roads, drainage, earthworks etc. Especially in Western Australia. You will need to get your white card though. (Aussie equivalent to CSCS)

Thanks so much for all your input. It's been really informative and useful, it's put me a little more at ease. I've looked into changing plant operator tickets over and as I can understand there's a new law that's just been passed where by operators on plant need to be compitent but I'm emailing everyone I can for info on that.

Thank you all so much!!

Stevie B

Archived