How Green is the grass on the other side

Guest ToMoveOrNotToMove

Guest yorkie01

To move or not to move is something not to be taken lightly. By all means go to Oz for a holiday but it will be just that. There is a bit of a romance with holidays.

I am from Harrogate and have lived in Brisbane for many years. I do also go back home as much as I can. I have family both in Brisbane and UK and there is not a day that goes by that I don't think about home. By home I do mean North Yorkshire.

There is a lot on here about is OZ more costly than UK and I think there are a lot of variables to factor in. It can get quite obsessive making comparisons between your Asda or Tesco shopping to Coles or Woolworths here. At the end of the day the money factor is not 100% of happiness. For me living here, there is emotional war constantly raging and a longing to go back to the UK. Don't get me wrong there are many great things about Oz and many beautiful places. It is however different.

It's very easy to say that if you have a comfortable lifestyle in the UK stick with it but everyone is different. You just have to figure out what it is that you want out of life. I was back there Christmas 2010 (Yes really bad weather and my flight into Heathrow was the first flight in after they opened after the snow). I got off the train in York and collected a car to drive through to Harrogate and it was -12. I honestly thought what the hell am I doing here. After a good night sleep I was slipping over on the pavement with out a care in the world and out in it everyday. Here I don't want to leave the air conditioned house in the summer. Making yourself warm is a lot easier than cooling down.

If you have any concerns or questions feel free to message me. I can certainly share my experiences with you.

I agree ..

We came here for a new life, new adventure and new experiences. It is not the UK its Australia and the grass is NOT always greener.

You cannot compare it too the UK if you live and work here IMPO as its setting yourself up for a fall.

Missing family is a huge deal and the hardest obstacle to overcome in my opinion.

It depends what you want out of life. Our life in the UK was dull, we were in debt, although we had our own home whic would of cleared it ( and did ) and had little social life really.

We never wanted too retire in the UK or raise the kids there, dreaming daily for over 10 yrs of moving here. ( we had never been for a holiday here, but my best friend had lived here for 20 yrs)

Its great taking a holiday here, too see if you like it the heat etc... but it really is very different living here anyway, working and learning here, so we were not that worried visiting first.

My husband had a decent job in the UK (same company he works for now, doing the same job) I was training as a nurse, we have 4 kids (3 were at school and one doing GCSE's), but we got the chance and we took it. We are now starting again, we no longer own and now rent (long story), we have little money left each month, but have a great life, live in a nice house, have a nice car.

It was the best thing we ever did but it is not for everyone. Its a different lifestyle and some will not like it.

Good luck and welcome xxx

This is just my opinion of course BUT I think that the people who set themselves up to fail in OZ are the ones who obsess about the purely financial aspects - constantly comparing prices, FX rates, differences in the supermarkets, complaining about the quality of the bloody 'snags' (bangers!) Treat it as an adventure or an extended holiday.

We moved without ever visiting. We did however do a LOT of research, disliked the UK anyway and were itching too move for MANY years. I also have a best friend who lived here.

We couldn't afford a 'trip' here anyway and had friends who loved it her.

From research it was what we wanted and we came with eyes wide open and accepted what we got.

People move all over the world and also within their own country with work or family, using research all the time, many do not 'visit' the area but go by reviews/people they know.

Visiting the coutnry is TOTALLY different than living here anyway, I know many people who visited and then got a shock moving here anyway. Its different living and working, studying and earning, than spending a leisurly holiday, relaxing and thinking thats what life will be like.

It really surprises me that there are people who move to Australia without ever once visiting the country. What's that all about? To my mind this should either be outlawed under the points system, or the system should be made harder with bonus points for those who had travelled to Australia in the past 5 years.

Hey all - first post on here, so hi from John, Georgina, Lucy, Rosie and Rory!

We are a busy and active family, currently living in North Yorkshire (near Harrogate) - and have a pretty good life. Ive a job that pays me extremely well, and at the moment my wife is taking time off her work to raise the kids (who are 6,5 and 10 months).

We have talked about the dream for a while now, and are getting more and more frequent with our discussions. Our lives seem to have been taken over with watching the reality TV programs (which i take with a pinch of salt, its a TV SHOW at the end of the day), browsing job sites, and talking about how life could be in Aus.

We both love the outdoor life, sport, running, biking - and are fed up with the British winters/Springs and Autums.. (lol)

We live in a good size detached, 2 cars, good disposable income from 1 job - so I really cant complain about life at the moment - however neither of us can get the niggle out of our heads. So much so, that were looking to head over in December for 3 weeks, probably around NSW area - quite close to Sydney, as i believe that to be where i have the best job prospects.

I have a million questions, as does my wife - and i would suspect she will be on here frequently, so for now - hi from us all.. anyone with hints tips, welcomes or other - please do let us know, as at the moment it all seems a little daunting with where to begin!

Bye for now..

John

It's an interesting question and you have received a myriad of replies already. On a forum such as this you may not receive the most balanced replies. Many migrants who have come over here, settled and are happy over here likely no longer use this forum - they have moved on from it. I'm still lurking while I wait for my PR to be granted.

For me personally, I don't think there can ever be a direct comparison. Neither country is better or worse, they are simply different. The grass was greener for me but I know that it doesn't work that way for everyone.

Can I suggest then if you come over on holiday, you make contact with people who have made the move - perhaps get in touch with friends of friends who have done something similar, I think every network has someone who has made the move - do some real research and find out how the land lies? I agree that a holiday won't be like real life (whatever that is!) but does give you the opportunity to look at the not so exciting things like salaries, cost of living etc but also the things that make life enjoyable.

[/color]

I have said before on these sorts of posts that there are two main types of migrant. There are those who get on and do the job at hand. They are the ones who make things happen, and who are most likely to settle because they make it work. Then there are those who wait for things to happen and expect Australia to give everything to them. Those are the ones who are destined to fail

Would you mind to give a little bit more explanation on this part, because to be frank I don't think you can categorize migrants like that, it is never as simple or black or white like that.

Secondly, the word "failure" or "destined to fail", doesn't really sits well with me, failed at what exactly?

Thank you for all this info - we are waiting to see if hubbie has got the job hes applied for in QLD (looking good so far) then we have to decide what to do, it all seems sureal at the moment but we have been researching for ages and read the books etc although not seen any reruns of wanted down under etc which I think is a good thing!!!

Good things to think about though.

H x

[/color]

".. ....I have said before on these sorts of posts that there are two main types of migrant. There are those who get on and do the job at hand. They are the ones who make things happen, and who are most likely to settle because they make it work. Then there are those who wait for things to happen and expect Australia to give everything to them. Those are the ones who are destined to fail."

I can’t agree that most (or even many) people fall neatly into the two categories described, or that a sense of determination is all that is required to make a move to Australia successful. There are many posts on MBTTUK for example, where people have made every effort to settle ( some times over a period that spans decades) and it is a little unfair to suggest that a failure to settle is the result of people expecting Australia to “give everything to them”. Maybe it takes a move to the other side of the world for some people to fully appreciate what they have left behind? If so, that has very little to do with Australia and more to do with reevaluating what matters most.