Starting a new life in Aus, what to ship??

daveg1980

Really I thought tv's would be expensive.

I guess the other 'essential' is fridge freezer. Also looking at getting a crosstrainer to ship too!

hi daveg,

we are bringing everything-big fridge/freezer,washing machine,2 LCD TVs,beds,tools,dinning table..sofa,lots of toys,bouncy castle..only leaving kid`s beds as we don`t want them to sleep on air beds before our container arrives so we will treat them to new bedrooms! I compared prices on everything and as our stuff is only 1-2 years old and decent quality i calculated it would cost around $40000 to replace it all!and we can`t afford that

shipping 20ft container door to door is $5500 so def worth to ship (for us )

Wow 40,000 really??!!!

Shipping seems to be the way forward! I am looking to rent my flat furnished, so I am thinking about buying bits and pieces before heading out!

Thansk Katerina, where are you heading to? x

hi daveg,

we are bringing everything-big fridge/freezer,washing machine,2 LCD TVs,beds,tools,dinning table..sofa,lots of toys,bouncy castle..only leaving kid`s beds as we don`t want them to sleep on air beds before our container arrives so we will treat them to new bedrooms! I compared prices on everything and as our stuff is only 1-2 years old and decent quality i calculated it would cost around $40000 to replace it all!and we can`t afford that

shipping 20ft container door to door is $5500 so def worth to ship (for us )

We are not sure of what to ship..the wife wants to ship some expensive designer outdoor furniture, oak dinning table and small items such as toasters, kettles etc how do we go about getting a quote for these? we live in devon so a fair way from any large city/town.

does anybody have a really good competitive company that will quote for such a varied selection of items

OR

is there a cheaper way of doing it, ie a proportion of a container?

so we could take over our nice leather sofa and expensive dining table

any help please

thanks

steve

Wow 40,000 really??!!!

Shipping seems to be the way forward! I am looking to rent my flat furnished, so I am thinking about buying bits and pieces before heading out!

Thansk Katerina, where are you heading to? x

Hi daveg, we are heading to Gladstone(600km north of Brisbane )

We replaced all our cheap furniture in the last 2-3 years for some nice stuff and I am talking about lots tools and kitchen appliances too ,like breadmaker, grill, food processor .. Etc all that is much more expensive in Oz, and the idea of starting all overJ again with 4 suitcases and 2 small kids at our age:wideeyed:Is quite scary to us

Where you heading to?

We are not sure of what to ship..the wife wants to ship some expensive designer outdoor furniture, oak dinning table and small items such as toasters, kettles etc how do we go about getting a quote for these? we live in devon so a fair way from any large city/town.

does anybody have a really good competitive company that will quote for such a varied selection of items

OR

is there a cheaper way of doing it, ie a proportion of a container?

so we could take over our nice leather sofa and expensive dining table

any help please

thanks

steve

Hi Devon if you go to the shipping forum you will find lots of threads about shipping companies, you will have to contact few of them and ask them to come to your home to do a survey and based on the volume of your stuff they will give you a quote and will explain all the options

good luck

Hey,

Heading out to Sydney, I think the majorly expensive stuff we will buy beforehand, but i think amazon deliver to aus?

It is scary starting again!

I think I might spend some time compiling a list, the wife has already started i think. When are you headng across?

Dave x

We replaced all our cheap furniture in the last 2-3 years for some nice stuff and I am talking about lots tools and kitchen appliances too ,like breadmaker, grill, food processor .. Etc all that is much more expensive in Oz, and the idea of starting all overJ again with 4 suitcases and 2 small kids at our age:wideeyed:Is quite scary to us

Where you heading to?

Hey,

Heading out to Sydney, I think the majorly expensive stuff we will buy beforehand, but i think amazon deliver to aus?

It is scary starting again!

I think I might spend some time compiling a list, the wife has already started i think. When are you headng across?

Dave x

We are still waiting for our PR, shouldn't be too much longer( fingers crossed :))

have you got yours? Tha waiting is killing us..

if you buy new stuff just make sure you use it for a while and don't pack it into original boxes, you probably know this already anyway, friend of mine had to pay duty charges on a new Dyson Hoover , she left it in the original box and WITH the receipt( it was bought 3 months before shipping ..)

When I was comparing the prices I used Harvey Norman, Target and BIg W websites the most

hope that helps a bit:jimlad:

[Good idea- Dysons are $800 here ( soooo glad i have got my 2 Dysons on their way ) and my AEG washing machine !!!! they cost bloody bomb also i sent over loads of new bedding and so glad i did as that is also very expensive....

Where you heading to?

Hi Katerina- i live in Tannum( just outside Gladstone ) and have been here for 3 weeks.....if you need any help or advice please get in touch on here and private message me.....only too happy to help..x

Hi Katerina- i live in Tannum( just outside Gladstone ) and have been here for 3 weeks.....if you need any help or advice please get in touch on here and private message me.....only too happy to help..x

Hi millers :-) thank you for that offer, our PR was granted yesterday so my head is melting:biggrin:

how long did it take you to get rental? Any tips for house haunting ?

Thanks

Hi millers :-) thank you for that offer, our PR was granted yesterday so my head is melting:biggrin:

how long did it take you to get rental? Any tips for house haunting ?

Thanks

Yey- well done on the visa- all systems go now then ???lol

It s crazy here trying to secure a place to rent- but one tip for you......get written references in the UK from friends ( to say that you have a lovely clean house and that your houseproud etc..blah blah , get them to email them to you and then you have a copy and print loads off to bring with you...you will need 2 refs for each adult. If you are renting out your house in the UK get a letter from your rental agent to say that you have proof of some income from the UK and this is how much rent that you are getting etc.....and bring with you proof of your husbands income or yours if you have secured a job here ( so an offer letter from the company saying how much you/ hubby will be earning....) print of lots of them too ( about 10 ) and get a bank account set up in Australia as well....we set ours up in the UK with NAB in Gladstone and transferred money in to an account after it had been activated and then we got our debit cards a few days after we arrived and also ask them in the bank to print you off a statement to show what funds you have in the bank in OZ as you will need this to show the rental agent...so try get organised...we did and it was much easier !!! we were lucky we looked at quite a few houses and applied for 3 and were offered all 3 so we chose what we wanted....you have to make yourself get to the top of that list !!! cause at the end of the day its the landlord who has the say who he wants and the agents can advise them who they think is the best candidate !!!

Hi. we shipped a lot of personal stuff, toys, tvs, bed and bedding etc but then again we were in a holiday let to start off with so didn't need them straight away. The tv's were a mistake as they don't work over here without a box so we have bought a new one and ours is in the box in the garage and I wish I had brought our dryer as we are in Brisbane and it is very humid sometimes or for when it rains as you still need one occasionally. Smaller items like everyday household things you can get from K mart, target etc. Our container left on 7.11 and arrived with us at the end of January just ot give you some idea how long it took to get our stuff. Good Luck with it all.

Hi Millers

I have just received a job offer this morning for a job in Gladstone where my potential employer will be sponsoring us, I will generally be working in Gladstone with a visit to Rockhampton once a week and a visit to Brisbane once a month. After reading numerous posts it seems to me that Tannum has alot to offer for families. Me and my Fiancee are wedding on the 19th May and my potential employer thinks that we could be out as soon as June. We are a young family with 2 children William 8 and Jodie 3 and would appreciate any advice that you could provide. My main concerns are cost of living, so if its not to intrusive I would appreciate if you could provide me with an idea of your general monthly outgoings so I can see if I can make the numbers work? Also how do you find the bugs i.e spiders, snakes, mosquitos and cockroaches? and is the temperature bearable?

Many Thanks the Bilsland Family

Guest Shell15
Everything shipped over with no breakages. However, a work colleague shipped some crockery with sentimental value, and the whole lot was broken.

Hi can you tell me who you used to ship your goods and who your friend used, Im in the process of choosing a freight company and so nervous I will choose the wrong one!! I know there is a thread on here about shipping but just wanted your own opinion?

Many thanks Michelle

we used John Masons and they were great....we are just 4 weeks away from seeing our stuff again !!! yippee....BUT anyone be aware, we had an email from the handling agents here in Brisbane ( WRIDGEWAYS) saying that we have to pay a bill for "quarantine inspection feees" of $422.00 which we NEVER knew anything about!!!! so please be aware that whatever you ship accross to Australia remember there will be more to pay at this end !!!! and also when they call you to arrange a delivery date they dont seem to give you much notice and if you cannot have deliveryon that date they will charge you $45 per extra day it is in storage !!!!!!!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi

I sent my fridge off last week with John masons. You just need to check with the manufacturer of your fridge if there is a specific type of gas in the fridge. We have a Samsung fridge and the wrote to us and confirmed that the gas in our fridge is not harmful. We forwarded the email to John masons, and they added it with the paperwork for our container. That way the quarantine people will see that all is ok. (well I hope that's how it will go).

Another piece of advice when shipping your goods make sure everything has been packed and nothing has been missed and everything has been loaded, as we did miss 6 boxes and had to have them shipped separately. Not ideal really considering we have a 20ft container in its way to Sydney!!!

Guest kerry19

hi,

we are thinking of taking our car, does anyone know if they keep the car longer for quarantine after all our things have arrived?

kerry

It seems hard for me to decide whether to take over my white goods and TV. For example, I have an ok washer but it's actually 5 years old... Will it be worth paying the shipping fees on something that old?

Also, my TV is only about 2 years old, but I don't know if has a box? How can I tell? It is supposed to receive Freeview, although I use Sky - does that make a difference?

Archived