Re-qualifying in Oz

Guest Tom the Pom

Guest Tom the Pom

My lad will be completing his GCSE's before we leave the UK and will obviously have to re-do his quals in Oz.

How hard/easy is this to do? It would be nice to get them done sooner than later after he arrives - so things are still fresh in his mind. The main exams like english, maths, sciences, IT and technology.

Sounds like he will be in a similar position to my niece who had just finished her GCSE's and was about to start college to do A levels when they emigrated in Nov 04

She went back to school! most kids do not leave school until 18yrs old, not happy about going back into uniform at all

As they are in Melbourne she has completed the VIC, this is as far as I can tell a school leaving qualification and they need this if they are going to uni or TAFE (I think?)

it is different in each state I know

hope this is correct, I am sure there will be others along soon with more info

Karen

Hi, We are going to Queensland and I have mailed a couple of the schools about my 2 boys and their education. My eldest is 16 and will be taking his GCSE's here next year before we migrate and our plans are to hopefully move to Oz for Oct 2008.

Anyway the schools in Queensland said, that he would need to repeat at least a whole term of year 11 (not a problem as their school year will finish in the January 09), as the exams in year 12 are based on what is learnt in year 11. Anyway had a chat with my son and he is quite happy to repeat maybe a whole year of year 11 as he is a little concerned that 1 term will not be enough to pass exams in year 12. So defiantely he will be repeating some of if not all of year 11.

Hope the above is of use to you but not sure what state you are going to as they can vary

Good luck & Regards

• 2 months later...

Hi, We are going to Queensland and I have mailed a couple of the schools about my 2 boys and their education. My eldest is 16 and will be taking his GCSE's here next year before we migrate and our plans are to hopefully move to Oz for Oct 2008.

Anyway the schools in Queensland said, that he would need to repeat at least a whole term of year 11 (not a problem as their school year will finish in the January 09), as the exams in year 12 are based on what is learnt in year 11. Anyway had a chat with my son and he is quite happy to repeat maybe a whole year of year 11 as he is a little concerned that 1 term will not be enough to pass exams in year 12. So defiantely he will be repeating some of if not all of year 11.

Hope the above is of use to you but not sure what state you are going to as they can vary

Good luck & Regards

Hi There,

So glad you posted your tread, I am so worried about my son Lewis. He is in the final year of school and is about to sit his GCSE's he 16 now. We are coming to Queensland possibly the Gold Coast in the middle of 2009. Lewis has an educational statement and has learning support in class and i am stumped as to what he would be able to do in Aus as far as further education goes. We are concidering him either staying on in the 6th form for 1 year or going to college for the year instead, he has expressed an interest in Bricklaying so could do a foundation course in construction,which i supose would count for more in Aus. Is it true that the GCSE qualifications don't mean anything in Aus? Don't really know where to start with all this any advice you could give me would be really appreciated. Kind Regards Alison x

Hi There,

So glad you posted your tread, I am so worried about my son Lewis. He is in the final year of school and is about to sit his GCSE's he 16 now. We are coming to Queensland possibly the Gold Coast in the middle of 2009. Lewis has an educational statement and has learning support in class and i am stumped as to what he would be able to do in Aus as far as further education goes. We are concidering him either staying on in the 6th form for 1 year or going to college for the year instead, he has expressed an interest in Bricklaying so could do a foundation course in construction,which i supose would count for more in Aus. Is it true that the GCSE qualifications don't mean anything in Aus? Don't really know where to start with all this any advice you could give me would be really appreciated. Kind Regards Alison x

Hi Alison

They do say that the GCSE's dont count for anything in Australia, but not getting to tell my son this as after all this years at school in the UK it would be a shame not to make that final effort!! Having said that there was a post on here ages ago to say that you can take your GCSE's somewhere and they could be converted into Aus equivalent, not sure if anyone has any info on this?

Here in the UK the children leave in school year 11, but in Australia it is school year 12, so my son would prob be going back to school and doing some year 11 work and then doing year 12. I would like him to do this as would like him to get some school friends and have time to settle in Australia before he decides what he would like to do career wise in a new country. I believe from year 12 they can go onto TAFE which is a trade college. I have also read that in year 12 at some schools if not all that they have a day release to the world of work which sounds good.

Lets just hope our boys settle in well and find their feet

Good Luck xx

Guest Lardyarse

My son converted his GCSEs into a "Year 11 leaver's certificate". We live in Victoria and did this through the Victorian Curriculum & Assessment Authority. It was an easy process and didn't cost too much (if anything from what I remember). It states on the certificate that to be granted a Year 12 leaver's certificate he must have successfull completed from the UK at least two GCE A levles or four GCE AS levels. Hope this helps.

He then went onto TAFE and is still there 18 months later!!

Hi kdal,

Many thanks for your reply, your advice is much appreciated! Lewis has decided to stay on at school but only for a year in the 6th form, we are hoping to leave the UK after the terms ends in July 09 this will give us plenty of time before the Aussie school year begins to get things sorted for him, if he had to go back a year that would suit us also as being at school is the best way to make new friends. As for the GCSE's aparently you can have them converted into the Australian equivalent so it's worth getting them! but i don't know anything about that other than what has been posted on PIO. It's nice to know though as i thought it was a shame to have done all that work for them not to count for anything. I'm sure they will find their feet, it's just us being mothers i suspect!! Many thanks Alison x

HI all, so r u telling me I have to tell my son (15) that when he leaves school in '09' and we make the big move, that he has to go back to school over there for another year?

Guest pandj6224

Hi All,

Great to know that it's possible to convert my oldest son's (17) GCSE's to an Australian equivalent, what about A levels as he is in his last year now and will sit his last one in June ?? Also he has a C&G level 1 in computer maintinence and repair and is almost at the end of the C&G Level 2 for the same and also managed to get a Btec in Aviation studies throgh the ATC.

He wanted to join the RAF but we have managed to persuade him to hold off at the moment and give Australia a try, we do know that he could apply for the RAAF but would need to sit a maths, english and science test at the careers office, (this is because he couldn't provide any Australian Qualifications) this would then be sent to Vetassess and if all OK he would then have to sign an undertaking to become an Australian citizen within three months of his service !!He would then sit the entrance exam......It would save time and hassle if they could just be converted then....

I forgot to mention, we are now awaiting our meds we anticipate that these will be done at the end of March, we are sending the police check:policeman: forms next week and hope if all goes well that we will settle in SE Qld, around March/April next year, oh' forgot to mention we have four other children all in school 14/13/10 and 6, more on those next time.......

Thanks all....:idea: Maybe orth an e-mail to the Qld Education Dept.... And yes I know I'm a :chatterbox: me that is.... Pat

Pat & Janie

It all depends where you are going as to what age kids can leave school - for example in NSW/ACT it is 15 (actually they dont quibble over 14 yrs and 9 months) but in WA it is the end of the year that they turn 17.

GCSEs mean nothing - a leavers certificate doesnt mean much other than that they stuck it at school until they left (if you see what I mean)

Most kids begin year 11 when they are just 16 or about to turn 16 and then the next two years can either be a tertiary package which will give them a score that will give them entry into a university course or an accredited course which will give them a year 12 leaver's certificate.

Never think that kids are "repeating" or "going back" if they join with their age cohort here. This is the Aussie system and they are just going along with all their age peers, there are different approaches and different expectations so it wont be rehashing what they have done in UK. Even across states we dont have a universal curriculum so kids move from one to the other all the time.

If a kid is really resistant to going back to a "school" you can look at TAFE college either for vocational courses or academic ones if they want to go to university.

Archived