Buying a house

Peach

There is no hard a fast rule. It is just an indication that they want more than the figure listed. A bit of a fishing expedition really to see what they can get.

When we bought our last investment property we offered under the listed amount even though it was listed with a price +. Educate yourself about the suburb and prices comparable properties have sold for and then offer what you think a property is worth.

A real estate agent friend of ours (if thats possible) told us around 10% - why they don't just make that the price though is beyond me...

is amazing! I don't think I can pyschologically make myself offer an extra fifty or so grand, once I've seen the price they want offers over. I find it even more bizarre the places on All Homes that put 'Price by negotiation' - i.e. don't list any guide price.

• 3 months later...
Guest boothy

Hi there

Just noticed your post. We decided to opt out of the stress and have bought a block to build our own house. Stamp duty worked out cheaper as we have done both seperate and we don't have to worry about offering. We know what the land is costing and we have chosen a builder who is building to our budget.

Worth considering

Sam

on realestate.com if you're looking at a house, scroll down a bit and there'll be a list of the last few houses that have sold in that suburb, with the amount they sold for. Makes for very interesting reading.

I've been keeping an eye out in our suburb in Adelaide, and there's up to $200k difference between the original list prices and the selling prices of very similar houses that have actually sold. (these are houses in the $450-$600 range).

on realestate.com if you're looking at a house, scroll down a bit and there'll be a list of the last few houses that have sold in that suburb, with the amount they sold for. Makes for very interesting reading.

I've been keeping an eye out in our suburb in Adelaide, and there's up to $200k difference between the original list prices and the selling prices of very similar houses that have actually sold. (these are houses in the $450-$600 range).

Just check the dates though, in our area some suburbs are showing sales for 2012, and some are still showing sales for 2007 !!

It's quite hard to find out what prices property sold for here unless you are willing to pay for the information, unlike the UK where it's really easy to get that info free of charge.

Just check the dates though, in our area some suburbs are showing sales for 2012, and some are still showing sales for 2007 !!

It's quite hard to find out what prices property sold for here unless you are willing to pay for the information, unlike the UK where it's really easy to get that info free of charge.

These are properties that sold last month, so definitely up to date... Obviously the market will vary in different areas.

Guest Guest66881

Houses round our way are slowly moving upward again, not that we are going anywhere - never liked the two storey houses remind me to much of blighty.

These are properties that sold last month, so definitely up to date... Obviously the market will vary in different areas.

They must be a bit more on the ball keeping it up to date where you are than they are around here then :) Or maybe they just don't want us to know!

They must be a bit more on the ball keeping it up to date where you are than they are around here then :) Or maybe they just don't want us to know!

Or maybe nothing's sold recently? We live in quite a high turnaround area as close to the CBD, I'd expect some suburbs further out in areas where people tend to "settle" a bit longer would have fewer houses on the market anyway? maybe?

Archived